Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

7 inch screen not possible for my MY11 XC60 ? Solutions ?

Views : 7918

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2012, 12:51   #1
Rai
Aging New Member

Default 7 inch screen not possible for my MY11 XC60 ? Solutions ?

Dear All,

Many thanks for the help and advice for starters. I searched the forum for threads/posts related to my problem; but couldn't find any.

I have a MY11 XC60 D5; and as the specs of the car were not changeable when I bought it, the car came without ANY lcd screen. There's ugly plastic where it's supposed to be. Initially, when only the 5'' screen was available, I didn't feel bad as I thought the tiny 5'' looked just as ugly However, after I saw the 7'' inch screen, I decided to buy one, but here's what my dealer tells me: "Your car cannot be fitted with a 7'' screen, it can only take a 5'' screen"

Is this possible ? Ideally I would like to go for the Volvo solution whereby the last year of my warranty won't be forfeited. If my dealer is right, would you advise me to go with a third party vendor and who would that be?

Again, many thanks.

Rai

Last edited by Rai; Nov 12th, 2012 at 12:57.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 13:28   #2
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

As far as i'm aware you can only have a 5" or 7" screen on models with Sensus which are 2012 onwards or a 2011 model with Sat Nav as I believe that is all that is displayed on the screen in that year as opposed to the Sensus vehicles on which the top smaller screen has disappeared and all the main inforamtion comes through the 5/7" screen....

Photo below is of a pre-sensus vehicle with Sat Nav and then all the Stereo/Climate/Bluetooth/car settings go through the smaller LCD screen above it....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1703.jpg (89.0 KB, 26 views)

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MtillingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 16:24   #3
Rai
Aging New Member

My dealer says that my car doesn't have the system to support a screen, which doesn't sound realistic to me... Why should Volvo cherish a permanent blank ugly plastic area right in the most prominent place of the console? Doesn't make sense to me...
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 16:32   #4
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

If you search this forum you will find many topics from people that put various satnavs into this space as they had a model without a screen.

You will need to go back a couple of years as most people now have the sensus which provides the screen

You wont be able to fit a Volvo unit, but people have fitted TomTom, Garmin and other brands.
Old Nov 14th, 2012, 16:28   #5
woofer

I have found a very interesting solution, and not so expensive as original volvo RTI navigation system.
http://http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/android-tablet/148797-my-volvo-xc60-andoid-project-finished.html

It is a 7" tablet with Android applications, GPS, Internet connection and so on...
It looks fine and seems very easy to install (all described on forum).
You can use any navigation system available for android and have them updated in few minutes.

woofer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woofer For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 10:31   #6
Rai
Aging New Member

Now that might be a way to go, thanks a lot for that. So I just want to make sure I get the architecture right:

- You get the canbus integration via the BT controlled ODB2 port
- You integrate into the sound system via aux port - that's a bit sad due to loss of sound quality...
- You get the power from the USB port

And now the questions:

- Have you been able to hide the USB and aux cables, or do they dangle outside ?
- Any shots of your mechanical solution for the power button problem ?
- And do you think I can use a Samsung Galaxy Tab instead ?

All the Best,

Rai
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 11:37   #7
jimbg
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
And now the questions:

- Have you been able to hide the USB and aux cables, or do they dangle outside ?

All the Best,

Rai
Not sure Woofer has actually done it, I think he just found the thread. Probably best to post on the thread itself?
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 16:51   #8
woofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
And now the questions:

All the Best,

Rai
Hello Rai,
Sorry for misunderstanding but I have found this solution as a very attractive alternative for those who don't have original Volvo navigation.
All this questions you should ask to guy from linked forum.

I never heard before about Tablet in Volvo, but it seems that this solution is growing up, and there is a lot of other cars with 7 inch Tablet. And for me it not looks too complicated. Internet connection in the car is not necessery for all, but for sure it is a cheap solution.

If you prefer ready to mount solution you can find a lot of other 7 inch navigations. Just google: volvo xc60 navigation.
see example below:
woofer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woofer For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 13:34   #9
Rai
Aging New Member

Sometimess tardiness pays off I decided to wait until the warranty on the electrical system on my car ran out before installing a custom or OEM solution for the in-dash screen; and at that point my tendency was towards building my android based system from a tablet like the Nexus 7. While I was researching, I came across this solution that brought my headaches to an end: The Parrot Asteroid Smart 6.2'' System.

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/a...asteroid-smart

Granted it runs on a seriously outdated android version; but does everything I need; and comes on the 2 din frame; relieving me of the nightmare of fitting a tablet there. Plus you have the certified Parrot installers to take care of it.

I just wanted to ask if anybody has installed this on their car and get their feedback/advice.

All the best,

Rai
Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 11:29   #10
UKNZ

Hi, did you fit the asteroid in the end?
Looking at putting one in my V70.
I've had them before in other cars, they're awesome.

V70 T6 '08 / Audi S4/ Audi A8/ Toyota crapbucket
UKNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UKNZ For This Useful Post: