Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 602012

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2020, 13:41   #2451
Longweekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Good news!

What is the actual problem?
The emission light came on, not too sure what is required but they need the car for 4 hours...
Longweekend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2020, 20:05   #2452
Longweekend

It went in today and was fitted with a new EGR cooler and updated software, let's hope this one works, and a big thank you to Volvo for footing the bill.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Longweekend For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 08:44   #2453
fjmd

Hello, I was checking this thread, and after dozens of pages I couldn't understand for sure if there was an actual fix or not - sorry. Or if it's just a temporary fix.
I noticed a pattern; some Volvo dealers messing up the solutions/fix, other not trying to help the client in anyway.
But is the recall/replacement a solution? I'm on a verge of getting a 200.000+ km D4 and I wouldn't like to get the car on fire;D
thanks!
fjmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 09:10   #2454
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmd View Post
Hello, I was checking this thread, and after dozens of pages I couldn't understand for sure if there was an actual fix or not - sorry. Or if it's just a temporary fix.
I noticed a pattern; some Volvo dealers messing up the solutions/fix, other not trying to help the client in anyway.
But is the recall/replacement a solution? I'm on a verge of getting a 200.000+ km D4 and I wouldn't like to get the car on fire;D
thanks!
This thread mainly relates to the issue of the EGR cooler becoming blocked. I don't believe there was ever a recall for this issue, it was addressed on an individual basis when the problem was identified (a specific error code points is used to identify the blockage). Nevertheless improvements were made to the cooler design, plus the connection to the vehicle coolant system was also modified to reduce the build-up of condensation inside the cooler, plus the engine software was modified at least once. However these actions just served to mitigate the problem and none can really be considered a 'fix', given that the problem continues to reoccur. Later versions of the diesel VEA (from ~2017) used AdBlue as a NOx control feature; this would then significantly reduce the need for such a high EGR flow and so reduce the likelihood of soot build-up in the engine intake - this is as close to a fix as it gets!

This thread is not about the international recall programme relating to a fire risk in relation to soot build-up in the intake manifold/intake valve spit back. Have a look at this thread for more info... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...highlight=Fire
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 15:36   #2455
Derek9969

Default Outside warranty - EGR replacement

Hello, reading through this thread I may have been lucky with my XC60 D4, registered June 2015 with 87,000 miles owned since new - the engine check light is now permanently on. It did come on for a while last year but went off during a 200 mile day round-trip.

Full service history with my local dealership, so I'm taking it to them on Wednesday.

Having read through the forum, I'm hoping not to pay for a replacement EGR or the investigation as I'm expecting the dealership to complete the MOT while they have the car.
Derek9969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 15:57   #2456
Longweekend

Derek,
Volvo should sort the issue out for you if they are consistent with their support, mine has had the EGR replaced twice now both paid by Volvo, the car has 88k and full service history with Volvo main dealer, last time the service manager said that with the new software it should be finally sorted....
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 23:26   #2457
V70Gavin

Default Volvo XC60 D4 VEA

Advice please. I went through the EGR merry-go-round back in June last year with the D4 in my XC70. Eventually had EGR replaced at 50% contribution (frustrating to see that 100% seems possible). My symptoms had been poor pick up, engine dips at idle and "clicking" EGR...but no engine management light.

Anyhow, a family friend has an XC60 with the engine management light on. Unbeknown to me she took it to Volvo, it was diagnosed as needing a new intake manifold (no discussion of why...surely a stuck open EGR?). She then took car to her local garage to get the work down (to save £200...hmm). Manifold replaced and yet she still has the same DTCs up:

P00BC - MAF circuit range/performance
P2009 - Intake manifold air control actuator bank1 - circuit low
P0471 = Exhaust gas pressure sensor - range/performance problem

And the invoice states "additional labour charge for clearing heavily coked inlet manifold".

This is all screaming EGR problem to me. But having shelled out £440 for the manifold work, she is now very loathe to spend more money.

What does anyone think?

(I intend to get her to take it back to the Volvo garage and press for an EGR change but fear she has wasted £440 by trying to cut corners....unless of course it did need a new one having melted the original one)
(EGR fitted is part no 31422119)

Many thanks,

Gavin
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 08:25   #2458
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70Gavin View Post
Advice please. I went through the EGR merry-go-round back in June last year with the D4 in my XC70. Eventually had EGR replaced at 50% contribution (frustrating to see that 100% seems possible). My symptoms had been poor pick up, engine dips at idle and "clicking" EGR...but no engine management light.

Anyhow, a family friend has an XC60 with the engine management light on. Unbeknown to me she took it to Volvo, it was diagnosed as needing a new intake manifold (no discussion of why...surely a stuck open EGR?). She then took car to her local garage to get the work down (to save £200...hmm). Manifold replaced and yet she still has the same DTCs up:

P00BC - MAF circuit range/performance
P2009 - Intake manifold air control actuator bank1 - circuit low
P0471 = Exhaust gas pressure sensor - range/performance problem

And the invoice states "additional labour charge for clearing heavily coked inlet manifold".

This is all screaming EGR problem to me. But having shelled out £440 for the manifold work, she is now very loathe to spend more money.

What does anyone think?

(I intend to get her to take it back to the Volvo garage and press for an EGR change but fear she has wasted £440 by trying to cut corners....unless of course it did need a new one having melted the original one)
(EGR fitted is part no 31422119)

Many thanks,

Gavin
Where you say 'EGR' it would be helpful if you would clarify whether you mean the cooler or the valve? This thread mostly refers to the problem of the cooler blocking (mine has been replaced twice, at no cost to me) which merely causes a warning light, although some of us have also needed the valve replacing (for which I only got a 50% contribution from Volvo, so cost me £337) due to it sticking open and seriously affecting the engine running. Most valve replacements appear to only attract a 50% goodwill offer from Volvo, although I have seen a few posts suggested they got the full 100%.

In relation to a potential fire risk, last year there was a worldwide recall for the intake manifold... in extreme cases intake valve stems could become obstructed by soot build-up and there was a risk that combustion spit-back into the plastic intake manifold could ignite any internal accumulation of soot and oil causing a serious underbonnet fire. Mine was found to be suffering from a build-up in the manifold causing the 'swirl valve' assembly to be getting jammed and so the entire intake manifold assembly was replaced at no cost to me. Compression tests and visual inspections were also performed to ensure that the intake valves were properly sealing. Did your friend respond to this recall?
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 09:42   #2459
V70Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Where you say 'EGR' it would be helpful if you would clarify whether you mean the cooler or the valve? This thread mostly refers to the problem of the cooler blocking (mine has been replaced twice, at no cost to me) which merely causes a warning light, although some of us have also needed the valve replacing (for which I only got a 50% contribution from Volvo, so cost me £337) due to it sticking open and seriously affecting the engine running. Most valve replacements appear to only attract a 50% goodwill offer from Volvo, although I have seen a few posts suggested they got the full 100%.

In relation to a potential fire risk, last year there was a worldwide recall for the intake manifold... in extreme cases intake valve stems could become obstructed by soot build-up and there was a risk that combustion spit-back into the plastic intake manifold could ignite any internal accumulation of soot and oil causing a serious underbonnet fire. Mine was found to be suffering from a build-up in the manifold causing the 'swirl valve' assembly to be getting jammed and so the entire intake manifold assembly was replaced at no cost to me. Compression tests and visual inspections were also performed to ensure that the intake valves were properly sealing. Did your friend respond to this recall?
Zebster,

Thank you for your quick response to my plea for help.

My car had the EGR valve replaced (50% goodwill) but no work to the cooler. So I guess have the EGR valve at the front of my mind when trying to work out how to solve my friend's problem.

The fact that her car was diagnosed as needing a new manifold and that they had to clean out much soot, suggests to me that the EGR valve was (and still is) sticking open. And so I fear that this manifold will go the same way unless we tackle (what I think is) the source of the problem.

Her car remains in "Reduced Performance" mode despite having a new manifold fitted.

Good point about the fire risk recall, I was reading the thread (esp your posts)on it last night. I will check the status of her car with Volvo today.

Do those error codes (DTCs) ring any bells with you? Could they help identify the cause of the "reduced performance"?

Many thanks,

Gavin
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 10:49   #2460
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70Gavin View Post
My car had the EGR valve replaced (50% goodwill) but no work to the cooler. So I guess have the EGR valve at the front of my mind when trying to work out how to solve my friend's problem.

The fact that her car was diagnosed as needing a new manifold and that they had to clean out much soot, suggests to me that the EGR valve was (and still is) sticking open. And so I fear that this manifold will go the same way unless we tackle (what I think is) the source of the problem.

Her car remains in "Reduced Performance" mode despite having a new manifold fitted.

Good point about the fire risk recall, I was reading the thread (esp your posts)on it last night. I will check the status of her car with Volvo today.

Do those error codes (DTCs) ring any bells with you? Could they help identify the cause of the "reduced performance"?
Soot build up in the EGR system and intake manifold is normal and doesn't in itself suggest that the valve is sticking open. If it does stick open then that will affect the running and actually made mine undriveable. If the valve sticks shut (same as the cooler getting blocked) then the engine will run fine, but there will be a dashboard warning. When working normally the valve does allow a controlled flow of exhaust gases into the intake.

I'm not an expert on Volvo codes (I'd be far more confident with Honda codes) but...
'P00BC - MAF circuit range/performance' indicates that the expected MAF is out of the range expected by the ECU map, which will happen if the EGR flow is too high or too low (e.g. the amount of fresh air intake being displaced by recycled exhaust is outside the expected limits). When my car broke down I got several same/similar codes indicating that the MAF was low (I carry a code reader in the car) hence I was able to provisionally diagnose that the EGR valve had stuck open whilst waiting for the recovery agent.

'P2009 - Intake manifold air control actuator bank1 - circuit low' - I'm not sure, but the P20nn series of DTCs usually relates to IMRC ('swirl valve') issues, being in the wrong position or moving too slow, etc. However when my intake manifold was replaced due to the integral swirl valve being sticky I had no codes. But I used to get these all the time with my old Honda!

'P0471 = Exhaust gas pressure sensor - range/performance problem' - never seen this. Bear in mind that the EGR valve being unexpectedly open will affect exhaust manifold pressure as the exhaust then vents into the intake. Additionally these engines do have a not uncommon issue with the EMAP pipe becoming blocked with soot and therefore preventing the sensor properly reading the exhaust manifold pressure. The intake manifold check recall did also include cleaning of the EMAP and TMAP sensors (and pipework?)