Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

fuel guage problems

Views : 769

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 23:29   #1
montrealblue
VOC Member

Default fuel guage problems

The guage on my car registers full all of the time.If I disconnect the sender guage registers empty and the low fuel light comes on.I have tried substituting the sender unit and it makes no difference. I have changed the guage result is still the same.Can anyone point me in the right direction to solve my problems? The car is a 1996 2.3 turbo automatic.
montrealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 02:07   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Sounds like the sender is falling to pieces. Would be worthwhile taking it out to see if it can be repaired. If that is no go replace it with new (just the sender not the in-tank fuel pump as well).

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 17:47   #3
montrealblue
VOC Member

Default fuel guage problem

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the reply, I have tried substituting the sender unit but this made no difference.Don't really know what to try next apart from keeping the tank full.
David
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 22:11   #4
Mike Arnold
Master Member

Could be that the wiring is shorting to ground (have I got that right?). Have you tried manually moving the sender (out of the tank) to see if the gauge needle moves from full to empty?

All the best.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 09:30   #5
montrealblue
VOC Member

Unhappy Fuel guage problem

Hi Mike
Thanks for the suggestion but I have tried with a spare sender. I know the float is moving freely in the spare sender, I can feel it through the casing and I have also checked the resistance at various levels and this gives me a consistant change graduated over the range. It doesn't make any difference to the reading on the guage. i.e.:- sender connected guage reads full, sender disconnected guage reads empty and low fuel light comes on. I also have a spare guage which I have tried with the same result.
Although I have a fairly good knowledge of electrical theory I find that car electrics seem to be a bit of a mystery at times.
I am coming to the conclusion that this must be down to a possible earth fault somewhere on the system, problem is where to start.
Getting more and more frustrated,
David
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 20:42   #6
djgeoff
Middle Aged Member

Smile fuel gauge problem

i hope this helps i can only tell you what i did in desperation. my problem was the opposite to yours i think my gauge was reading empty but when i tapped the dash quite hard the gauge worked again. so i got myself set gauges from scrappy and swapped, that didnt quite work as there were slight differences, so i decided to take the scrappy apart. ( to practice on b4 i took mine apart) then i returned the scrappy one and got me money back ( rebuilt of course).
once i had mine apart and got to the floppy circuit board on the rear i went over every joint very carefully and resoldered the joints to my amazment this worked and is still going now. since then i have repaired aleast 4 volvos with the same method, resoldering the joints and everyone still happy.
i could not believe i had found it after having wirring loom checks, sender unit in and out etc etc etc
hope this helps you
regards
geoff
djgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote