Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Don't Use BREMBO brake pads !!!

Views : 2851

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2020, 13:29   #1
bikewatch2000

Default Don't Use BREMBO brake pads !!!

just a warning to anyone thinking of using Brembo brake pads.

18 months ago i replaced both rear discs and one calliper so decided to use Brembo pads.

two weekends ago i was driving and all of a sudden noticed a loss of braking efficiency and a sudden screeching noise.
I stopped to check and saw the one rear disc was scoring as there was no material left on the outer brake pad. They have done less than 20 thousand miles.

this weekend i removed the pads and in doing so when lifting off the calliper the lining from the inner pad fell out. there was over 6 mm of material left.
on checking the other side i found both pads had 7mm of friction material left but one pad was showing definite signed of lifting from the metal.

anyone who has these fitted i would suggest keeping an eye out for any similar problems. luckily i was only travelling at low speeds when this happened and i am not a boy racer as my average of 35+ mpg suggest (auto diesel) so they have not had a hard life.
and those who may consider these pads as an option, i'd think twice.

safe driving
bikewatch2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 13:58   #2
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

I would send them back to Brembo - must be a bad batch and am sure they will be keen to know about this to help them prevent it happening again.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 14:29   #3
deepsix

One of my bikes is a KTM 990. I always strip and clean the brakes regularly as on bikes they are more prone to crud/salt etc. The rears also like to squeal at times.

Took the rear pads out and hand wire brushed them and the pad material fell off one of them. Yep BREMBO.

Replaced all with EBC pads. Not the sort of thing you expect with Brembo who are touted as high quality/ top spec.

I'm a Hornithologist, I love exotic birds.
deepsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 18:22   #4
bikewatch2000

deepsix

i did read that there was a recorded issue of brembo mc pads having an official recall notice
bikewatch2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 20:22   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

I have genuine BMW pads made by Brembo on my K1300s and have had no issues.
Never used Brembo on a Volvo though where it's genuine or ATE only for me.
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 20:30   #6
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Unfortunately, most aftermarket brembo is nothing more than a name printed on generic 'chinese' fodder these days. They seem to have 'sold-out' with the hum-drum stuff.
I dont know if there are two teirs of aftermarket, original brembo, expensive, properly made, probably called 'group n' for rally use (brembo plain discs are/were traditionally widely used in group n as they meet criteria and performance) and basic cheap dross sold by the likes of ecp....
I suspect ecp might possibly be to blame, if its like pagid, where ecp hold sole uk rights to the brand but get cheaper, lower quality stuff made for them by pagid, they might have bought the Brembo brand in uk... This is speculation however.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 20:32   #7
Dastardly Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikewatch2000 View Post
just a warning to anyone thinking of using Brembo brake pads.

18 months ago i replaced both rear discs and one calliper so decided to use Brembo pads.

two weekends ago i was driving and all of a sudden noticed a loss of braking efficiency and a sudden screeching noise.
I stopped to check and saw the one rear disc was scoring as there was no material left on the outer brake pad. They have done less than 20 thousand miles.

this weekend i removed the pads and in doing so when lifting off the calliper the lining from the inner pad fell out. there was over 6 mm of material left.
on checking the other side i found both pads had 7mm of friction material left but one pad was showing definite signed of lifting from the metal.

anyone who has these fitted i would suggest keeping an eye out for any similar problems. luckily i was only travelling at low speeds when this happened and i am not a boy racer as my average of 35+ mpg suggest (auto diesel) so they have not had a hard life.
and those who may consider these pads as an option, i'd think twice.

safe driving
What makes you think other brands are immune to this? In my brief 2 year career on the spanners I came across this many times, with OE and aftermarket makes.

Brembo manufacture their products in Italy, North America and Mexico, so @AndyV7o may with to think again as I'm pretty sure suggesting they're made in China is slanderous.

Last edited by Dastardly Diesel; Feb 24th, 2020 at 20:34.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 21:11   #8
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly Diesel View Post
What makes you think other brands are immune to this? In my brief 2 year career on the spanners I came across this many times, with OE and aftermarket makes.

Brembo manufacture their products in Italy, North America and Mexico, so @AndyV7o may with to think again as I'm pretty sure suggesting they're made in China is slanderous.

Only very recently Brembo shifted manufacture, please note I put quotation marks around the word chinese, as Im not 100% where but 'chinese' has come to mean 'of cheap manufacture and questionable quality'
Regardless, Brembo aftermarket aint what it used to be. Ive fitted plenty and it was my default, but no more, not after the adverse and extreme wear Ive had with later discs and thr clear difference in quality. Yes, they were kosher, not fake. Im not alone either.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 21:23   #9
AndyV7o
Premier Member

https://thebrakereport.com/brembo-ex...er-production/

Now just cos 'made in china' doesnt necessarily mean 'sh1te' but it does mean reducinh costs, and with reduced costs tends to come reduced quality or qualitu control. There us also mention of 'value chain' which, while a bit unclear, appears to me to refer to the cost-cutting side of brakes.

Last edited by AndyV7o; Feb 24th, 2020 at 21:27.
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 23:23   #10
deepsix

My Brembo pads were the original ones from new so I figure KTM used genuine ones. I'ved used EBC pads and discs on my other bikes with no problems and improved performance.It was quite a shock to see them fall apart I must admit!

I'm a Hornithologist, I love exotic birds.
deepsix is offline   Reply With Quote