Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

wentworth amazon ?

Views : 896

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2006, 03:12   #1
131amazon

hi all i own a 940 wentworth estate automatic does any1 know how hard it is to take the 940 wentworth turbo engine and ecu ,etc and put it in my 68 volvo 131 amazon will this be a week job or a monthly job if not what is the best and simplest turbo engine to put into a amazon many thanks ashley
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 12:31   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

You will need to fit the sump and oil pump of the B20 on to the turbo engine. The easy answer on the gearbox is to use a bellhousing of a early 240. You will have to have a turbo manifold made and exhaust syetm to fit.

If are confident in your wiring you should be fine on that side of the job.

You will also have to consider where to put the intercooler. This conversion has been done by many ppl but details tend to be slightly dife=ferent on each conversion.

Take a look on the turbobricks site you should find pleanty of info there.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 11:00   #3
amaz'in

Hi 131,

My winter project is vaguely similar, I have a 1970 131 and hope to fit a spare B234f lump (16v) into it, cant decide at the moment if it's going to be harder to make the injection work or to convert it to twin webers...heart goes with the former at the moment.

Project will start in the next few weeks so will let you know what happens.

James
amaz'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 11:20   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Are going to fit the 16valve complete or mate it to a 8 valve block? If you are keeping the 16valve bottom end I asume you will be removing the balance shafts.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 03:42   #5
131amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Are going to fit the 16valve complete or mate it to a 8 valve block? If you are keeping the 16valve bottom end I asume you will be removing the balance shafts.
I AM GOING TO DO THE JOB THIS MONTH SOME TIME WISH ME LUCK! AND I WILL REMOVE ALL UNESSECERRY PARTS LIKE BALANCE SHAFTS , POWER SEERING AIR CON , MANY THANKS GUYS
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 20:38   #6
amaz'in

Hopefully fit the 16v as is....it's V6 like smoothness is one of the many features I love about this engine.

Now i know a few of you guy's are going to say..."ah but what about the (so called) uneven block casting thickness? but unless we are trying to get 400-500 bhp i really can't see it being a problem (fingers and legs crossed)

My daily driver is A 740 glt 16v estate rescued from an elderly gentlemans garden where it had stood for around 18 months, bought as a runner with a very high fuel consumption.

Ah-ha methinks....Air mass meter, so I bid the guy on the car, he accepted and I phoned my local breakers yard and got the part, popped back to the car the next day, paid the guy whilst my buddy fitted the part...and to the guy's asonishment started it and drove it away.

We instantly fitted a new cam belt and balance shaft belts, and shock horror despite the amazing smoothness of this engine, the two balance shafts were 2 teeth and 4 teeth out!

We fitted the correct WR 6 DC plugs (it had 7's) new dizzy cap and rotor changed all fluids and it really does purr like a kitten, last year I notched up 30.000 miles in dear old 'Ingrid'....and she retuns between 29- 32 mpg and she's an auto! that's fully loaded 24/7 too.

Orinally I was looking for a B230 ft/gt lump and we were literally driving around that day looking at some donor cars my friend knew of, at the time I knew nothing of the B234 (unlike now) and he had run one for two years a while back.

So..i decided to MOT her, (one sticky brake) and use her for one month to fully test the engine...i love it so much i sold my little C class Merc, and decided to find another 16v for the open heart surgery (picked her up from Southampton two day's ago).

Project car is a march 1970 131 I picked up off e.bay in the summer.

ok Doctor Frankenstein, lets go get the engine hoist and welding rods

James
amaz'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 21:04   #7
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

OK, enlighten me. Why would one want to remove the balance shafts? I presume it's not out of some perverse desire to create a rough engine; after all, we're not Harley riders here

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 21:42   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

2 reasons for removing them.

The balance shaft belt snapping is a common cause of a wrecked engine as it will also take out the cam belt.

Second reason is the balance shafts can also get in the way for mounting.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 23:46   #9
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

I see, cheers!

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote