Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

123 Distributor

Views : 2146

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 17:07   #11
morwenna240

Regarding Amazon69's reply, an seeing them widely an continuously advertised in mags like Classic an Sportscar, must mean that they are reasonable. You may have a "made on friday at 4:30 lemon" one! Just bell 123. Good luck.
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 18:04   #12
Underdrive

It may be perfectly OK and they are all like that. I just wanted to establish how it compares with others because I would be surprised if it can perform correctly with that much movement. The small round magnets held in the aluminium disc are triggering the exact position of the shaft, but they are not fixed firmly to it. And then the rotor arm is not held firmly in an exact position on the shaft. It maybe that it doesn't matter that much I would like to know for my own peace of mind. There is a slight 'pulsing' uneven response from the engine most noticeable at 30mph in 4th with a steady throttle, that might be due to the distributor. I will remove the points distributor from my Amazon and try that to see if it makes any difference.
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Underdrive For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 14:30   #13
Underdrive

So it seems nobody with one of these distributors is able to take their distributor caps off and give it a wiggle for me. Over the weekend I emailed 123 in Holland and put the question to them to see if this amount of free play is normal. The reply this morning said I can send it to them to have a look at but it will cost 150 euros +VAT!! Don't think I will be doing that.
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 18:36   #14
arcturus
arcturus

The top,silver rotor "wiggles" What you need to look at is the play in the shaft through the body. The shaft I am referring to Is the one on which the rotor arm sits, through to where it connects to the drive when you install it into the motor It should feel reasonably wiggle free in the body. A small amount of play through wear would probably be acceptable.just like any spindle in a housing,the spindle in a bicycle hub for example. Sorry I can't help more.Distance gets in the way!

Last edited by arcturus; Oct 12th, 2020 at 18:41.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 08:30   #15
Underdrive

Thank you Arcturus, but you seem to have missed where the play is. It isn't where the shaft engages with the drive 'dog' and it's not play between the shaft and the distributor body. The movement between the rotor arm and shaft is probably wear on the rotor arm. I would have expected that the alu disc would be fixed more firmly to the shaft and it's interesting that you say yours does 'wiggle' I would expect that to only increase with use.
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 09:04   #16
arcturus
arcturus

I will open mine and try a short video for you.

Done that. There is a rotational movement of the disk 4 or 5 degrees, clock anti clock wise. no other lateral movement.I have taken a short video but the file is too big to post here. If necessary I will post it on my FB. Do you have FB access?

Last edited by arcturus; Oct 13th, 2020 at 10:11.
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 10:47   #17
Underdrive

Thanks, that is very helpful. FB is good for me, do you want to send me a private message on here with your details? I still don't see how that much movement could be desirable on an instrument that is responsible for delivering a spark at a consistantly accurate point in the engine's cycle.
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 13:33   #18
arcturus
arcturus

It's to do with the vacuum advance I believe.There should be a small connection nipple for the advance tube at three oclock on the body,to the right of the wires entry.The B20 123 is set up for vac advance

Last edited by arcturus; Oct 13th, 2020 at 13:36.
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 16:23   #19
Underdrive

Yes it does have a vac connection, but I don't see how that could influence the position of the alu disc.
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 23:21   #20
morwenna240

This is most annoying for you. There must be a garage/restorer who has fitted a number of these, an would know?
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morwenna240 For This Useful Post: