Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC40 T3 R-Design new clutch and now crankshaft issue at 50k

Views : 693

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2024, 21:22   #1
KingJ

Angry XC40 T3 R-Design new clutch and now crankshaft issue at 50k

Hello Volvo community,

I'm reaching out for some advice on an issue I've been experiencing with my 2019 Volvo XC40 T3 R-Design. I purchased this vehicle outright in September 2023, which means it's no longer under warranty.

On Thursday, December 21st, I began experiencing unexpected vibrations from the clutch pedal. The sound accompanying these vibrations was equally concerning. I promptly took my car to a local mechanic shop for a diagnosis. They recommended a full replacement of the clutch and flywheel.

They installed a new clutch, flywheel, and slave cylinder using approved Volvo parts yesterday (Wednesday 3rd Jan 2024). The total cost was £1300, plus labor. However, the vibrations persisted as soon as I drove away, particularly when the car is idle. You can view a video of the issue here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/djxMkYbx3sFbJ1B67

After several discussions with the garage, they agreed to consult with Volvo directly. Volvo's tentative diagnosis suggests a potential crankshaft issue. They've suggested I bring my car in for a more thorough diagnostic check, which would cost an additional £85. They mentioned the possibility of a goodwill gesture but couldn't confirm until they can thoroughly diagnose the issue.

At this point, I feel somewhat disappointed. I'm concerned that the local garage may have rushed into replacing parts without proper diagnosis. Now, I'm dependent on the Volvo dealership's goodwill, and I'm not certain what the outcome will be. There's also the possibility that the local garage may have incorrectly installed the new clutch and flywheel. In any case, I'm £1300 out of pocket, with a car I can't use, and facing a potential additional cost of up to £3000.

To add to my concern, this car has only logged 52,000 miles in four years.

I'm turning to this community for advice. Has anyone experienced a similar issue? What steps did you take? What were the results? I would greatly appreciate any insights or recommendations you might have.

Thanks in advance for your help!
KingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2024, 14:17   #2
UltraSpartan

Hi

From what I've gathered there are numerous instances of T3 manual XC40 that appear to have had poorly fitted or not fit for purpose Thrust bearings. I've read several threads where the suggestion is to check End Float tolerances on the crankshaft for any play. It seems this was an issue with largely MY19-20 onward cars.

Worrying for me too as I also bought an MY19 Inscription Pro T3 2 months ago with only 12000 on the clock.

No symptoms as yet thankfully but it concerns me so will get it checked within the Selekt Warranty.and hope it's honoured. It seems a positive solution depends on the Dealer.

I hope you get a positive outcome. You could read more on this online where you'll find a lot of information on owners experiences. Search this forum and XC40 UK FB group

Tags
clutch, crankshaft, mechanic