Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying Parts from Nordicar in Netherlands

Views : 2476

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 29th, 2021, 18:02   #1
Salop Farmer

Default Buying Parts from Nordicar in Netherlands

Just learnt an expensive lesson that I would like all members to be aware of. I spotted a couple of expensive PV544 parts that had been reduced on this company’s web site. The bill came to £750 which I was happy with. Nordicar use UPS as a carrier and my items arrived in UK on 14 Jan. They have sat in their warehouse in Castle Donnington ever since. It is virtually impossible to speak to a human being at UPS as their website/ app. won’t let you. Today I received an email from them telling me they wanted an additional £195 customs duty/vat to be paid before they would deliver my package. Never had this issue before. So much for Boris’s Brexit Deal !
Salop Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Salop Farmer For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 18:14   #2
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salop Farmer View Post
Just learnt an expensive lesson that I would like all members to be aware of. I spotted a couple of expensive PV544 parts that had been reduced on this company’s web site. The bill came to £750 which I was happy with. Nordicar use UPS as a carrier and my items arrived in UK on 14 Jan. They have sat in their warehouse in Castle Donnington ever since. It is virtually impossible to speak to a human being at UPS as their website/ app. won’t let you. Today I received an email from them telling me they wanted an additional £195 customs duty/vat to be paid before they would deliver my package. Never had this issue before. So much for Boris’s Brexit Deal !
Yes the same as importing from anywhere now; taxes on value, shipping and a handling fee I imagine.
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 20:15   #3
PVPVPV

It would be interesting to see whether the Norwegians - who voted to leave EU partly around fish! and partly because they believed the EU regulations would be too lax (where apart from Norway would you get a 5 year guarantee on a second hand car bought from a dealer, 3 for a private sale) - have negotiated better import deals.
PVPVPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 22:42   #4
142 Guy
Master Member

Been there, done that, payed the fees!

I don't know about the EU to GB transactions; but, when I get Volvo parts via UPS from the EU the most aggravating feature are the administrative and brokerage fees that UPS charges. Some of the vendors used to send parts by postal service rather than courier service and my experience was that the brokerage / administration fees charged by Canada Post for in bound parcels was minimal. For parcels under about $150 Canada Post and Border Services will often waive the admin fees, taxes and duty because the cost of collection is higher than there flat fee structure. Not so with UPS and the other couriers. They will never waive those fees. In part they probably don't have the authority to do that; but, its probably not in their interest because their brokerage fee associated with collecting that stuff is probably a significant revenue generator for them.

Having done the cross border dance with parts from the US, EU, GB and Japan I have two pieces of advice.

1- Have a look at the break down of the additional invoice from UPS to see how much of the additional charge is UPS administration fees and brokerage services. If it is significant then next time you order parts from an EU vendor see if they provide the option of shipping by postal service which may have a lower parcel rate and lower brokerage and admin fees (and will undoubtedly be slower).

2 - Some vendors will not do Postal service because they are tied into the courier's shipping information system which manages pick up at their site, shipping cost calculations, billing and all that other administrative crap. In that case you are stuck. In the case of UPS they have an option for on-line pre payment of their fees which reduces some of their administrative fees. Not a big savings; but, perhaps enough for 3 or 4 pints at the pub depending on the size of your order.

The duty and taxes on import are payable to the Sovereign and may be like death, unavoidable; but, you may be able to manage the other fees.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 23:14   #5
sleek lemur

Was thinking of purchasing something from Nordicar and called to enquire. They said they don't collect VAT on behalf of UK government and that they can't comment on any additional admin fees we might face.

Since UK suppliers will get some of their stock from EU, I guess that we might expect to see price rises even when buying domestically.
sleek lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 00:11   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

On £700 the vat would be £150. Did the 700 include the shipping? If not there is also vat on the shipping.
handling fee is usually around £10-20
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 08:31   #7
Salop Farmer

Hi Dai actual bill was £734 shipping £40 - So vat in UK would be £155 and UPS are asking £39 handling fee. . Am I naive or what but my understanding of Boris’s deal was that imports/exports to UK would stay the same as pre Brexit! What will these new tariffs do to new car prices I wonder?
Salop Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Salop Farmer For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 08:35   #8
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Hi Dai actual bill was £734 shipping £40 - So vat in UK would be £155 and UPS are asking £39 handling fee. . Am I naive or what but my understanding of Boris’s deal was that imports/exports to UK would stay the same as pre Brexit! What will these new tariffs do to new car prices I wonder?
No tariffs on good, you still need to pay tax. In the past you paid vat in the EU, now you shouldn’t and you pay tax when it comes in here. If they charged you vat contact them and tell them they need to refund you.
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 12:44   #9
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
You’re not being charged a tariff - you’re being charged VAT. Previously you paid for the goods including Dutch VAT and the shipping cost. Now you’re being charged for the goods; the shippers are charging for shipping, U.K. VAT on the goods and the shipping and an admin fee for administering the VAT collection and payment. There’s no import tariffs for goods bought in the U.K. that are imported from the EU.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 12:50   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I think more the issue is the £40 UPS have charged for handling VAT. Combine that with about the extra £10 being charged for extra paperwork.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: