Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing seals on brake restrictor/limiter valve????

Views : 928

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2020, 22:00   #1
fishyboy

Default Replacing seals on brake restrictor/limiter valve????

Hi All,
I have the old brake restricted valve from my ‘66 131 and would like to see if I can repair it. I have a rebuild kit.

Has anyone had success rebuilding one of these valves and has any tips to share.

Many thanks.
Phil
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 13:07   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

Don't undo/change the adjustment nut. That is factory set after testing the unit.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 11:30   #3
fishyboy

Thanks for the advice to-date.
I managed to get the BRV apart without any difficultly (and it is a big spring).
I replaced the two seals on the piston and the o-ring, which seals the big hex nut. Unfortunately, there is a little rust on the bore where the piston is located. Once my 12mm hone arrive I'll try and see if it cleans up but I suspect that I may end up buying a new valve.

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5653.jpg (165.7 KB, 20 views)
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 15:50   #4
fishyboy

Hi all,
The rusty bores were beyond my skill-set so I sent the whole thing off to Past Parts (www.pastparts.co.uk) who re-sleeved the worn bores, replaced all the seals, plated parts requiring plating and powder coated the body. Looks too good to put back on and at half the price of a new one.
Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5655.jpg (174.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5653.jpg (165.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5869.jpg (219.2 KB, 17 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to fishyboy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 18:07   #5
morwenna240

Aren't these the things that Rob at Amazon recommends taking off altogether, as overkill an not really necessary?
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 20:01   #6
fishyboy

Hi
Rob mainly takes them off for rally cars, where drivers want be able to lock the rears to lock up or where the valves a failed. I drive a bit more like Mr Magoo and need all the help I can get. As a safety feature they are nice to have providing they are working properly. My car had a problem with rears locking up before the fronts (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=307757). I used a spare NOS brake restricter/balance valve for my 1800 and this sorted the problem. Now I'm going to switch back to the original one.

If there should be one on your car and you remove it completely your are probably obliged to inform your insurance company, especially as this is a safety feature.

Phil
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 21:18   #7
morwenna240

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyboy View Post
Hi
Rob mainly takes them off for rally cars, where drivers want be able to lock the rears to lock up or where the valves a failed. I drive a bit more like Mr Magoo and need all the help I can get. As a safety feature they are nice to have providing they are working properly. My car had a problem with rears locking up before the fronts (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=307757). I used a spare NOS brake restricter/balance valve for my 1800 and this sorted the problem. Now I'm going to switch back to the original one.

If there should be one on your car and you remove it completely your are probably obliged to inform your insurance company, especially as this is a safety feature.

Phil
Eek! Urgh! Rules, ins companys?! Tsk, he said, spluttering mirthlessly into his beer.
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 10:13   #8
Alf ista
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyboy View Post
Hi all,
The rusty bores were beyond my skill-set so I sent the whole thing off to Past Parts (www.pastparts.co.uk) who re-sleeved the worn bores, replaced all the seals, plated parts requiring plating and powder coated the body. Looks too good to put back on and at half the price of a new one.
Phil
I have two of these on my '70 dual circuit braking system. They look a bit rough and I planned to possibly replace them. Having two though would be expensive. Interested to hear about pastparts. Would you mind letting us know what they charged you for this?
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 11:26   #9
Underdrive

Adjustable brake bias valves are commonplace in motorsport, they allow you to set the bias to a level you feel comfortable with. Various makes, designs and prices at Demon Tweeks.
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 17:29   #10
fishyboy

Hi Alf Ista
The rebuild was £124.50 including return postage. Probably if you don't want all the cosmetic work as well.
Phil