Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wi-fi / Internet connectivity issues

Views : 1192

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2020, 18:56   #1
rp83

Default Wi-fi / Internet connectivity issues

I’ve got an iPhone X which use to connect to my XC90 the moment I turned on the ignition and internet was through Bluetooth connection as well. However, since last couple of weeks, while it connects to Bluetooth (music and calls), it doesn’t connect internet and doesn’t ping with the text messages etc.

I’ve checked all is allowed through Bluetooth on the phone but for my life I can’t dig out what la changed. Anyone else in the same boat?
Old Dec 21st, 2020, 20:19   #2
BroadwayBlueshirt

Have you tried to unpair/re-pair it? That often does the trick
Old Dec 21st, 2020, 20:47   #3
rp83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlueshirt View Post
Have you tried to unpair/re-pair it? That often does the trick
I did indeed but no joy :-(
Old Dec 21st, 2020, 20:55   #4
BroadwayBlueshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp83 View Post
I did indeed but no joy :-(
Sorry I can`t help then bud. I don`t have an iphone so know nowt about them.
Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 10:44   #5
met24

There might be a couple of things at play here. The phone needs to be configured to allow the car to access messages and t'Internet, and similarly the car needs to be configured to request that access!

Let's look at the phone first. (Do this while the car is shut down or out of range.)

The iPhone will only do Internet sharing over Bluetooth if Personal Hotspot is enabled -- for that, on the phone, go into Settings, and Personal Hotspot is in the first block of settings along with Airplane Mode, Bluetooth etc. Go into Personal Hotspot and make sure that it's turned on.

Then go into Bluetooth and look for your car in My Devices -- click on the little "i" icon and make sure that Show Notifications is turned on. (You probably want Sync Contacts on as well ...)

With all of that done, when the car asks to access messages and the Internet, the phone should let it.

Now let's look at the car. (For this bit, forgive me for working from the manual!) Go into Settings -> Communication -> Bluetooth Devices and find your phone -- make sure that under "Allowed Services" you've got all the options selected including messages and Internet access.

In my experience, unpairing and repairing will often turn Show Notifications off. If Personal Hotspot is off, you might have done that by accident.

A few notes on Personal Hotspot:

If it's turned off on the phone, then other Apple devices on your iCloud account (eg laptop or iPad) can ask the phone to turn Hotspot on, but nothing else can.

If it's turned on, it won't be advertising WiFi unless you are in the Personal Hotspot page in Settings, but devices that know about the WiFi hotspot (and the Bluetooth) can still connect even if you're not on that page. So if you'd set the car up to connect over WiFi, it won't find the phone's WiFi hotspot unless you're on that page, but Bluetooth should work as long as Personal Hotspot is turned on.

Give all that a try (maybe after a cuppa!) and let us know
met24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to met24 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 21:13   #6
rp83

Thanks. Followed it step by step and yet no joy. It connects to the phone just fine. All requests allowed on the phone and on Sensus but not connecting. I noticed couple of things - 1) when I’m looking at the Sensus’ phone screen, it highlights the Globe sign to indicate it’s connected to internet/hotspot and then it blacks out again (indicating it’s no longer connected), and every time it happened, music playing via Bluetooth cut out for half a second!

All very weird but that all said, I tried a work phone, iPhone SE. And it connected seamlessly. Makes me thing it’s the setting on my iPhone X. Driving me bonkers tbh!
Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 22:06   #7
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
All very weird but that all said, I tried a work phone, iPhone SE. And it connected seamlessly. Makes me thing it’s the setting on my iPhone X. Driving me bonkers tbh!
This does sound weird:
1. Have your tried a full “forced” reboot of your iPhone - this will often cure many issues.
2. Are you on the latest IOS 14.3, if not upgrade as that may have a few more fixes that could help.
Old Dec 23rd, 2020, 08:34   #8
CoopsSA
Volvo Newbie

Quote:
Thanks. Followed it step by step and yet no joy. It connects to the phone just fine. All requests allowed on the phone and on Sensus but not connecting. I noticed couple of things - 1) when I’m looking at the Sensus’ phone screen, it highlights the Globe sign to indicate it’s connected to internet/hotspot and then it blacks out again (indicating it’s no longer connected), and every time it happened, music playing via Bluetooth cut out for half a second!

If the globe icon in the top left corner of the screen isn't showing then it's your modem that is at fault. I had the same issue and eventually had the modem replaced under warranty.
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 18:49   #9
rp83

Finally cracked this. Apparently, a known issue and happens from time to time. Changed the network selection on my phone from automatic to manual and there, done!
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 22:01   #10
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Finally cracked this. Apparently, a known issue and happens from time to time. Changed the network selection on my phone from automatic to manual and there, done!
even so... it should work on automatic mode. mine works.