Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel power...the D24TIC 940 rolling restoration project

Views : 5677

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2021, 22:59   #61
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Some belated updates after a busy summer!

I used the last of the properly warm days to do a job that I’d been putting off for a long time…the lacquer peel on the bonnet, A-pillars and roof of the mighty Derv was exceptionally bad, and deteriorating all the time with use and exposure to the elements. The leading edge of the roof was almost entirely devoid of paint and the bonnet wasn’t far behind. I was quoted £1200 to have it painted professionally, which I’ll get done next year, but in the meantime I HAD to do something about the lacquer peel before winter arrived and threatened rust and structural deterioration.

So, I bit the bullet and had some decent quality rattle cans mixed up, and set about doing it myself. Firstly I underestimated (massively!) how many cans of topcoat I would need, and secondly I underestimated (not quite so massively) how long it would take. Still, I plugged away and got it done after a great deal of faffing about. It actually ended up looking far better than I expected, not perfect by any means but not bad considering it was done outside up my drive!

It will do to keep it safe from the weather during the winter, and I’ll have it stripped and professionally sprayed in the Spring. Given the cost of just having the bonnet, roof and A-pillars, I will likely have the whole car painted. For now, I’ve given it a machine mop with G6 and finished it with Pure Definition Rubescent wax (not expensive but very good, have used their products on my petrol 940 many times and it shines like a new car), and it has gone from looking cosmetically very tired to looking like a presentable and tidy car. Happy with that!

I still need to go over the bumpers with my heat gun (which transformed the plastics on my petrol car!) but have also gone over the car with some factory Regent Red two-pack touchup which is a superb match…even if it goes on purple before it cures…heart in mouth time!! I need to refit my windscreen trims also, but I must tidy them up first as they’re crusty and tatty. I have been trying to find some replacements but Skandix prices are insane and no breakers have any!

Mechanically, other than oil changes every 3k, I’ve not done much to the car in the last few months. On my to-do list is clutch, radiator and rear springs and shocks. It’s been de-Nivo’d at some point in the past already, but the standard springs are corroded (advisory on the last MOT) and the KYB shocks are a little tired so I’ll be refreshing them in the coming months. I plan to change the vacuum pump at some point also as it tends to do that irritating ticky thing at arbitrary times that goes away when the brake pedal is pumped.

I DID have a minor mechanical drama today, when returning home from an appointment at the doc’s…I pulled up to a junction in town and heard an almighty bang from the rear of the car under braking, and it pulled oddly off to the left. I pulled up onto the pavement and had a look underneath, and to my horror saw that the OSR brake caliper had spat its pads out, and one missing and the other hanging on by the merest margin right on the outside…looking over my shoulder I saw the other pad laying in the middle of the road!

Turns out that the roll pins/retaining spring had somehow left the building entirely, and the pads had chattered out. I hastily retrieved the departed pad, stuffed both back into place and pottered VERY gingerly home. Thankfully I had a full set of roll pins and retainers that I’d ordered earlier in the year from Bigg Red, as Kings of Westbury who did my cambelt change advised that they were corroded and should be replaced (I should have heeded this sooner!) so I was able to refresh both sides and be on my way in time for the school run with everything sorted. I must give credit to Bigg Red for their beautifully made parts, the pins are lovely heavy-duty items of the quality that I’d expect to find on a motorsport braking system, and pay a lot more for.

Overall, after a year of ownership, the car is an absolute joy to own and drive, and continues to be a really rewarding restoration project. It’s not hugely rapid but sprightly and has masses of torque, is very good on fuel (just shy of 40mpg average) and makes a wonderful racket when pressing on around town, with its honking great stainless almost-straight-piped exhaust.

It’s taken me all over the country this year, laden with kart racing equipment and often pulling my tow-a-van trailer also, and has never once missed a beat. It may just be a good luck charm also, as after 28yrs of racing, I finally won a national championship!

I’m not far off the 300k miles mark with it, so will be eligible for my bronze High Mileage Club badge from the VOC soon. Hoping to take the old boy to half a million eventually!

‘88 745 GL B200E M47

Last edited by AllHailKingVolvo; Oct 19th, 2021 at 23:01.
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 10:18   #62
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Looking good there Phil!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 19:50   #63
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default oil type

hi phil are you using millers 10.40 semi synthetic oil i have been for 20 years ,
i have just changed to a fully synthetic oil millers brand there advice is a 5w 30 which ive used but people on the D24 forum with our cars are using a 5w 40 , so im tempered on the advice to go for that on a engine like mine with 286000 miles now , o you can get your bronze high milage badge at 150000 miles i have mine ,or wait for the silver at 300000 miles
regards jim
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 21:10   #64
Moomoo
VOC Member

Super sweet! I loved mine. Top,top motor chap!😀
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 21:43   #65
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
hi phil are you using millers 10.40 semi synthetic oil i have been for 20 years ,
i have just changed to a fully synthetic oil millers brand there advice is a 5w 30 which ive used but people on the D24 forum with our cars are using a 5w 40 , so im tempered on the advice to go for that on a engine like mine with 286000 miles now , o you can get your bronze high milage badge at 150000 miles i have mine ,or wait for the silver at 300000 miles
regards jim
I'd stick with what you were using Jim.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 23:25   #66
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
regards jim
I've been using 5w40 fully synthetic oil for the last 40k miles with mine

Seems happy and doesn't need topping up between changes which I do every 6k (motorway miles).
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 21:33   #67
jpliddy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
I've been using 5w40 fully synthetic oil for the last 40k miles with mine

Seems happy and doesn't need topping up between changes which I do every 6k (motorway miles).
hi tufu im probably going to use the 5w40 millers fully synthetic oil now too
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post: