Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CVVT solenoid: new connector task

Views : 3832

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 18th, 2009, 17:33   #1
terry_cunnane
The accompanist

Lightbulb CVVT solenoid: new connector task

I've just replaced the CVVT valve on my 199 V70. Volvo have modified it so you need to assemble the new connector PROPERLY. Luckily I wasn't in a hurry and looked at it really hard. I can see it would be easy to mash it if you do it wrongly.
This is the new valve.
Here is how you get the new connector

You have to dismantle it like this.

Make sure you have the fitting attached to the wire the correct way round. There is only one correct way. See the photo below tocheck it. Once you push the wire in it will click and lock itself home.

Insert the other wire in the same way. Then slide the green plastic part on similar to the way you removed it. Then you can put the whole thing into the black casing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg valve.jpg (94.6 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg connector 1.jpg (160.2 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg connector 2.jpg (191.4 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg connector 3.jpg (231.2 KB, 180 views)
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 15:09   #2
t5tim

Nice one Terry, just having mine done today
t5tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 22:58   #3
Manic Volvo

Great post Terry.
I'm having trouble deciding which wire in my harness to splice into which post. I know that solenoids do not care about polarity, but I have one wire with 12V on my old plug and one wire showing no ground or voltage.
Or perhaps that is only because I tested it in switch podition II where the ECU is doing some kind f power on test?

Thanks for any help on this.

David

The plug I got has a different part number now. It looks the same but the wires are different. I've been trying to pull te plug apart but to no avail. Anyone know how hard this plug is to separate? I cannot get the wires to lock as it is assembled.

Last edited by Manic Volvo; Aug 5th, 2011 at 01:56. Reason: Newfound information
Manic Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 00:06   #4
cherylrhoda
OVLOV mad

Hi, Could i ask why tou are changing this part, what symtoms were you having, asking as im still having a problem with my car pinking and this valve was top on my list. I might be barking up the wrong tree. How much is this valve.
Thanks.
Chris.
cherylrhoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 15:27   #5
Manic Volvo

Thumbs up CVVT Solenoid failure codes

In my case I changed the solenoid because I had an erro code of P1672 on my non-turbo V70 engine. Non-turbo is mounted on the intake side.

On the turbo model it appears to be a code of P1132 and located on the exhaust side.

Same function but slightly different parts and codes.

I wouldn't replace it unless I had the code showing, the ECU monitors that solenoid and lets you know when it is not working properly.

A good cleaning of the valve parts with carb cleaner failed to produce any results.
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 16:07   #6
buubba

I bought new (used) CVVT, but did not get the connector and I just have to cut the wires and plug them with wires only.
Could someone please specify that which one is marked as 1 and 2 on new connector, thanks.
buubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 00:06   #7
Manic Volvo

Wink How to Find wire #1

This is from Woody59 on another forum. It's what I used and it fixed my code problem.

- the green/orange wire is pin 1, yellow brown is pin 2. The connector supplied has the markings for pins 1 & 2.
- if you connect it up wrong, you get a P0013 CEL
- yes the connector supplied in the kit is a pain. I tried using it and kept getting a P0013 indicating it wasn't making the connection.

Here is the very detailed posting link. Well worth a look.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=21162

Good Luck
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 18:45   #8
buubba

Thanks Manic!

Got the CVVT installed and now everything is working as should. I soldered the wires and none codes appeared.
buubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 18:32   #9
Jocar0411

Post S40 solenoid noise!!!

Hi there, sorry to jump in with another question but...... I have a s40 sport and there is a drrrrr noise coming from the engine. I have been told that it is the solenoid (intake). We have replaced it and it is still doing it. We have disconnected the plug-in thingy and the noise stops. Can someone help me with this please. Can the car be driven with it disconnected, is it going to mess up my car? Do I need to get new wiring? HELP PLEASE!!!!
Jocar0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 14:24   #10
marcher49

Default CVVT connectors available

Just found a source for the new style CVVT connectors. I believe these should fit most Volvo models although listed as T5.

Inlet side
http://www.maxxtuning.eu/products/en...lvo-vvt-intake

Exhaust side
http://www.maxxtuning.eu/products/en...vo-vvt-exhaust

The prices are $7 each plus delivery charge.

Maxtuning are based in Sweden
marcher49 is offline   Reply With Quote