Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gearbox oil question

Views : 2696

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 29th, 2020, 13:17   #21
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Disagree with you again Andy, you say so much without backing up your facts .
Volvo gearbox oil has always been the very highest synthetic quality , that is why it is still going strong in volvo gearboxes after 25 years or more with the corresponding mileage .

What you say is no doubt true about the average car out there parked in every side road but volvo do things differently . How much volvo experience do you have anyway? You get what you pay for with volvo like most things in Life 👍

This is the only oil in the volvo chemicals catalogue which mentions the M90 Gearbox

A multigrade synthetic transmission oil intended for manual
transmissions in passenger cars.
The oil has very good low temperature characteristics and a
lowest flow point of at least -48°C.
The transmission oil is recommended for all model years of
types M45, M46, M47, M90 and M5M42 in S-/V40 with GDI
engine and of type M56, M58 and M59 up to and including
model year 1995.
Technical data
Quality: API GL-4
Volvo Std 1273,08 which
describes transmission oil
Viscosity: SAE 75W
Color: Brown
Density: 885 kg/m³
Base: Synthetic
Lowest flow point -48 °C (104°F)
Viscosity at 40 °C: 67.8 mm² /s
Viscosity at 100 °C: 10.5 mm² /s
Important The oil is not tested or specified under
standards other than those indicated in this document.
In order to specify the correct oil for the car, always
check the owner’s manual for the car.
Once again you neglect to acknowledge the FACT that ALL motor companies buy oil from an oil company to tender, they DO NOT manufacture their own oil, and DO NOT supply the highest possible quality otherwise the costs would probably double. They supply quality oils for sure, but nothing that exceeds a premium oil from a main manufacturer (with the exception of those who just use a premium oil without trying to rebrand and turn a profit).
Also, I do substantiate what I say, but what happens is that when the science and/or financial business practice(s) goes above your head, you bury said head in the sand and refuse to expand your knowledge. Myself and others have tried ad-infinitum to convey real world facts on many occasions.
We can ageee to disagree, but you cant consider facts as opinion.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 08:31   #22
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default M90 Oil

I am now somewhat the poorer but have 2 1-litre containers of Volvo part 31280771 for the Exxon Valdez's gearbox so it appears that 31280771 is the CURRENT Volvo part mumber for the oil - no doubt it will have changed by the time someone else resurrects this thread!

All I need now is some decent weather and spare time to do the drain and refill.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 10:26   #23
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
I am now somewhat the poorer but have 2 1-litre containers of Volvo part 31280771 for the Exxon Valdez's gearbox so it appears that 31280771 is the CURRENT Volvo part mumber for the oil - no doubt it will have changed by the time someone else resurrects this thread!

All I need now is some decent weather and spare time to do the drain and refill.
Gear oil is expensive , even the cheapest Castrol syntrax on E bay is £18 a litre . It costs me nearly £60 to change my transaxle oil .
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 14:13   #24
bob12
bob12

Noting that 1161645 was suitable for the M47 box in the initial post and has now been superseded by 31280771.

Am I right to assume that xxx771 is OK for the M47 in a '90 745? The handbook states either Volvo synthetic trans oil, or ATF type F or G.

The Scandix website doesn't offer ..... 771 for the car merely a LiquiMoly equivalent for the syns. trans. oil with (I assume) Volvo No 1161745, or the ATF with no Volvo equivalent number.

Any advice welcome - Cheers, Bob.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 19:05   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Noting that 1161645 was suitable for the M47 box in the initial post and has now been superseded by 31280771.

Am I right to assume that xxx771 is OK for the M47 in a '90 745? The handbook states either Volvo synthetic trans oil, or ATF type F or G.

The Scandix website doesn't offer ..... 771 for the car merely a LiquiMoly equivalent for the syns. trans. oil with (I assume) Volvo No 1161745, or the ATF with no Volvo equivalent number.

Any advice welcome - Cheers, Bob.
According to my Haynes book, the M47 box takes ATF Type F or G or Duckhams QXR which is the same as you put in the engine, 10W40 semi-synth.

Looking in the handbook for my 760, on the page for the various lubes and how to top-up/change them, it says "Use the same oil as in the engine" then in the back where it specifies all the lubes, ATF Type F or G.

I think you can guess what i'd suggest, Carlube ATF-U as that meets/exceeds Types F and G ATF and is ~SAE32 in terms of viscosity.

Your choice of course!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 18:32   #26
baggy798
🤍💙💗

I use Redline Heavy Shockproof in my M90 and I've just put some in the rear diff too. It's super thick stuff! Apparently increases the torque capacity of the gearbox/diff by "providing a film thickness greater than 75W250, but has a unique low fluid friction like 75W90 grade". My mechanic rates it highly, uses it in his 500hp Z32, although I primarily run it to reduce gear chatter.

Yeah, 31280771 is the correct oil for M90. They list it for a ton of models as well including the latest ones. I've got 2 bottles of that if anyone needs it, £25 collect only from Burton/Swadlincote.

If your M90 shifts nicely I would leave well alone though.

(I use Carlube ATF-U on my corn flakes, just to pep it up a bit!!!)
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 20:32   #27
sonofturd

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-739-cas...arbox-oil.aspx

I use this. Box seems happy enough.
sonofturd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sonofturd For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 21:13   #28
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofturd View Post
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-739-cas...arbox-oil.aspx

I use this. Box seems happy enough.
That'll be equal to or better than the volvo oil (might even be the same oil) so of course its fine! 👍 😉 few quid less too, funnily enough... 😉
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 21:19   #29
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Gear oil is expensive , even the cheapest Castrol syntrax on E bay is £18 a litre . It costs me nearly £60 to change my transaxle oil .
Guessing for your 340?

You should be using ATF Suffix A which is available from Frost.

https://www.frost.co.uk/kroon-oil-aft-a-auto-trans-1l/

I have it in my 360, they sold out after buying 1 unfortunately then messed the order up. Eventually it showed up and then when it came back in to stock another one randomly showed up! By which time I had bought a 5 pack from Germany and so I have 6 litres of the stuff sat here. Good thing I bought another 360... it was to use up the oil... promise!
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 22:05   #30
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
That'll be equal to or better than the volvo oil (might even be the same oil) so of course its fine! 👍 😉 few quid less too, funnily enough... 😉
Volvo oil I collected from main dealer today was £14.40 per litre so slightly cheaper
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: