Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are GDI's crap? HELP!!!

Views : 36996

Replies : 99

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2012, 21:03   #91
Cardo

wouldn't rev passed 4000
stalling
erratic idle
engine management light on
no acceleration what so ever
plumes of smoke
3 garages
3 computer diagnostics all reading different codes and i finally get a result via a drunk mechanic:

1.leave ignition on and disconnect the battery
2.take off inlet manifold gave it some serious abuse with acetone(carb cleaner, paint thinner or nail varnish remover or similar cheaper the better and a plitherer of bottle washers and kitchen roll etc etc you know the score)
3. poured a dash(half a lagers worth)of said products into the inlet ports on top of the engine and leave it for a few hours(remove the spark plugs before you cranked it over because we all know liquids don't compress)and a dash down the spark plughole for good measure
4.new MAF (ok second hand ,ill explain in my end game summary)
5.new intake manifold sensor(again ill explain in my end game)
6.new exhaust, middle and back box ok im showing off i got these for a FIVER (end game) < have you noticed this is getting shorter and shorter?
7.stick it all back together
8.connect battery(minus spark plugs) and crank over to get rid of most off the gunk
9.apply more beer to mechanic and pester for more advice
9.apply more beer to self
9.oh yeah 10
10.disconnect battery while ignition is on wait 10 15 minutes you may want to get a beverage at this point then reconnect
11.9 lol
12. start up ! don't press any pedals or flick any switches leave car running for 2 minutes or so, then turn off
13.turn on as much as you can lights , a/c on full the full christmas tree etc etc start up! and leave running for 2 minutes or so and turn off
14. go for a drive about 20 miles should do and drop mechanic at home
15.when mechanic is at his door and says " oh don't forget to do the CAM SENSOR TOO" punch him in the face
16. job done!
cam sensor hey who wouldve thunk it:|
and the moral of this story
INFORMATION is power EXTRACTION is key!
on the "end game theory"its always good to know that there's thousands of gdi engines in the scrap yard because they were to tight to buy their local mechanic a beer or fifteen
millions died to bring this information
me... well i paid £30 for all said parts and my mechanic owes me a beer or fifteen ...decoke that!
love you all xxx
Cardo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cardo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 09:19   #92
Dazgdi
When I nod my head.HIT IT

Hi Iv got a s40 gdi 110000k on clock and so far so good purs like a kitten Iv had it stall on at traffic lights about 6 months ago and cured the problem , I use a product called bg406 from power inhancer. All you do is get engine nice and hot and spray it down throttle body while engine running, so it helps remove carbon deposits, so used regularly will keep carbon to a minimum. I also use bg44k in the fuel tank at every service, so my £28 treatment saved me massive bills on decokes. ( so far )http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/

Last edited by Dazgdi; Jan 29th, 2012 at 11:24. Reason: Added web address
Dazgdi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dazgdi For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 09:09   #93
Styles Bitchley

Just a note to say that I ended up buying the gdi I posted about a while back. I have to say that it runs amazingly and I'm very happy with the purchase. I know there's a lot of negative feedback here on them, so I thought I'd share something positive! The engine isn't very powerful off the line, but it is surprisingly fuel efficient. The idle is a bit erratic at times, particularly when it's just been started and it's rainy for some reason, but it's nothing I worry about.

I'm having trouble finding a decent additive for removing carbon here in Switzerland or France. The dealership sells something, but it's stupidly expensive. Does anybody know a decent brand name for something marketed in France or Switzerland that will do the trick?
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Styles Bitchley For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 04:29   #94
insanescotsman
19 with a V40 GDI

ive had my V40 for 4 months now its 10 years old with 97k on it runs great just needs to be kept in line by checking fluids weekly and itll do you proud. I use redex petrol additive in with the 99 octane stuff, or ive heard ecotek powerboost spray cleans the whole deal in a one.
insanescotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 10:48   #95
Styles Bitchley

Wink

My 2001 GDI ownership ended abruptly over the holidays when it caught fire in the Alps (never park next to a building where rubbish bins are stored). For the record, the car ran perfectly for me, but lacked power on the motorway - particularly climbing hills. It was well cared for during it's lifespan though and I think that goes a long way in keeping any car reliable. I've moved on to a 2000 T4...and those power problems are gone!
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2016, 16:45   #96
Nigel beeston

Default Gdi engines

I have a 04 1.8 gdi and yr rite expensive when they go wrong £50 for spark plugs £25 for each coil mine has done 107k and had all the troubles but easy to maintain yrself rocker gaskets go every 8-10k, I have read a lot on here, so I bought a code reader for £16 and worth every penny p0301 puts engine management light on misfire on cylinder 1 took off coils and changed them over to see if it was cool or spark plug, but wasn't either, was rocker gasket filling up the spark plugs with oil, I think there brill but be machanically minded or keep away
Nigel beeston is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nigel beeston For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2016, 18:37   #97
druid
V40 Owner

NGK plugs give the best MPG and can be got for £14 a set! Misfire in mine turned out to be an injector. Stunning motor when going well but yes, pigs when problems come up.

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2016, 20:29   #98
Worms

Hmmm, bought my 03 GDI at 37,000 miles six and a half years ago and now at 203,000. Runs really well and never had any engine problems. Never been decoked, never had any fancy fuel or fuel treatments and oil changes etc have been below recommended (basically an annual service). Guess I've been lucky. It does get 15 mins at 70 mph (so just above 3,000 revs) night and morning most days which has probably kept the coke at bay.
Worms is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Worms For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2016, 20:35   #99
druid
V40 Owner

Using shall V-Power helps too. higher octane plus cleaners, runs like a bucket of bolts on tesco so i dont use it.

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2016, 10:43   #100
kennygd

185 thousand on my 1.8i GDi and apart from consumables the car is brilliant, I would not hesitate to have another one
kennygd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kennygd For This Useful Post: