Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

knocking/jump on full lock

Views : 1376

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2023, 19:11   #1
lightyears
Master Member

Default knocking/jump on full lock

Hi guys, I have a small issue which has arisen on my 850, when turning on full lock to the right the car feels like its jumping over itself and knocks, before I get out in the snow, is there anything obvious which can cause this? the steering of late has felt a little vague when turning again to the right.
Volvo 850 T5 Turbo 'L94" 1994
Volvo 740 GLE 1990
lightyears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2023, 19:20   #2
cyclogenesis

My first guess would be worn wishbone bushes. Mine is doing the same thing on LHS.
cyclogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2023, 22:17   #3
Derek UK
VOC Member

Is the lock stop missing?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2023, 21:54   #4
Alpine

there is an engine mount on the lower right hand (driver's side) side of the car, could be that. Mine knocked on full lock, and I changed it and its been ok since.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alpine For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2023, 23:56   #5
Juular

Mine has always done that, changing the wishbones didn't help. A friend's S70 does the same.

I think it's fairly normal, especially on cold frosty or gravelly ground.

You haven't seen wheels skipping on full lock till you've tried a 200 series, again totally normal.
Juular is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2023, 11:17   #6
cyclogenesis

I would caution against saying that it is normal. Steering should be precise and not wander. except under hard driving when torque steer can occur especially with some makes of tyre.

There are a number of things that can cause such things but the skipping that Lightyears mentions is likely to be one of the following.

Wishbone bushes
Balljoint
Inner or outer track rod ends
Subframe mounts

If none of these have been changed over the last 5-10 years, then changing just one, is unlikely to remedy the situation.
cyclogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cyclogenesis For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2023, 18:19   #7
capt jack
VOC Member

This can be normal under some circumstances. it's all to do with Ackermann steering geometry and the need for the two steered wheels of a car to turn in different radii.

I can sort-of grasp the science, but if you want to dig deeper then try Professor Google!

Basically the path taken by the wheel is so tight that under some circumstances it will simply skip across the road surface.

From a practical perspective, things that can contribute to this skipping are
  • a poor surface - the OP mentioned snow
  • cold tyres - the walls are stiffer and less likely to flex
  • worn tread - less grip
  • turning on a gradient - where the suspension geometry changes - for example on a ramped driveway entrance
My 1997 S90 is very prone to this, especially on cold days when reversing out of our driveway. The NSF front tyre - which happens to be more worn that the OSF, older and a different brand, will "skip" quite noisily.

On warmer days, or when the tyre is well warmed up it won't do it.

Apparently Mercs and Lexus cars do it too, and it's nice to think that they are in good company!

Of course, the caveat is that like those other two makes, the S90 is a RWD drive car with an impressively tight turning circle, and I'm not sure how far it's true of FWD cars, which have less acute turning circles and I guess, different geometry.

On an 850 it'll definitely be worth checking for the presence or otherwise of a (well-greased) steering stop, as these too can cause odd noises if they dry up and fall off - which they can do quite easily.

The other thing to check is tyre pressure. Incorrectly inflated tyres exhibit incorrect behaviour!

And yes, I think that 240s will be prone to this. Very tight turning circle and relatively narrow wheels - so the geometry and the reduced grip are setting it all up nicely.

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Mar 13th, 2023 at 18:23.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2023, 09:22   #8
lightyears
Master Member

Thank you all for the various pointers, ive temporaryly taken the 850 off the road for a full inspection, I was planning to renew pretty much all the front wheel components anyhow and this have given me a good excuse to do it earlier
Volvo 850 T5 Turbo 'L94" 1994
Volvo 740 GLE 1990
lightyears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2023, 11:58   #9
Shinsplintz 101

Take a quick check of the cv joint at the end of the drive shafts, ensure they are free moving and well packed with grease. Sometimes they can bind up on full lock if dry/damaged.
Shinsplintz 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 18:16   #10
amazondean
amazondean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post
Take a quick check of the cv joint at the end of the drive shafts, ensure they are free moving and well packed with grease. Sometimes they can bind up on full lock if dry/damaged.
I have to agree that it does sound like a cv joint. Unfortunately they can be difficult to diagnose when checking the wheels manually, as they tend to only show up as a fault on full lock and under load. That's when the bearings have the least amount of contact in the race! They only have to be worn a small amount for the ball bearings to slop around slightly in the joint causing a slight clonking noise as they turn.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote