Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Power steering for your 120,140,1800 & ES

Views : 6352

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2019, 12:58   #21
Derek UK
VOC Member

I run 30 psi all round on my estate. 165 tyres and I'm always one -up. To me that gives neutral handling. I've tried 32 psi but found the front end to be less grippy when attacking wet and greasy roundabouts. Not going fast but they can catch you out. A just noticeable harder ride too so I think 34 psi would make things worse.

I'd say 28f/30r for a little understeer, 30 all round for neutral and 32f/30r making it prone to oversteer. YMMV. Maybe you'd prefer to add 2 psi to those figures if you carry more passengers.

My tyres are a little old by modern thinking so new would likely improve the overall grip but I think the characteristics would stay the same. Volvo has always recommended lower front pressures for the front over the back for safety reasons but understeering into the hedge on an unanticipated bend is down to you, not tyre pressures!

With everything in decent condition, the steering on an Amazon should be light over about 10mph. Yes, it's heavy when doing 3 point turns etc but over walking pace steering becomes much easier. Steering wheel size is a factor as anyone who has tried a 14" wheel will attest. At 70 mph I'd welcome a slight increase in weight. From about 10 mph its lighter than the PS on my Nissan Primera. I like the weighting on that.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 13:07   #22
sleek lemur

Interesting stuff. My steering feels somewhat "sticky" at speeds below 20 mph, which makes me think I need to slacken something off a bit.

New purchase. Working my way through all these things as I go!
sleek lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sleek lemur For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 14:54   #23
Derek UK
VOC Member

Jack up the front end and put a pair of stands under the lower suspension A-arms. The steering wheel should turn from full lock either way with no stiff spot at the midpoint. If stiff across the centre point, undo the lock nut on top of the steering box and undo the screw 1/4 turn retighten lock nut and recheck. If the stiffness has gone, fine but you could try it 1/8th turn instead of a quarter to see if you can feel any stiffness. The screw has a very coarse thread so a small amount of turn gives a big adjustment. Report back.

Idler arm bush can cause stiffness and if the lower outer suspension ball joints are dry and greaseless they can make the steering stiff too. Stiffness in these joints will be less obvious with the wheels unloaded.
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 17:49   #24
sleek lemur

Brilliant, Derek! Thank you.

I shall get on it tomorrow!
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 15:49   #25
sleek lemur

Reporting back.

Slackened the screw off 1/4 turn, which transformed the steering feel. Turned it back an eighth and test drove. Think I felt some stiffness, so slackened off 1/16th. Test drove. Seemed to be fine. So I have basically loosened by 3/16.

What is the sign that I have over-slackened the adjustment?

Thanks again, Derek. The car immediately feels like it should. I can now understand why correspondents were suggesting that the non power assisted steering is fine.
Old Aug 10th, 2019, 01:20   #26
Derek UK
VOC Member

Sounds as if you've got it about right. Over slack as you're calling it is a bit difficult to judge. A bit slack is better than a bit tight. The problem with these boxes now is age and wear. If you have a couple of threads showing above the lock nut the box has a good bit of life left, many thousands of miles 5k miles a year for the next 15 years maybe. You might think that enough. One thread showing and it is a bit worn but should be fine for a long time. No threads showing and it's getting near the end of life if you're going to put the miles on. There are no new worms and gears available. The worm is part of the shaft. Good low mileage boxes are getting harder to find. Because of the way these boxes work they show a bit of free play at the wheel around the centre point even when new and this gets worse as it wears. This is why they tend to get adjusted too tight due to trying to get rid of this free play. Lots of play isn't ideal but if the adjustment is correct you get used to it. 2" each side of centre isn't uncommon. Make sure the oil level is up to the top. You should easily be able to see it. It should be 80 grade gear oil but the rear axle is 90 so you might as well use that. One bottle on the shelf rather than two and it saves you money too. The oil seal at the bottom by the Pitman arm is prone to leaking so if yours does keep an eye on the oil. If the lower bush is worn this will make things worse and even if you fit a new seal, it may not last long.

Enjoy your driving.
Old Aug 10th, 2019, 08:14   #27
sleek lemur

Hmm...I think my box is rather worn and I suspect that it had been over-adjusted to compensate. The slack at the steering wheel I had read about, and indeed having switched recently from a Mercedes 280SL of the same vintage, am quite comfortable with.

Interesting that these bits are unavailable, when you have such great general availability from Brookhouse etc. Let's hope some clever person solves that!

Am likely to do many more miles now that I actually enjoy driving the car!😁😁
Old Aug 10th, 2019, 10:19   #28
arcturus
arcturus

It's surprising that some smart entrepreneur/engineer hasn't set up a system to manufacture replacement shafts
. There must be quite a call for them.
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 15:29   #29
bells

Hi there, newbie here resurrecting this thread as just become owner of a lovely P1800 ES. Given how my garage and drive are configured I do a lot of manoeuvring and it would be great to get some slow speed assistance to the steering.

Has anybody on here actually fitted the EZ systems from Holland (http://www.ezpowersteering.nl/)? It kind of looks exactly what I’m after but I really don’t want to ruin the feel when driving normally.

Any first hand experience in a P1800 ES?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D225EA37-FD0D-4CBC-8095-90F3ED2045BA.jpg (128.8 KB, 6 views)
bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 15:51   #30
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bells View Post
Hi there, newbie here resurrecting this thread as just become owner of a lovely P1800 ES. Given how my garage and drive are configured I do a lot of manoeuvring and it would be great to get some slow speed assistance to the steering.

Has anybody on here actually fitted the EZ systems from Holland (http://www.ezpowersteering.nl/)? It kind of looks exactly what I’m after but I really don’t want to ruin the feel when driving normally.

Any first hand experience in a P1800 ES?
with the right tyre pressure and new tires and suspension good you should not need power steering unless you have a personal weakness perhaps ...