Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MPGuino, MPG Meter-Will it work?

Views : 1747

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 19:16   #1
oldyoungman
Young, but truely old.

Default MPGuino, MPG Meter-Will it work?

Hi all.
I am an Eco driver, and use the MPG Calculator on my Website, to calculate my MPG accurately, to better understand my driving styles' effect on consumption.(I do quite well, 42 average, over 36 manufacture stated)
Does anyone know if the MPGuino, will work with my car(In my Signature)?
And if so, I need to know the location of, the connections/terminals for the Vehicle Speed Sensor, and Fuel Injector.
If not, do you know of anything else similar that Will work, I know my car is not OBD compliant, so the ScanGauge won't work.
Many thanks in advance.
Tom.
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 10:48   #2
B20F
Master Member

There is no speedsensor signal. The speedometer is mechanical driven by a cable. Only the turbo versions with a infocentre are electronical driven, and those have allready a reading for average and actual fuel consumption. There are eco meters for the 400serie which you can install in the dash (scrapyard). Those mechanical, not electronical, meters work with a coloured scale and are connected to the inlet manifold with a small vacuum hose. If the needle is in the green part of the scale you drive economical, yellow and red are the next colours. Very basic system.
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 12:46   #3
oldyoungman
Young, but truely old.

Hi B20F...

Thanks for the reply...
Tis a shame, but never mind.
I'll look into the other one though.
Thanks again,
Tom.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 10:45   #4
Chris_C
Gopher

The cable driven speedo's have an electronic sensor on the speedo head itself that can provide a speed sensor output. If you arn't scared of a bit of electronic work, this can be made to fit.

You can tell if you have a cable or electronic speedo by looking at the needle, electronic needles have the red bit going through the pivot, mechanical ones the red stops before the pivot. (he thinks... but it'd be really sensible to check as I've been asleep since I last looked at either )

EDIT:

Looks an interesting project. If I had a 400 lying about I'd take some pictures of where you need to connect it It's not going to be a straight plug in by a long shot (I'm currently struggling to remember where the speedo sensor signal goes after the speedo head, but I'm pretty certain it's needed by the ECU as it's a variation of the one I have in my engineswapped 300) So, there should be a wire between dash cluster and ECU that you can tap.

Last edited by Chris_C; Dec 1st, 2009 at 10:53.
Chris_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 11:36   #5
oldyoungman
Young, but truely old.

Hi, thanks for that Chris.
I'v had a look through the Schematics, and found out that it does have a VSS that I can tap into, but along with that and the injector, I have no idea where to start looking, but will pursue it one day, probably early new year, I'v still got to solder up the Arduino.
I have written down some information regarding the wires, that makes sense for me:
Injector: Red(Ground(2)) Grey-Red(Carrier(3)); 21 On ECU.
VSS: Green(X3: 18, 20(2.6, 2.12)(3, 2(KMH)))
Yeah, it does to me.
I'll keep you posted,
Many thanks,
Tom.

Tags
fuel, gauge, meter, mpg, scan