Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P1800s - Best upgrades

Views : 3227

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2015, 07:02   #1
Badgley

Default P1800s - Best upgrades

Hi all,

New to the forum and to P1800 ownership. We've just managed to get hold of a 1969 P1800s with 2.0l twin carb which needs quite an extensive renovation.

I've been looking through the forums to see what others have done with their P1800s and have a few questions for the group.

1) I've read a lot of threads about P1800 upgrades and wanted to find out which upgrades are worth doing. Ideally we'd like to keep the car as original as possible but with a few minor upgrades, i.e. upgrades that won't affect the aesthetics but which would make the car easier to live with day to day. There are lots of threads about suspension mods, brake upgrades, power steering, HID lights etc but was hoping to find out from those 'in the know' which upgrades were best and most sympathetic to the car.

2) The car is originally red with black leather interior which we'd ideally like to change to grey (factory colour which, I believe, was available in '69) with red leather interior. We're planning on keeping the car long term to enjoy and as a potential investment. If you were looking to buy a P1800, if it had undergone a colour change (even for a factory colour), would that put you off buying the car?

3) I've been looking at changing the factory stereo (and keeping the original boxed in case of resale later). Was looking at a retro style unit from here Has anyone had any experience of these units and do they look ok in the P1800?

Sorry for all the questions, really excited to get started restoring it now.
Badgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 10:18   #2
Groundes-Peace
Master Member

Great to see your interest in the P1800.
There are lots of options and ideas people have had in to get their cars to be a bit more "zippy" (as said by Jay Leno about these cars).
Perhaps if you could give an idea what you want out of the car in terms of performance and handling, maybe with a comparison of something else you have had or driven.
Colour and originality is an isse on which people are divided. In some ways keeping to as close as possible to the factory build of you particular car is best.
As the chassis plate will reveal this, some would say stick to that.
However moving to a colour that the factory made at that time is a good alternative.
Groundes-Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 14:53   #3
Groundes-Peace
Master Member

Finally on the subject of radio.
In my view if the radio is to be in the dash, it seems best to have a unit that could have come from the era of the car, all be it with rebuilt workings.
This is much preferable to a "retro" looking unit, which in my view don't look right.
If you decide to have something modern, hide this and have a Volvo blanking plate in the dash.
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 15:00   #4
222s
Amazoniste

The decent retro units (e.g Retro Sound) are spindle mount, so can be fitted without modifying the dash - so even if not to all tastes, such an installation is completely and easily reversible. With careful choice of bezel and knobs, the Retro Sound units can look quite convincing. The latest versions (they seem to be constantly evolving) seem to be addressing the aesthetic issues relating to the small central LCD screen, and (at least, when switched off!) look far more like a genuine old radio than the first versions.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 16:19   #5
Badgley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundes-Peace View Post
Great to see your interest in the P1800.
There are lots of options and ideas people have had in to get their cars to be a bit more "zippy" (as said by Jay Leno about these cars).
Perhaps if you could give an idea what you want out of the car in terms of performance and handling, maybe with a comparison of something else you have had or driven.
Colour and originality is an isse on which people are divided. In some ways keeping to as close as possible to the factory build of you particular car is best.
As the chassis plate will reveal this, some would say stick to that.
However moving to a colour that the factory made at that time is a good alternative.
To be honest, having not driven the car yet (it's not roadworthy at at the moment), I'm not sure where it needs to be improved but was thinking more generally about the driving experience and what others believe to be worthwhile upgrades to make the driving experience better in comparison with modern cars. For example, to upgrade the braking system, power steering, brighter headlights - things that will make the car easier to live with day to day but won't detract from the nature of the car (i.e. not looking to put 20 inch wheels on it and lowering the suspension).

From the opinions of other P1800 owners I was hoping to find out whether any of the upgrades are worth doing or whether, for example adding power steering is a waste of money and/or ruins the behaviour. I don't want to do anything that will adversely affect the appeal of the car but maybe a few minor tweaks that will improve it.
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 17:54   #6
Groundes-Peace
Master Member

There is a lot to be done to perk up the engine, if you want to go that route.
The suspension and brakes likewise.
Personally I don't think power steering is a benefit on the P1800 as it is not a heavy car, and with something close to the original tyres, the steering is very pleasant as is.
I think if you have the B20 (2 litre engine) with well set up twin SU carbs, ignition working fine, and the compression showing the engine to be healthy, I would not do a lot to this initially.
Make sure the brakes and suspension are good.
Also that you have a clean fuel tank; replace if necessary.
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 17:56   #7
Groundes-Peace
Master Member

Final thought on the suspension. This should not be lowered much as the front wheels will catch the wings on full lock which can be quite alarming!
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 18:13   #8
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I would say don't even think about anything else until you've got the body restoration done. Don't spend any money at this stage on anything until the body and paint is done! If it needs an extensive restoration it's going to cost a lot. Then get your mechanicals reconditioned and working as close to new as possible. Then suspension and then interior. Then tweak things to your liking if required.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 19:28   #9
Badgley

I wouldn't consider lowering the car to be honest, it looks so good with standard suspension I wouldn't want to ruin it. Good point about the fuel tank, will look into that.

Was thinking about changing all of the bushes for poly bushes, new radiator, distributor (does the original p1800 have points or electronic distie?), all new hoses, filters etc, maybe waterless coolant etc. Hopefully nothing too drastic.

Will have to think hard on the colour change though. Generally not too keen on red cars (unless it's Rosso red and born in Italy :-) ). Will also need to check whether it can use unleaded. Any ideas how much it would cost to sort the valve seats for unleaded?
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 19:30   #10
Badgley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khe Sanh View Post
I would say don't even think about anything else until you've got the body restoration done. Don't spend any money at this stage on anything until the body and paint is done! If it needs an extensive restoration it's going to cost a lot. Then get your mechanicals reconditioned and working as close to new as possible. Then suspension and then interior. Then tweak things to your liking if required.
Planning on getting a full restoration done professionally at the same time but you're right - first thing will be sorting out the tin worm.