Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 soft top 2003 model

Views : 520

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2020, 21:14   #1
Discotony

Default C70 soft top 2003 model

HI all, I've read through the various threads on roof problems, none seem to have the same detail as I have experienced. I bought the C70 a few weeks ago with the roof not working, at first, it seemed that every day I used it, the warning alarm would chime until the car warmed up then I could get it to stop by holding the button to 'close'.

Volvo had diagnosed a faulty roof control module when the previous owner had the car. I bought a used replacement roof control module having been told that as long as part number matched, coding to the vehicle was not necessary. The swap worked in that the chiming stopped completely and has been fine for two weeks. However, with few opportunities to test the opening/closing due to persistent rain, I had to wait for a chance to check the function. Before I swapped the ERM, the roof would only open to stage 1 (rear section lifts and waits for storage cover to lift). When I tested the replacement ERM, the roof still only opened to stage 1 and I couldn't work out how to open the storage cover section. But at least I didn't have the warning chimes every time I used the car.

Today as it wasn't raining and the sun was out, I had a go at opening the roof again. It still only went to stage 1 off the button and I was then able to manually get the storage cover open by messing with the mechanical release and turning the winding tool, but that was as far as it would go. Roof rear section up, storage cover vertical, nothing else would move. The winding tool became very stiff and felt like something was going to break. The roof across the windscreen top was fixed solid- what makes the roof release itself above the windscreen? This must be the next problem to solve. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Discotony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 21:55   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discotony View Post
HI all, I've read through the various threads on roof problems, none seem to have the same detail as I have experienced. I bought the C70 a few weeks ago with the roof not working, at first, it seemed that every day I used it, the warning alarm would chime until the car warmed up then I could get it to stop by holding the button to 'close'.

Volvo had diagnosed a faulty roof control module when the previous owner had the car. I bought a used replacement roof control module having been told that as long as part number matched, coding to the vehicle was not necessary. The swap worked in that the chiming stopped completely and has been fine for two weeks. However, with few opportunities to test the opening/closing due to persistent rain, I had to wait for a chance to check the function. Before I swapped the ERM, the roof would only open to stage 1 (rear section lifts and waits for storage cover to lift). When I tested the replacement ERM, the roof still only opened to stage 1 and I couldn't work out how to open the storage cover section. But at least I didn't have the warning chimes every time I used the car.

Today as it wasn't raining and the sun was out, I had a go at opening the roof again. It still only went to stage 1 off the button and I was then able to manually get the storage cover open by messing with the mechanical release and turning the winding tool, but that was as far as it would go. Roof rear section up, storage cover vertical, nothing else would move. The winding tool became very stiff and felt like something was going to break. The roof across the windscreen top was fixed solid- what makes the roof release itself above the windscreen? This must be the next problem to solve. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any advice.
I cannot offer any advice on what is specifically wrong with the roof, but offer the following.

The manual tools are not designed to open and close the roof fully on their own. There is a specific sequence when using the tools - one tool is used for part of the cycle and then the other tool for the remainder. They are also designed to have mechanical assistance by a second person helping to open or close the roof in addition to the person doing the winding in the boot.

The front windscreen catches are controlled by the front electric motor - behind the bulge in the roof trim above the interior mirror. It seems there could be an issue with the power/signal going to the motor to release the catches.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 04:33   #3
happy diver
Active Member Moment

It is suggested the wires running along the right side of the roof under the bar may become stressed

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote