Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

480 Dash Lights + Engine Type

Views : 913

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 18:36   #1
itgoesliketheclappers
itgoesliketheclappers

Default 480 Dash Lights + Engine Type

Just added to my Volvo collection a 1991(j) 480 ES. However the dash lights for the speedo arnt working, (the rev counter and the info centre are fine) so i guess its the bulbs and they will have to be replaced. i havent got round to getting a haynes manual yet but was wondering if any one could give me an idea how to do this little job?
also the 2,7 and 9 series have the engine number on a sticker on the timing belt cover, should the 480 have the same? if not how can i find out which engine variant it is for spares etc?
any help/advice would be appreciated
cheers
itgoesliketheclappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 21:50   #2
SteveR
SteveR

Taking out the info centre is straightforward if a bit fiddly - care is needed.
Haynes manuals can be bought off ebay for low money.

The headlight switch just pulls out as does the block of 3 switches above it, look for plastic tags though as it is sometime since I did it.

Remove clock and fan selector

There are a 8 screws (a couple have covers over them) to release the surround and the 2 mounting screws and once these are undone the info centre can be wriggled out. Access to teh bulbs behind is straight forward.

I recommend getting a spar einfor centre off ebay - they are a good source of spares and allows you to familiarise yourself with the info centre.
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 22:10   #3
itgoesliketheclappers
itgoesliketheclappers

Default Thank You

Cheers for that steve, ill have a crack at it one night this week and let you know how i get on. icidentally, i have some 240,740 and 940 instrument clusters will the bulbs be compatable?
no problems if there not, ill just do with out a rev counter light.
thanks again for the advice.
PS. i took your advice and have got a bid on a manual on ebay.
itgoesliketheclappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 09:52   #4
Teal480

Default Compatible bulbs

Hi there - I've recently bought a 480S and found some of the bulbs gone - although I didn't change the dash one's (only the 'lights on' gone) I think the bulbs will do the job - for the light column and
heater control lights I had to purchase just the bulbs to push into the fittings, but for the dash unit the bulbs should b ok (I kept a load of spares when I sold my 740 estate), regards, Nick
Teal480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 22:03   #5
Chris1Roll

Look down by the dipstick tube, covered in oil and gunk will be a silver plate, which will have the engine designation and the engine number stamped on it.
Chris1Roll is offline   Reply With Quote