Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

tapping and juddering

Views : 2092

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2015, 12:17   #11
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

I did have a 'jangleing' noise on mine a few years back, it turned out to be a rather spectacular rear wheel bearing failure....... one that I sort of ignored fro too long before investigating.......

It eventually went VERY noisy.... but drove home at about 10mph for 2 miles.....
I didnt have the massive pullers to remove the bearing, so went to a scrappy and pulled a 1/2 shaft, regreased it and stuffed it in. Been good for 3 or 4 yrs now.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 07:29   #12
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Yikes! Nothing like that. In fact, swapping one bearing+shaft made little difference to the noise.
But since I last posted, the juddering has gone again, and the car has covered several hundred miles. So I still don't know what it was, or whether it's gone for good.

The engine tapping is more persistent. I've been monitoring the circumstances and the loudness, but come to no conclusions.

It is loudest when cold. As the engine warms up it diminishes considerably.
It is just a ticking noise at idle, increases in loudness up to 1800 rpm, and has largely gone at 2000 rpm.
It is mainly a feature of gentle acceleration. On hard acceleration, or over-run, it goes away.
It does it in all gears apart from 5th.
It has no effect on running or performance.

So that seems to eliminate anything to do with the valve gear, because that would surely be purely speed-dependent, not related to drive torque?
It has some connection with gearbox, but not a lot.
It is unaffected by clutch.

Short of taking the engine to pieces to examine pistons, connecting rods, bearings, etc, I can't think of anything to do other than leave it and wait and see if anything happens?

It has I now realise been doing it for a very long time- over 100,000 miles.
Because it is most noticeable when cold, and that is when I run the car on petrol before switching over to gas, I had put it down to the rather hydraullic-sounding noise that lots of cars make from the fuel injection system. But I now realise it does it irrespective of type of fuel.

Perhaps it's just a feature of a 2.3 engine with a bit of piston slap, and nothing to worry about?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 11:53   #13
Derek UK
VOC Member

Piston slap is a possibility. Didn't late engines and Turbos get oil squirters to minimise that?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 17:51   #14
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Hi Clifford..could it be injection related..ie leaking injector seal say for instance or some related leak?..hj.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to honestjoe For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2015, 08:22   #15
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

That's interesting - I hadn't thought of that. You mean a leaking injector seal could make a noise simply from the induction pressure imbalance, even if the injectors were not operating because the car was running on gas?

I'll check that straightaway with the WD40 test.
Old May 20th, 2015, 09:54   #16
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Now you mention that HJ mine did 'tick' when my intake manifold gasket leaked.

It was engine speed related until once at a certain speed, the engine/road noise masked it.

Injectors caused a lumpy idle and juddery acceleration , but was okay when 'cold' in choke mode.....

Both since have been replaced.

Last edited by Paul240480; May 20th, 2015 at 09:56.
Old May 20th, 2015, 20:46   #17
BrianH
VOC Member

Default another thought

Oil feed to cam shaft.

Go into brickboard and search cam lubrication.

Just did that, and how to clean the oil ways

If not you have a big problem.

BrianH
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 11:03   #18
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post

If not you have a big problem.
Oh.
There is plenty of oil flying around under the cap, and it pools by the valve buckets. So it doesn't look like oil starvation.
Also I don't see why camshaft or valve noise would vary with tiny variations in engine load at a constant speed?

Not injectors - there is no change of note or speed when spraying WD40 around the seals.
Old May 21st, 2015, 11:26   #19
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Did you spray round the intake manifold too?
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 18:03   #20
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Update:

1) The drive juddering has vanished. Whatever caused it seems to have stopped, and hasn't returned in the approx 1000 miles I've driven since last posting.

2) The engine tapping however is still the same. I've taken the cam shaft out, checked the buckets, no cracked shims, no apparent play in the bearings, no obvious blockage in the oil supply, plenty of oil flying around.
I did think the noise seemed to be coming from the distributor, and I imagined it chattering up and down because of end-float in the shaft. But my spare one does exactly the same, so it's not that.
It diminishes a bit when hot, and ceases above about 2000 rpm, but below that is quite a pronounced knock, and taps at idling speed.
That only leaves piston slap, or big or little end end, or broken piston ring?

3) The car is now for sale. I've found a much better one, and I'm long past the enthusiast stage of relishing major engine overhauls. To add to the gloom someone came round a corner without looking and squashed the front of of the offside wing and pushed the lower panel in. I've straightened it out roughly and replaced the lights. I've a spare wing and panel in excellent condition, even in the right colour, to go with the car.

What's it worth? It's quite solid underneath, runs well apart from the knocking, has done 330,000 miles, MOT until March 2016, and has an LPG conversion.
£250?

I've listed it in the Sales section with a bit more detail