Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

855 windscreen trim removal / coolant loss and puddle

Views : 1056

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 1st, 2021, 13:58   #1
duke1
mad mechanic

Default 855 windscreen trim removal / coolant loss and puddle

hi all as title im seeking guidance for troublesome volvo aka "leaky" which constantly has leaks ever since i bought it nearly a year ago,the passenger footwell is full of coolant and i believe rainwater combo.
i have so far done every single hose on the engine and replaced both heater matrix and deleted the troublesome bulkhead coupling in favour of direct fit heater hose all thats left of the original pipe work is the cut down section of metal pipes that attach to the matrix,all new and volvo o rings.
so 2 questions?
1. how is coolant still getting inside the car and same passenger footwell puddles?are there any other connections between the inside and out im missing ie on ac?
2.i want to use some seek and seal on the windscreen but need to remove the plastic trim that cover parts of the windscreen where it seals some seems to be under the front wing and im unable to see how it is secured,it looks fragile so i do not want to guess and destroy it! thanks for any advices,duke.
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 14:19   #2
cyclogenesis

Depends what trim you are on about. The two 'rails' which go along the roof just unclip, and the trim that goes along the base of the windscreen has a few screws holding it in place. That also gives you access to the cabin filter if you have one fitted. Might be worth looking there anyway as debris in that might be the source of your leak. Check the two drain tube in the gutter are not blocked
cyclogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cyclogenesis For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 18:58   #3
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Is coolant still leaking? Do you have to top it up? When I had, and fixed, a leaky heater matrix it took a lot of washing to get the coolant out of the carpet and underlay and even then the car often smelt of coolant for a long time afterwards.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 19:38   #4
volvo again
Master Member

Check the two drain holes in the scuttle, if they're blocked water can get into the interior via the cabin filter
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 10:56   #5
stevepcar
Steve

Default Leak

If you look on You Tube Robert DIY, who as I am sure a lot of 850 enthusiasts know of, has done a video on finding leaks into the interior. Apart from the heater matrix, he does point to the blocked drain hoses. His tuff always worth a view.
stevepcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 21:42   #6
duke1
mad mechanic

hi all thanks for replies just for the record, so far she has had new radiator and hoses and waterpump and thermostat,heater hose delete of the bulkhead coupling i had an uncertain result with the head gasket sniffer test but intend to rebuild the head in summer if health and finances permit the drains from the cowlhave been cleaned out as they where blocked solid,
so i have intermitent loss of approx 1ltr coolant without running the engine at all.
but zero coolant loss when driven even for long drives,has no misfires and temp rarely gets to middle of the gauge,no bubbles and no sign of water in her cylinders when i did plugs.
half my trouble is having a real bad neck i cannot easily see into the orifice of the heater and must rely on photos to see what there.makes such work a genuine pain in the neck!
if water gets in now i will need to investigate under the cowling but the typical uk rain stopped play today,i just must sort this out ive spent so much hardwork on the volvo and love the car to drive its great,just a determined leaker!cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car 002.jpg (117.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg car 007.jpg (101.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg car 008.jpg (135.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg car 014.jpg (200.5 KB, 17 views)
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 23:21   #7
Joseph Martin
Master Member

Hi duke1,

I am typing out some advice as I have been in exactly the same scenario, however I had three leaks, made even harder by the fact my car is a non-sunroof model. So please take/disregard parts of my post as applicable, but if anything helps then I'm glad:

1) Windscreen - My car has had a replacement screen from the RAC at some point in its life. The bonding has either failed or not been applied thoroughly, it is clear that it has been leaking for a while. My tip is to get a bottle of Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure, and lift the edge of the rubber windscreen seal up just enough with a flat blade screwdriver to get the nozzle of the bottle in there. Now run it from one side of the car to the other, use the flat blade to help if needed. This stuff is runny, its like milk in constancy and you need to remove any from your paintwork before it dries.
My headlining was soaking wet at the windscreen edge, until I did this - this has cured it.

2) Being a non-sunroof model, I had no drains down via the A pillars to worry about. However, the drain exit on the bulkhead is plugged with a rubber bung - there were chew marks on this as if a rodent had been at it. This was another entry point for water into my car.

3) Heater matrix - even though you have changed this, did you renew the rubber 'o' rings where it attaches to the pipes? Apologies if I've missed it.

Hope anything in this helps you with your scenario.
S40 1.6 (x2); 440 1.6i
Joseph Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Martin For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 18:01   #8
duke1
mad mechanic

hi all thanks for the replies well today i investigated under the cowling the wiper arms was a little tricky to get to release one was easy with a small puller,the other the bonnet is in the way no matter what angle the puller would slip,so i modified the tool slightly and as a 2 legged puller it just fit enough to release them,under the cowling was surprisingly clean and i found only a tiny puddle under the cover on the opposite side to my leaky patch but hoovered out the lot and flushed all 4 drain pipes.
i have put it all back together went of for tea and search my shed for the magnet on a stick to recover the damn screw that fell out right down the side of the fusebox,having only 1 proper working hand sucks sometimes
also noted that the general sort of condensation ie mostly water is what is getting in and not coolant as a taste test confirmed,so the coolant loss is likely the headgasket and is being lost via the exhaust?
the car runs perfect and as said the sniffer test was suspect as the car was running over an hour and the fluid remained unchanged until i proper revved the engine and then had slight blueish tinge,did same again after the fan cut in and out,no colour change,thoughts anyone ?
cheers

Tags
coolant loss, footwell puddles, windscreen trim