Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My 221 Amazon Estate project

Views : 4312

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2020, 22:10   #1
Uncle Benz

Default My 221 Amazon Estate project

I bought this car about three years ago from longstanding club member John Smith. I think he took the car off the road in about 1981 for some repairs to the front wing mounting rails. He got as far as removing the engine and gearbox, cut off the mounting rail "shotguns" but ran aground at that point. I was heavily vetted, and then eventually invited to purchase the car and an extensive stock of spare parts John had amassed over the years

My heart sank a little when I offered up the repair panels to find they didn't fit by a country mile. I think the passage of time sat on its wheels with the inner wings cut away had allowed the chassis rails to relax a bit. In a bit of a huff with it, I left the car on my spare two post lift for three long years to sulk. With all this terrible Corona business I have some time on my hands so decided to give the old Amazon another look. Turns out three years hanging has helped a lot, and the repair panels fit again!
Uncle Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Benz For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 22:15   #2
Uncle Benz

I'm cutting and pasting in from another place, so some of this may seem disjointed. Sorry!

A bit of spare time this afternoon. I removed all the bushes from the rear suspension arms, sandblasted them and applied a coat of paint.

I picked the best of my front sub frames, blasted that, then a coat of red oxide primer...

These are finished originally in grey, although the colour varied a lot during production. The original on my car was a slightly darker grey than this, but I couldn't match it easily. The spare I used was a lighter grey, and I could match that so went with it.

Also took a few shots of the underside, in no particular order...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Benz For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 22:18   #3
Uncle Benz

This car is in remarkable condition. The underside needed no welding at all. The front wing rails, already mentioned, had been removed, but I never saw how rusty they were. The only other place that needs repair is inside the rear wheel arches where there is a stiffener plate for the rear seat backrest hinge.
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Benz For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 22:20   #4
Uncle Benz

I had a bit of spare time this afternoon, got a bit more done. I fitted the other wing mounting rail. I had it mocked up with some self-tapping screws, but it's welded in now.

The alignment with the other front panels and the doors is spot on. Ultimately it took a whole day's work on each side to get them this good.

The new suspension bushes arrived today. I had quite a few new-old-stock bushes in my stock of parts, but they were so old the cases were rusty and the rubbers had started to perish. I bought new ones. I fitted the rear ones to the freshly painted arms. All ready to fit

I also fitted the handbrake linkage and new handbrake cables with brand new return spring.

Started working on the engine bay paintwork...

Coming on nice. Very pleased with it so far!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Benz For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 23:27   #5
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

This looks to be a nice project. Keep us posted, please.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 13:40   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

John will be very pleased and I hope he will comment. If you don't mind I will add your photos to the Estate database but strangely I can't find the reg number. Perhaps you could pm that to me. Don't want to go behind your back and ask John. 1981? Surely not. I can remember seeing it in the garage a few times but not that far back as far as I know.
Nice work. Keep it up!
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 13:52   #7
Uncle Benz

Hi Derek, I can't PM you, I don't have enough posts yet. When I do I'll share the reg.
I am going from the stack of old tax discs that came with the car. The last expired in 1981, so I'm assuming that's when John took it off the road.

I am John Griffiths' stepson. I'm guessing if you know John Smith you probably know Griff as well.

The car nearly broke my heart when I discovered the front had sagged with the rails removed. It's a stroke of luck I managed to reverse the process!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Benz For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 15:56   #8
nozamaman
VOC Member

Default 221 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Benz View Post
Hi Derek, I can't PM you, I don't have enough posts yet. When I do I'll share the reg.
I am going from the stack of old tax discs that came with the car. The last expired in 1981, so I'm assuming that's when John took it off the road.

I am John Griffiths' stepson. I'm guessing if you know John Smith you probably know Griff as well.

The car nearly broke my heart when I discovered the front had sagged with the rails removed. It's a stroke of luck I managed to reverse the process!
Gareth,thanks for posting progess on the Amazon estate the reg is JAA477E I purchased it 1989 - 1990 intending to run it for a few years then restore it after 1991 when I retired from Hantspol I think i used it up until around 1993 taking it off the road to restore, but family and voc commitments, register keeper and membership Sec took up most of my time. I thought it was in fairly good condition when purchased, had about 100K recorded and firbe glass wings. I am delighted that is going so well. I will dig out my diaries etc and post more if I find it.
nozamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nozamaman For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 16:39   #9
Uncle Benz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozamaman View Post
Gareth,thanks for posting progess on the Amazon estate the reg is JAA477E I purchased it 1989 - 1990 intending to run it for a few years then restore it after 1991 when I retired from Hantspol I think i used it up until around 1993 taking it off the road to restore, but family and voc commitments, register keeper and membership Sec took up most of my time. I thought it was in fairly good condition when purchased, had about 100K recorded and firbe glass wings. I am delighted that is going so well. I will dig out my diaries etc and post more if I find it.
It has taken me a long time to get going with it John. To be honest, if the Corona virus thing hadn't come along I don't think I would have ever got round to it! Projects can go a bit like that sometimes. For the record, I think cutting both "shotguns" off and leaving it is probably not such a good idea. Luckily it has come good in the end! More pictures to follow...
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Benz For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 10:23   #10
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Hello Gareth. John rang me to give me the details. Reason I thought that I didn't have it on the data base is because I thought that the car was blue, not green. The pics I have distinctly look like blue! See below.
120 Register meet Cadnam Hants 1992. Peter Ragg alert!
Car tax ran out 1/7/93 which indicates when it was last used.
John and myself agree that there was unlikely to have been any sag. It's just that the shotgun repair panels give a lot of lee way as to how to fit them. Volvo never supplied panels like this. The inner wing include the vertical part and that had the box section that the wing fits to as a seperate panel. Of course when you get the usual holes in the vertical section you don't fit a new inner wing. Aftermarket suppliers like Veng started to sell the shotguns to make the job easier. They can be fitted neatly to look original or poorly to give varying results.
Don't know how you are doing with the shims for fitting the crossmember. The original cross member would have been shimmed to match the small differences in the body but the main reason for them is to set the castor angle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg John Smith Cadnam-vert s.jpg (236.9 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by Derek UK; Apr 10th, 2020 at 10:29.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: