Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122

Views : 644624

Replies : 1365

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2022, 06:20   #61
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers1712 View Post
Another useless fact, the same interior light is used in Aston Martin DB5's!

I guess its probably a generic Lucas item is it?
Wonderful,

Perhaps we can arrange for Great Aunt Maud to meet Mr Roberts soon? 'Lizabeth may be persuaded to bring Delores as well - Olney fish and chip shop some time in February?

Alan

PS. I could do with your advice on the dash pad:

... and also these shut plates:

... to which it would appear the rear mud flaps attach:

Last edited by Othen; Jan 12th, 2022 at 06:30.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2022, 07:52   #62
packers1712

Sounds like a date! regarding dash pad advice I'm not sure what I can bring to the party, I bit the bullet and replaced Mr Robert's his looked pretty much like GAM's, as to a more cost effective repair solution maybe some of the more seasoned forum members have some solutions!

Doug.
packers1712 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to packers1712 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2022, 08:44   #63
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Sounds like a date! regarding dash pad advice I'm not sure what I can bring to the party, I bit the bullet and replaced Mr Robert's his looked pretty much like GAM's, as to a more cost effective repair solution maybe some of the more seasoned forum members have some solutions!

Doug.
Hi Doug,

I'll ask 'Lisabeth when she might be able to come along and we'll find a date. I should have GAM back on the road in a week or so.

We can talk about the dash pad, and how best to fix it then.

Alan
Old Jan 12th, 2022, 12:41   #64
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

How easy is it to remove the crash pad from the dashboard Alan? What i have seen done on other cars is the gap in the foam is filled with adhesive and then pushed together. Some cars you can do it in the car, others not, i'm assuming not on GAM.

Once it has set and closed the gap, either a final layer of a compound that isn't just a glue but provides a surface similar to original, the whole lot is then covered in a leather/vinyl dye to refresh and even the colour or a layer of vinyl glued over the whole lot, paying attention to the "flutes" in the dash using a heat-gun to help it get in the grooves/flutes or a 4-way adhesive vinyl. Something along the lines of this, this is in the USA but products similar are available in the UK so is shown for information only :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392792108367

There are other finishes available such as alcantara, carpet and so on. Presumably you'll want to keep it close to the original though and for that i found this material but it only has a 1-way stretch so may not be as suitable :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224033439894

Normally spray carpet adhesive is the glue of choice but going back to my original suggested method, the compound i was trying to think of is used for filling cracks in leather and vinyl and is usually colour coded :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393851698751

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323456518343

A couple of options there, i'll let you do your research and decide which product is best for you and/or which method. Just suggestions as to how i've seen it done.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2022, 15:19   #65
Splinelube

Quote:
Another useless fact, the same interior light is used in Aston Martin DB5's!

I guess its probably a generic Lucas item is it?
Perhaps the VW bug as well?
Splinelube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2022, 17:11   #66
Othen
Premier Member

To my absolute amazement my 17 year old son has declared that the Amazon is a really cool car. He has never liked the 244, I suppose the 1970s Abba styling doesn't appeal to youngsters, but the 1960s look does.

That is marvellous news for Aunt Maud, but a nail in the coffin for the RB.

:-)
:-(
Old Jan 12th, 2022, 17:18   #67
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Fine Alan you can send the RB my way, I've got a lovely B230FK, M90 gearbox and holset turbo that will do well in the RB
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2022, 17:20   #68
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
How easy is it to remove the crash pad from the dashboard Alan? What i have seen done on other cars is the gap in the foam is filled with adhesive and then pushed together. Some cars you can do it in the car, others not, i'm assuming not on GAM.

Once it has set and closed the gap, either a final layer of a compound that isn't just a glue but provides a surface similar to original, the whole lot is then covered in a leather/vinyl dye to refresh and even the colour or a layer of vinyl glued over the whole lot, paying attention to the "flutes" in the dash using a heat-gun to help it get in the grooves/flutes or a 4-way adhesive vinyl. Something along the lines of this, this is in the USA but products similar are available in the UK so is shown for information only :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392792108367

There are other finishes available such as alcantara, carpet and so on. Presumably you'll want to keep it close to the original though and for that i found this material but it only has a 1-way stretch so may not be as suitable :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224033439894

Normally spray carpet adhesive is the glue of choice but going back to my original suggested method, the compound i was trying to think of is used for filling cracks in leather and vinyl and is usually colour coded :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393851698751

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323456518343

A couple of options there, i'll let you do your research and decide which product is best for you and/or which method. Just suggestions as to how i've seen it done.
Many thanks Dave,

I think the problem with the dash pad is that it is 58 years old and brittle - if I tried to remove it, or even stretch it I think the fabric would just tear.

What I have done is use some of the Sikaflex I got to seal the windscreen to cover over the cracks. This has worked tolerably well and the pad doesn't irritate me - I'll take a photo tomorrow. In the longer term I probably have a choice between just leaving it (probably okay) or replacing it (nice but expensive). Brookhouse Volvo sells the pad for about £240, which is a lot for a bit of foam and vinyl - plus I suppose another tenner for some glue and a few clips - so a £250 fix. I was going to have a look at Doug's motor car (Mr Roberts) some time next month and decide whether it is worth a £250 investment, or perhaps consider it part of Great Aunt Maud's patina.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jan 12th, 2022 at 17:31.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2022, 17:22   #69
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Fine Alan you can send the RB my way, I've got a lovely B230FK, M90 gearbox and holset turbo that will do well in the RB
Eeeeek! That would terrify the RB Luke!
Old Jan 12th, 2022, 18:28   #70
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
To my absolute amazement my 17 year old son has declared that the Amazon is a really cool car. He has never liked the 244, I suppose the 1970s Abba styling doesn't appeal to youngsters, but the 1960s look does.

That is marvellous news for Aunt Maud, but a nail in the coffin for the RB.

:-)
:-(
A nail in the coffin for the RB ?

You youngsters are all the same, head turned by a pretty face………
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post: