Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

18” Ixion to 17” Ixion swap on v60 R Design

Views : 1186

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 13:04   #1
wigstonv70

Default 18” Ixion to 17” Ixion swap on v60 R Design

Hi.

18” Ixion to 17” Ixion swap on v60 R Design – Is this posssible?

I run a 2012 V60 T4 r design. It is currently shod with 18” ixion alloys with Goodyear eagle f1 235/40 R18 tyres. Unfortunately the usual driver (not me!) is less than careful when parking, the wheels have sustained substantial scuff marks on the rims and could do with a refurb.

I have seen these advertised..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-V40...1/174480788693

I am considering obtaining them, and fitting them instead of the 18” standard wheels.

My thinking is that these 17” rims may be less susceptible to kerb damage due to higher tyre profile, they will give a more compliant ride and the looks of the car will be retained.

Will they fit? I can’t see any reason why not . The disks and calipers are standard and 17” should fit over them. I assume the hole spacing and centre bore will be the same.

Is there any reason suspension and steering wise that might not be a good idea?

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
wigstonv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 20:04   #2
Deck1ng
Master Member

Do you have a handbook? In mine it tells me what tyre/combo I can put on my XC60 D5
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 23:07   #3
JeffCooper63

I can't see why not - our V60 has 17" on (and I'm contemplating 18" R-Design !!) although they're not ixion; have a look at how much of a gap there is between the caliper and the rim, if it's more than an inch I don't think there's anything else that could get in the way - the offset is the same I would have thought, and the overall diameter of the wheel/tyre will be very similiar so rubbing on the liner wouldn't be an issue. There's no way Volvo would swap out suspension and other stuff, just to change the initial production wheels, and there were many options at the time of ordering. In fact, if you go to the accesories page on Volvo Uk website, you can see what size wheels you can buy from them, and they certainly don't indicate you'd have to swap anything else !
JeffCooper63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 23:23   #4
wigstonv70

Thanks Deck1ing for the suggestion. Unfortunately handbook not a lot of use in that it mentions (page 366) tyre sizes only. A choice of 235/45 or 215/50 on a 17" wheel. The equivalent page on the V40 handbook gives a choice of 205/50 or 225/45 on a 17" wheel! Actual wheel dimensions not given. Handbook (page 354) also gives the dimensions for the front and rear track, which is different for a 16" wheel to a 17" wheel, but doesnt mention what it is for an 18" wheel.
No distinction is made between models ie R Design or Business edition etc. I suspect that the suspension on the R design is different (stiffer, and has a strut brace under the bonnet) and don't know if it is critical to wheel and tyre size.

Last edited by wigstonv70; Jan 23rd, 2021 at 23:29.
wigstonv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 00:33   #5
Deck1ng
Master Member

Worth a look 😁
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 08:51   #6
samball

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigstonv70 View Post
Hi.

I run a 2012 V60 T4 r design. It is currently shod with 18” ixion alloys with Goodyear eagle f1 235/40 R18 tyres. Unfortunately the usual driver (not me!) is less than careful when parking, the wheels have sustained substantial scuff marks on the rims and could do with a refurb.

I am considering obtaining them, and fitting them instead of the 18” standard wheels.

My thinking is that these 17” rims may be less susceptible to kerb damage due to higher tyre profile, they will give a more compliant ride and the looks of the car will be retained.

Will they fit? I can’t see any reason why not . The disks and calipers are standard and 17” should fit over them. I assume the hole spacing and centre bore will be the same.

Have a look at this wheel fitment website should help in answering your question:-

https://www.wheelfitment.eu/car/Volv...-%202018).html
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 10:13   #7
Zebster
Upstanding Member

My R-Design V60 has 18" Ixion wheels and the clearance on the front calipers is very generous. And when I replaced the front discs they were actually the smallest diameter of the three options available for the V/S/XC60 range. The spare wheel is only 17".
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 10:50   #8
Chrisv60

It's not going to be cheap once you've bought the wheels and had new tyres fitted all round.

I don't think the difference in ride quality will really be noticeable and I don't think they will be much less prone to scuffing unless the driver changes their habits.

How does the cost compare with having your existing wheels refurbed and using your original tyres? Or is it even worth having them refurbed at the moment? I would be rather cross if someone scuffed my new or refurbed wheels through careless habit.
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 11:45   #9
Easington
Master Member

I think they would fit no problem and as long as your tyre profile was correct it wouldn't be an issue.

Another option to consider would be rim protectors:

https://rimsavers.com/?gclid=CjwKCAi...hoC3ckQAvD_BwE

or

https://alloygator.com/uk/product/se...BoCvDwQAvD_BwE
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 16:50   #10
NickRno77

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigstonv70 View Post
Hi.

High there, I think I have buckled one of my Ixion 18 wheels so depending the costs I could end up by a new set of Volvo wheels or Aftermarket. I’d like asmalle rim size for the same reason.

Can I ask?

Did you do this, if you did are the circumference of the 18 the same a the 17.

Cheers