Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vida reports ADM/DPF errors

Views : 2203

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2021, 10:09   #11
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by goltho View Post
Iain, I asked my mechanic buddy to check the DPF vacuum sensors while he was doing the glow plugs, and he spotted the two pipes were the wrong way round. I ran the car through Vida when I got home, and the sensor is now reading correctly.

What now show as DTCs are a faulty additive level sensor, particulate trap blocked, and an ECMA610 ADM - Qualifier unknown error which I'm sure is down to the lack of info from the ADM.

So the current situation is: -
• When checking live info, the ADM pump and ADM sensor are both showing as not working
• I ran two manual regens which appeared to complete correctly. However, it was after the first one that the Particulate trap blocked error appeared.

I've ordered PAT fluid and will fill the tank next week despite not knowing whether it's full or empty due to the allegedly faulty sensor. The car meantime went into limp mode this afternoon.

I still don't know whether there actually is a faulty ADM sensor and pump or whether the tank is empty (the level was reset blindly a month ago before I got Vida so to my mind, I'm inclined to believe that the ADM thinks it's full when in fact it's empty). Any input on this front would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Dougie.
make sure dpf pressure sensor pipes have clips as any leakage will give false readings. in the possibility you have to replace the pressure sensor get a genuine one volvo/marked ford . cheap ebay ones dont work ... ask me how i know
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 15:16   #12
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by goltho View Post
I still don't know whether there actually is a faulty ADM sensor and pump or whether the tank is empty (the level was reset blindly a month ago before I got Vida so to my mind, I'm inclined to believe that the ADM thinks it's full when in fact it's empty). Any input on this front would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Dougie.
I'm pretty sure that there's a procedure in VIDA to reset the sensor when the EOLYS tank is refilled. I'd need to plug VIDA into our V50 to check that though. If you've just refilled the tank and that procedure was run then you should be able to run the "check level" function in VIDA assuming all is working as it should.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 21:10   #13
goltho
Not my first road EO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
in the possibility you have to replace the pressure sensor get a genuine one volvo/marked ford . cheap ebay ones dont work ... ask me how i know
I believe that despite be careful, I wasn't careful enough and have had to return the replacement sensor and buy a second even-more-less cheap one. Can't say I wasn't warned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
I'm pretty sure that there's a procedure in VIDA to reset the sensor when the EOLYS tank is refilled. I'd need to plug VIDA into our V50 to check that though. If you've just refilled the tank and that procedure was run then you should be able to run the "check level" function in VIDA assuming all is working as it should.
There is, and I reset it. I also found the procedure for (effectively) priming the empty pipe which was also successful. The tank took the 1 litre bottle and could have taken more so I may revisit to make sure it's completely full.
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 21:32   #14
goltho
Not my first road EO

So the current situ is:-

• The additive tank was empty and is now full; level reset and pipe primed
• All ADM errors have disappeared
• I replaced the DPF sensor with a new one but the reading was stuck at 20 regardless of the engine state. I see though that I'm not the first person to experience this. A (hopefully) better replacement is arriving tomorrow.

Two manual regens did not complete successfully so I need to validate a sensor fault before being more convinced that a blocked DPF is actually causing the high pressure readings. I also found my pressure/vacuum gauge tonight so will run a test on the hoses tomorrow.

Next time, I'll advise daughter to pay £250 road tax up front & get a petrol model instead of the "bargain" £20 with about a million quids' worth of parts and aggravation.🙄
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 12:53   #15
iainmd

Ultimately there are many people get stung by this. The 1.6D 16v is supposed to have it's DPF replaced every 75,000 miles. Few owners seem to stick to that ,due to the cost, and ultimately either sell the car just shy of that service due to the impending service cost or they run the car on until problems start to appear at which point they move the car on instead of fixing it.

Unfortunately the emissions systems of many modern day diesels don't lend themselves to many owners use cases for them. They are no good for short journeys only because the DPFs need long journeys to regenerate and the low tax and running costs look falsely attractive due to the hidden costs of ongoing maintenance which few owners investigate at the time of purchase.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 19:09   #16
goltho
Not my first road EO

So the replacement sensor arrived today. I went for a "genuine Ford" one but I'm not convinced it is. It's acting exactly the same as the previous replacement i.e. stuck at one pressure and one voltage reading in all circumstances including engine/ignition off.

Typical signal sensor voltages apparently should be :
Key on engine off 0.5v plausibility voltage.
Idle 1-2v
Full acceleration 1-2v
Readings getting above 2v are now detecting soot accumulation

So by all accounts, the existing sensor seems reasonable, and does appear to work consistently when monitoring in Vida. The flow from the 8mm hose into the sensor feels reasonably good but I don't have a vacuum gauge to check it. I can't speak to the 6mm return hose though. To me though, it's all pointing to the DPF itself.

Opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by goltho; Mar 4th, 2021 at 19:19.
goltho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 20:05   #17
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
If you do need a new DPF have a look here.
https://www.cats2u.co.uk/

I replaced mine on my V50 a few years ago, I have had no issues. I found them actually cheaper via their Ebay outlet.

Lot cheaper than Genuine and has worked well for me. They were very helpful on the phone, there appeared to be 3 to choose from for my car. They also do a fitting kit

Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 20:34   #18
goltho
Not my first road EO

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Hi
If you do need a new DPF have a look here.
https://www.cats2u.co.uk/
I already have in actual fact and they are good prices. Don't suppose you've any thoughts on this sensor situ?

And where are you in Fife? I'm an Edinbugger.

Dougie.
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 22:43   #19
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
And where are you in Fife? I'm an Edinbugger.
The other Iain I am in
Plymouth!

The sensor pipes have been prone to perish/crack on the flexi part underneath due to the heat.
Have you confirmed both of the pipes are intact and sound and not leaking at all?
Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 22:49   #20
goltho
Not my first road EO

Quote:
The other Iain I am in..... Plymouth!
Doh! So you are.

Quote:
The sensor pipes have been prone to perish/crack on the flexi part underneath due to the heat. Have you confirmed both of the pipes are intact and sound and not leaking at all?
Yes I'm aware of this. There appear to be no leaks on either pipe but in any case that would reduce pressure rather than increase it afaics.

Dougie.