Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where to mount "hidden" immobiliser key?

Views : 3572

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2020, 20:40   #1
StatusRed
Premier Member

Default Where to mount "hidden" immobiliser key?

In the quest to get more keys without the need to go to Volvo and pay £150+ each I have decided to go down the route of hiding the working key with an immobiliser close to the ignition barrel and using cut keys (without an immobilier) from then on.

Has anyone got any tips about where to put this neatly that's close enough and hidden to the ignition barrel?

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 20:48   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Will it tape inside the the cowling?
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 21:40   #3
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

I think 'cheshired5's idea is probably the best if there's room within the cowling.

I guess any placing of the key though will have to be tested for its continued workability with the ignition. If it won't fit in the cowling I would think that gaffa taping it under the cowling, out of site, would do the job.

I suppose you've got to ask yourself how secure do I feel with a key in a certain place, and in reality.. who's going to look in such a place for a key. Personally I think nobody would..

Dave..

My old Turquoise 850 TDi GLT & my present Garnet Red V70 TDi CD

My 1998 V70 TDi CD : http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/album.php?albumid=654
tdidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 22:06   #4
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

In the old days I had a Ford Fiesta which was overly prone to theft as the average towrag could open it with a lolly stick, I installed a Ford switch into a spare slot on the dash as an immobiliser and whilst it was broken into several times again it wasn't taken, moral - if what you're doing is unconventional nobody will suspect it, so sticking the key in the cowl would probably be sufficiently secure. I have thought about this option with keys myself and the only extra level I had thought of was as the original key would need to be in or very close to the immobiliser coil around the keyhole, one could trace back the wiring and install another coil under the dash along with the original key to keep the key hidden away from the lock in the column, if you put a simple switch in those wires it would mean only those in the know would be able to start the car.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 22:09   #5
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Will it tape inside the the cowling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdidave View Post
I think 'cheshired5's idea is probably the best if there's room within the cowling.

I guess any placing of the key though will have to be tested for its continued workability with the ignition. If it won't fit in the cowling I would think that gaffa taping it under the cowling, out of site, would do the job.

I suppose you've got to ask yourself how secure do I feel with a key in a certain place, and in reality.. who's going to look in such a place for a key. Personally I think nobody would..

Dave..
Cheers I think I'll dismantle the cowling and take a look, from experimenting with holding the key against it while I start the engine with a cut key it has to be very very close for the engine to start and then not cut out.

The guy who cut the keys for me recommended cutting the metal "key" part off with a hacksaw so I could fit it in smaller places, I'm hesistant about this though as the key would then be forever unusable if there's problems in the future.

I'm not worried about any security concerns, I don't think it's likely that someone is going to risk going to prison to steal a 20 year old C70 and even if they did the chances of finding this are going to be slim hopefully.

Old Jan 26th, 2020, 22:12   #6
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
In the old days I had a Ford Fiesta which was overly prone to theft as the average towrag could open it with a lolly stick, I installed a Ford switch into a spare slot on the dash as an immobiliser and whilst it was broken into several times again it wasn't taken, moral - if what you're doing is unconventional nobody will suspect it, so sticking the key in the cowl would probably be sufficiently secure. I have thought about this option with keys myself and the only extra level I had thought of was as the original key would need to be in or very close to the immobiliser coil around the keyhole, one could trace back the wiring and install another coil under the dash along with the original key to keep the key hidden away from the lock in the column, if you put a simple switch in those wires it would mean only those in the know would be able to start the car.
I like this idea Dave, I might take a look to see if I can figure out the coil wiring!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 22:38   #7
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Quote:
Yeah.. those old Fords were a nightmare to keep secure. I had two stolen over time, a Mk1 Cortina, and a Mk2 Cortina 1600E. I fitted an isolating switch under the dash in the end, and if I was going to a notoriously dodgy place I'd use the old war time trick my Dad taught me.. take the rotor arm out..

My old Turquoise 850 TDi GLT & my present Garnet Red V70 TDi CD

My 1998 V70 TDi CD : http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/album.php?albumid=654
tdidave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tdidave For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 22:39   #8
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

google images of 'Volvo V70 immobiliser antenna ring' and you'll see the unit which fits around the keyhole in the cowl, you'd need another to fit under the dash somewhere, the ring piece has 4 connector pins (if I remember right), there's a power and an earth connection for the little bulb that lights up the keyhole and two for the antenna. The antenna is just a coil of wire which would have next to no resistance to dc current as in a multimeter, if you can find a circuit diagram then the wiring colours should be on there but Mr Haynes isn't any help for that.

edit: Or cut into the ignition wire from the keyswitch and put a 'hidden' switch in that wire.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg

Last edited by DaveNP; Jan 26th, 2020 at 22:42.
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 23:13   #9
StatusRed
Premier Member

Question

Quote:
google images of 'Volvo V70 immobiliser antenna ring' and you'll see the unit which fits around the keyhole in the cowl, you'd need another to fit under the dash somewhere, the ring piece has 4 connector pins (if I remember right), there's a power and an earth connection for the little bulb that lights up the keyhole and two for the antenna. The antenna is just a coil of wire which would have next to no resistance to dc current as in a multimeter, if you can find a circuit diagram then the wiring colours should be on there but Mr Haynes isn't any help for that.

edit: Or cut into the ignition wire from the keyswitch and put a 'hidden' switch in that wire.
Are you saying that I'd just need to get hold of this antenna ring, then tap the connections from the original antenna ring for the 2 antenna wires and I could place it anywhere taped together with the key and it would work?

Old Jan 27th, 2020, 00:35   #10
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
In the quest to get more keys without the need to go to Volvo and pay £150+ each I have decided to go down the route of hiding the working key with an immobiliser close to the ignition barrel and using cut keys (without an immobilier) from then on.

Has anyone got any tips about where to put this neatly that's close enough and hidden to the ignition barrel?
If you do decide to do this, 'S.R.', you should also be aware that it could be used by your insurer to invalidate your cover. Solving one problem could result in your having a larger one ...

Just saying ...

Regards, John.

Tags
keys