Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Upper engine anchorage bushing replacement

Views : 663

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2020, 02:03   #1
Bashy
Aged Member

Default Upper engine anchorage bushing replacement

Hi folks, is it easy to just replace the rubber bushing or does it require a special tool to remove/press it in. Ebay prices seem a little excessive as they include the housing too whereas the housing is fine (i think lol)

PS, i dont think i want the PF ones as i dont like the sound of "more vibration and increased noise" or is that a disclaimer for all their products? it does sound a but much just for the top engine mount?
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 11:21   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

The poly I installed in my '99 shook the car violently. It was a cylinder which slid out of the mount effortlessly. Remember, the P1 top mount went directly to the firewall.

The poly I installed in my '07 tightened the feel of the steering. It is of the square style and transmits a acceptable bit of vibration at idle. In the P2 cars the top mount is connected to the engine mount cross bar.

Our cars are petrol. Diesels are different....shakier!

The existing square insert just needed some coaxing out of the mount.

Also keep in mind that some play is designed into the mount (at least in the petrol). Is yours split or cracked or do you just see it "fitting loosely"?
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 12:12   #3
oragex
Premier Member

Not easy to press that bushing. Visit a breakers yard and look for the new square model, these don't have the problem the older style had
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 03:16   #4
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
The poly I installed in my '99 shook the car violently. It was a cylinder which slid out of the mount effortlessly. Remember, the P1 top mount went directly to the firewall.

The poly I installed in my '07 tightened the feel of the steering. It is of the square style and transmits a acceptable bit of vibration at idle. In the P2 cars the top mount is connected to the engine mount cross bar.

Our cars are petrol. Diesels are different....shakier!

The existing square insert just needed some coaxing out of the mount.

Also keep in mind that some play is designed into the mount (at least in the petrol). Is yours split or cracked or do you just see it "fitting loosely"?
Thanks for the reply, Although i cannot see anything untoward, i can feel that its not right, feels like its coming to a hard stop when i rock it from the engine hooking point, pretty much like its very close to metal on metal but not quite 100% there yet, prob 95% though,

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
Not easy to press that bushing. Visit a breakers yard and look for the new square model, these don't have the problem the older style had
Damn, nothing easy for me eh lol mine is this type (looks square'ish to me?)
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 09:15   #5
Brendan W
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Damn, nothing easy for me eh lol mine is this type (looks square'ish to me?)
That's about as square as they get
You would be in no doubt if you had the round one.
The square ones don't tend to wear out, that was the whole point of the redesign. These things are supposed to have a lot of movement.
I'd be inclined to take it off for a closer look at the rubber before going off buying stuff
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 09:25   #6
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
That's about as square as they get
You would be in no doubt if you had the round one.
The square ones don't tend to wear out, that was the whole point of the redesign. These things are supposed to have a lot of movement.
I'd be inclined to take it off for a closer look at the rubber before going off buying stuff
Yeah, ok, i can do that, i take it theres no tension on it, just unbolt it and away it will come?
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 09:32   #7
Brendan W
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Yeah, ok, i can do that, i take it theres no tension on it, just unbolt it and away it will come?
Correct. There should be no load on that bush with the motor off.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 09:33   #8
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
Correct. There should be no load on that bush with the motor off.
Great, thank you
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 11:32   #9
happy diver
Active Member Moment

When I replace the damaged rubber in the squarish bush
I squirt dishwashing liquid in, and push it out with a stick

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to happy diver For This Useful Post: