Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo R Sport parts

Views : 8828

Replies : 79

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2009, 21:07   #1
amaz'in

Default Volvo R Sport parts

Hi Everyone

I have been hoarding these parts for a long, long time and I am currently having a grand clear out including 240 performance parts. I believe these parts are amongst the holy grail of Volvo collectors parts and I am thinking about selling some of them along with my Amazon which is now on e-bay.

At the same time I would like to be able to share with this forum some of the rarer installation manuals, handbooks, etc and anything rare pertaining to R sport in case I decide to sell them and they are lost forever.

James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg php4iXiIrPM.jpg (382.9 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg php6oVqV8PM.jpg (353.3 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg phpB3vi20PM.jpg (315.7 KB, 181 views)
amaz'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 21:46   #2
t5pete
The three volvo's

certainly not many of these kits around i like the r sport gauge
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 22:22   #3
amaz'in

Hi Pete,

Good to see you here, yes very rare indeed, of course there was a whole plethora of R sport kit going back over the years, but they offered this kit in the 80's, in fact the kit was tested in Motor in November 83.

They tested a 240 GLE Estate fitted with the Kit, I have all the fitting manuals paperwork etc, right down to the Decals that go under the Bonnet and even the decal (97 Ron+) which fitted inside the filler flap.

The article I mention above goes on to say that the complete kit took from a Monday to thursday to fit,and the systm was then thoroughly tested on the Friday.

It was basically a Garrett turbo blowing through a specially modified (Strengthened seals etc) stromberg carb, you can see from the attached images there was a high parts count, the price fitted in 83 was £ 1,178.75.

This Kit could be supplemented with uprated roll bars, gas shocks, new exhaust system, special down pipe (I have two of them) and even R sport seat covers.

The cost of these extra's back then were:
Heavy duty anti-roll bar kit (Front and rear) £60.95
Gas filled shocks front £87.40
Gas filled shocks rear, £57.50
Fitting for all of above suspensions upgrades £69.00
R sport seat covers with built in Bolsters (pair) £87.40.

The claimed improvements of the Turbo kit were, 41% more power, 32% more torque for the 1.9 litre engine.

35% & 27% for the 2.1 and 35% & 30% for the 2.3.

They noted amongst many other things thats whilst the 240 estate weighed in at 27.3 cwt, and was a high geared car too, it still pulled cleanly in fourth gear from just 20mph.

TAD a Volvo dealer from finchley sold the kits and advertised them thus;

REALEASE the Horsepower 'Volvo' built into every manual saloon and estate.

At the risk of being a geek and boring everyone to tears I will exit stage left.

James
The Following User Says Thank You to amaz'in For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 23:50   #4
dan 244
Master Member

do you actualy have 2 of the turbo kits including roll bar, suspension and seat cover upgrades etc. Do you want to sell them and how much, I would be interested in just having a look if that was convienient, as I am in Hingham, and I see you are listed as Norwich so not far away. Thanks Daniel.
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 08:56   #5
amaz'in

Hi Dan, Hingham eh, a local no less.

The handling parts are more modern kit and PeteT5 has first shout on them at the moment, but if interested you would be second in the queue.I have only just got photo's to him over the weekend.

I have IPD front and rear anti roll bars, which are powder coated in red, a Pair of Bilstein HD rear shocks almost new and 242 tower strut braces withthe strengthning plates, as said Pete has first shout on these and also a genuine 240 rear sploiler.

The spoiler is with a local Volvo enthusiast who wanted to size it up on his 144s so i'm just awaiting a decision from him if he want's it or not.

I do not have two full turbo kits as such, I bought a TAD sport Volvo a couple of years ago which had a kit fitted to it years before, it had R sport front shocks (i'm told) I almost bought the entire car for the R sport Turbo gauge you can see in my photo's.

The car was not pretty, and was one of those unusual Volvo's where the Tin worm had eaten the bottom two inches of the car all the way round! but I drove it for 6 months on and off, then broke it, I retained the front legs, exhaust parts, and turbo kit, which is buried deeply in the rear of my garage.

I'm pretty sure that this was not a full kit as you see in my brochure photo but i believe the owner made up certain bits to get over this, he also bought up the part kit you see in the phto's, which as you can see is still mint and boxed.

The 240 handling parts are going to be sold for sure, as I practically gave away my Mint one owner 1989 GLT a few weeks ago, and I popped my Amazon up on 'Fleabay' last night, it pains me but I have not used it for months and simply didnt have time to see all my Volvo projects through.

I have kept both 16v B234 engines and 531 head etc, and have decided to stick to one single project (as far as cars go that is) and tweak up my 940 Turbo Sports+.

I hope to fit a Jetex exhaust I have maybe with the 531 head once ported and polished etc and maybe fit Freds chips?( I look for advice on this) since the car is my daily driver I will get a lot more use out of it.

I am not sure what to do with the R sport kit, I know for sure it's 'uber' rare, and notice how much a single R sport gauge is up for last night on German ebay, all of this started with wanting one good Amazon, and ended in 9 Volvo's (gulp)

I must admit I fell in love with the Amazon Kimchella had (has) for sale, but must stop here, I just have not got the room.

By all means come and have a look and a cuppa Dan, this applies to any Volvo fans, the rare manuals and paperwork are well worth a read.

James
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 21:34   #6
amaz'in

Hi Dan,

I am around this week, on and off, so by all means come on down :-)

I can show you some real treasures for sure and we can drink Tea and talk Volvo's too.

James
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 23:08   #7
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

holy shnizzle !!!
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 23:57   #8
amaz'in

Hi Dave,

Why thank you kind sir :-)

Just the man to get a visit from, since I have to make do without my Amazon, and 240 handling goodies I have decided to push on with doing my 940 sports+ estate and....I gather you 'may' be just the man for advice?

I need to keep my fix, although if I get just low ballers on the Amazon and 240 goodies I will keep em, as for the 240 R sport kit that's a whole different story, it's not taking up that much room, but i have to be honest, i'm unlikely to run a 200 series.

Did you see the R sport gauge for £427.00 BIN on German ebay earlier today? yikes!!!

Would love your advice in helping me keep my Volvo fix with my 940?

James
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 00:06   #9
amaz'in

I took quite a number of photographs of the bits and pieces but thought it would be too much to show them all on here, but it seems some of you may be up for it?

I can put more up tomorrow if anyone is as geeky as i am...surely not? ;-)

James
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 00:07   #10
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

pics or ban .