Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2018 XC60 Map update via USB corrupted digital display unit

Views : 1810

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2019, 10:46   #1
Neo79

Angry 2018 XC60 Map update via USB corrupted digital display unit

Hi All

I purchased my brand new XC60 R-design Pro T5 in Sept 2018 and have really been very happy with my vehicle until my recent incident. While attempting to update the maps to the latest version via USB, it has corrupted the digital display unit, something I didn't even think would be possible.

Here's the long story, so over this last week, I downloaded the latest maps from the Volvo site and then copied over the maps to the USB stick. Upon plugging in the USB the system initially asked if I would like to update the maps and I tapped on accept. It briefly showed a percentage of completion and then changed to loading. I was driving somewhere so had put in a destination into the sat nav, as I thought best to go for a long drive while it installs the maps (as I had heard it can take forever to do so), when the system changed to 'Loading..' I noticed my digital display had frozen and the maps on the drivers display were no longer updating. I then attempted to remove and re-insert the USB stick (thinking something had got stuck).. once I did that the entire system went blank and the map on the driver display disappeared. Since then I have had no navigation system and the voice control also doesn't work.

I took my vehicle to Volvo Reading and after trying to update the maps via the software unsuccessfully, they contacted Volvo technical in Sweden who looked at the car remotely and identified that the entire driver digital display unit seems to be corrupted and needs replacing! This was obviously very distressing and surprising... even more so because the unit is going to take 3 to 4 weeks to arrive. So in the interim I am left with an expensive brand new vehicle which has no sat nav!

I'm posting this to see if anyone else has had the same issue and as a warning to other XC60 owners to avoid the USB map update.

I am very upset that this could even happen. I've had many vehicles in my lifetime incl. BMW, VW, Honda and Citroen and I have never experienced anything like this. To say I am disappointed is an understatement. I expected more from a brand like Volvo.

Last edited by Neo79; Jan 17th, 2019 at 10:49.
Neo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Neo79 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 16:23   #2
Geggan

I had the exact same problem with my 5 days old V60 back in November.
After a couple of failed attempts to update at the dealer they identified that a hardware unit needed to be replaced. 4 weeks later I got the replacement and everything works since then.
I have not made any new attempts to update my maps even if my car prompts me every day that updates is available.

Last edited by Geggan; Jan 22nd, 2019 at 16:27.
Geggan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geggan For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 17:20   #3
cassell
Member since 1988

I've uploaded map updates via both OTA and USB to my V90 several times without any problem over the past 18 months.

One thing I've never done is try to programme a destination into the satnav whilst it was doing the download or installation over a journey, that may be where your problem eminates from?
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 08:25   #4
Neo79

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggan View Post
I had the exact same problem with my 5 days old V60 back in November.
After a couple of failed attempts to update at the dealer they identified that a hardware unit needed to be replaced. 4 weeks later I got the replacement and everything works since then.
I have not made any new attempts to update my maps even if my car prompts me every day that updates is available.
Thank you, that's good to know it resolved your issue. I just hope mine will be sorted out with the new unit.
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 08:26   #5
Neo79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
I've uploaded map updates via both OTA and USB to my V90 several times without any problem over the past 18 months.

One thing I've never done is try to programme a destination into the satnav whilst it was doing the download or installation over a journey, that may be where your problem eminates from?
Possibly but you'd think you should be able to do that considering how long it takes to update the maps.

Last edited by Neo79; Jan 26th, 2019 at 08:34.
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 17:44   #6
dchbrown

When doing a full map update i have always worried about the fact that the map display on the dashboard just hangs once it starts and then sits there until the update is completed and the car restarted.

I guess that this is how errors occur...
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 18:57   #7
John Robins

Is the answer to complete the download before using the sat nav? I hesitate to update the maps now! I presume that either usb port inside the centre arm rest console will be OK to use?
John Robins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 11:02   #8
roundyuk

I've used my nav whilst the download has been happening in the background OTA - doesn't seem to cause an issue, i think its when it goes to "installing" you cant use it.
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 16:51   #9
Neo79

Happy to report that Volvo have now replaced the digital dash unit and all it's working fine. In future I will just update the maps via Mobile data. It's much safer.
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 17:24   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo79 View Post
Happy to report that Volvo have now replaced the digital dash unit and all it's working fine. In future I will just update the maps via Mobile data. It's much safer.
The car still has plenty of warranty I would be trying every map update available to test it before the warranty expires .It is not something you are doing wrong.. This is NOT a "usual" thing that happens with most units of course , It is individual your particular display for some reason . The vast majority have no problem at all . Your new display will have the very latest firmware in it so any latest bugs will be sorted .

Tags
digital display corrupt, usb map update issue