Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reattach interior rear view mirror

Views : 659

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2017, 02:41   #1
1800 jensen

Default Reattach interior rear view mirror

Hi guys,

First time poster so hopefully I am in the right spot.

I have a '63 P1800 and while cruising on the weekend the glass in my interior rear view mirror decided that it was time to fall out (not helpful at all). I noticed that there is some kind of putty inside the mirror casement which was holding the mirror in place and was wondering whether this same type of putty can be found or whether I should just scrape it out and apply a glue. Appreciate any recommendations on best way to reattach the mirror and any glue (or putty) recommendations.

Thanks in advance for your help
1800 jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 09:35   #2
bayliss Thomas

Hi, maybe two or three double sided sticky pads.
bayliss Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 09:39   #3
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

18j;

At first I was wondering how the mirror could fall off, as it is bolted to the dashboard, then read post again and got that you mean just the glass separated from the rest of the bolted-on fixture...maybe because that putty which is securing it finally got baked out in your Aussie sun, that it couldn't hold any more...

I suppose worse things could happen, but having never had one separate before (I guess my Connecticut sun is just not at the intensity of yours), I can only conjecture that putty is similar to the putty used on other places on the car...like behind trim clips etc. In that case, I would clean it away from both surfaces (particularly carefully from the back of the mirror, as the mirror is likely made by plated-on metallic the rear surface of glass which will be easily damaged by aggressive scraping!)...perhaps cleaning it away gently and without mechanical means, such as dissolving any putty remains away with carb cleaner or paint remover which shouldn't attack the thin plated-on metal beneath... to reattach, I'd use a permanent glue like RTV silicone, which is compatible with just about any clean surface, and which will remain flexible...even in your intense sun.

This explanation and advise are free, but my (voluntary) price is a picture of your car with a kangaroo!

Cheers!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 20:57   #4
1800 jensen

Default Reattach interior rear view mirror

Hi 18j

Thanks so much for your advice and will definitely take care with the rear surface of the mirror. I was hoping that someone out there may still manufacture a similar putty (I guess things have moved on). Will heed your advise on getting the silicone.

Just to digress, yes we do have lots of sun down here so it is highly probable that it blasted the lens off. On the Kangaroo side of things and taking that photo , I'm always up for a challenge so I'll give it a burl (Aussie slang)

Cheers
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 22:14   #5
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800 jensen View Post
Hi 18j

Thanks so much for your advice and will definitely take care with the rear surface of the mirror. I was hoping that someone out there may still manufacture a similar putty (I guess things have moved on). Will heed your advise on getting the silicone.

Just to digress, yes we do have lots of sun down here so it is highly probable that it blasted the lens off. On the Kangaroo side of things and taking that photo , I'm always up for a challenge so I'll give it a burl (Aussie slang)

Cheers
There is a trade secret that dumb dumb can be replaced with plumbers mate

Kind regards
Robert.w

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2017, 03:34   #6
1800 jensen

Default reattach interior rear view mirror

Just thought I'd give an update on reattaching the mirror. l finally went and bought the putty (Sta Put Ultra Plumbers Putty) as this product did look similar to what was already there.

After driving over some of our fine roads (speed humps etc..), I am happy to say that the mirror did not fall off. Also, I have not noticed any staining from the putty.

So just a big thanks for this trade secret.