Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auto Stop Start "unavailable" on 2016 V60 D4

Views : 7015

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 6th, 2020, 14:09   #11
BlueDevil

Just remember, when charging the charger cables get attached to (+) on the battery, but the (-) must NOT go to battery (-) but must go to chassis somewhere (say engine mount bolt or similar).

That is because if you just connect both charger terminals to battery it will charge only that (main) battery, but when the (-) is on the chassis, then the aux battery will get charged too.

It is written in the manual but people rarely read that part...
BlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 06:56   #12
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
Just remember, when charging the charger cables get attached to (+) on the battery, but the (-) must NOT go to battery (-) but must go to chassis somewhere (say engine mount bolt or similar).

That is because if you just connect both charger terminals to battery it will charge only that (main) battery, but when the (-) is on the chassis, then the aux battery will get charged too.

It is written in the manual but people rarely read that part...
Good point, but connecting the the charger negative lead to the chassis/engine is to ensure the charging current flows via the main battery negative cable, where there is a charge monitor that enables the vehicle to more accurately keep up-to-date on the battery state.
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 19:25   #13
NickMV70

I have this same issue with my v60. The car stood for six months on a relatives drive before I took ownership and the battery was flat when I collected. I have charged the main battery but then the “low battery charge” warning came up so it’s currently on charge again. I suspect it being stood for six months has killed it even though only a 17 plate. Does it need to go to Volvo for a new battery or can I do it myself? Thinking there may be electrical issues when I disconnect. Thanks
NickMV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 11:50   #14
NickMV70

Has anyone got a replacement battery recommendation please?
NickMV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 12:50   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaron View Post
It may just be that the support battery was flat or low on charge. We drove 2 hours through London recently in heavy traffic with start/stop on but it did not cut in once.
My garage told me that if the support battery charge is low then the car computer will not instigate start/stop in case there is insufficient charge to re-start the engine.
Its never the support battery , that is always 100% . its the MAIN battery ... if you want to charge it use a 10A min charger for 48 hours ... no less. Make sure the negative charger lead goes to the cars body not the negative terminal ..
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 13:00   #16
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMV70 View Post
I have this same issue with my v60. The car stood for six months on a relatives drive before I took ownership and the battery was flat when I collected. I have charged the main battery but then the “low battery charge” warning came up so it’s currently on charge again. I suspect it being stood for six months has killed it even though only a 17 plate. Does it need to go to Volvo for a new battery or can I do it myself? Thinking there may be electrical issues when I disconnect. Thanks
I need to charge mine fairly frequently to avoid any low battery warning messages, nevertheless it works fine and spins the starter apparently as fast as it ever did.

Many will recommend Volvo, but many also recommend Tayna batteries as a supplier. There are no disconnection issues (I've had my negative lead off a few times in attempts to cure various problems), although resetting the battery monitoring system is probably a good plan (there are useful vidclips on YouTube for doing this, I've followed the one that requires the foglights and hazard flashers to be turned on and off several times).

You need to know if you have an AGM or EFB type battery. Mine is EFB, as described in my owners manual (which also states that the auto models have an AGM type)... Many will argue that the superior AGM type is a direct replacement for the EFB type, however I'm doubtful of this due to my smart charger requiring a different setting for use on the different types (my other car has an AGM battery so I am familiar with having to change the charger mode).
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 13:04   #17
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Its never the support battery , that is always 100% . its the MAIN battery ... if you want to charge it use a 10A min charger for 48 hours ... no less. Make sure the negative charger lead goes to the cars body not the negative terminal ..
But surely the support battery must fail? No batteries last forever!

I use a 4A smart charger. The only difference is obviously that it takes 2.5x longer to provide the required charge.
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 13:15   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
I need to charge mine fairly frequently to avoid any low battery warning messages, nevertheless it works fine and spins the starter apparently as fast as it ever did.

Many will recommend Volvo, but many also recommend Tayna batteries as a supplier. There are no disconnection issues (I've had my negative lead off a few times in attempts to cure various problems), although resetting the battery monitoring system is probably a good plan (there are useful vidclips on YouTube for doing this, I've followed the one that requires the foglights and hazard flashers to be turned on and off several times).

You need to know if you have an AGM or EFB type battery. Mine is EFB, as described in my owners manual (which also states that the auto models have an AGM type)... Many will argue that the superior AGM type is a direct replacement for the EFB type, however I'm doubtful of this due to my smart charger requiring a different setting for use on the different types (my other car has an AGM battery so I am familiar with having to change the charger mode).
you must try to recover it first . It needs a LONG charge minimum of 48 hours with a 10A min charger . see how that goes first . Volvo recommend the battery is charged every TWO weeks in today's conditions when it is not being used much .
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 13:16   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
But surely the support battery must fail? No batteries last forever!

I use a 4A smart charger. The only difference is obviously that it takes 2.5x longer to provide the required charge.
Never had a problem the the support battery in the 12 years volvo have had stop/start it is the sealed lead acid as used in alarm back up systems .
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 13:51   #20
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Never had a problem the the support battery in the 12 years volvo have had stop/start it is the sealed lead acid as used in alarm back up systems .
Coincidentally I'm in the process of replacing the back-up battery in my office alarm system!