Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Extended Warranty

Views : 1370

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2023, 10:45   #1
James77

Default Extended Warranty

Just extended the warranty on the car at year 5 to year 6 with the official(?) extended cover provided by Motor Admin from the annual letter that drops though the door from Volvo Warranty Admin.
I think this is as close to Volvo extended cover as you can get.
In 5 years of ownership only fixes I've had were provided under original 3 year warranty and I wonder how they'd try to weasel out of an extended claim, hope never to have to test that.

For reference my year 3 cost was about £457, year 4 £607 and just renewed for £613 so not an insignificant amount of money I could have saved but it's the risk and ones attitude to risk with these complex cars.

Got me thinking who has extended in the same way as myself, who has used another route and who has just let it slip with a hope for the best attitude?
Old Dec 8th, 2023, 11:52   #2
techwatcher
Master Member

Personally I wouldn't run a car of this complexity without some form of warranty.

At the end of the day it is insurance (literally - extended warranties are insurance policies). We all hope not to need to claim on insurance but things can and do go wrong.

With complex cars things can get very expensive, very quickly; for example cost of a new LED headlight is c.£1200 (gulp!).

My car is just over 3 years old and we will replace it before its 4th birthday. In the meantime I have taken the Volvo Extended Warranty at a cost of c. £500.
Old Dec 8th, 2023, 12:08   #3
CanaryYellow

My car is nearly 3 years old. I'll be taking out the Volvo extended warranty for the next couple of years, not sure what I'll do beyond that, but good to see that options are available.

I plan to run the car for a long time, although maintenance costs will inevitably increase, my logic is that it should still be cheaper than buying a new car....

Touch wood....
CanaryYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2023, 12:20   #4
Lexman8
Premier Member

My warranty costs were/are:
  • year 4: £445 (Volvo)
  • years 5 & 6: £566 for 2 years (Warranty Direct)
  • year 7: £480 (Warranty Direct)
  • year 8 (now): £576 (Warranty Direct)
Total is £2,067 (average £413 p.a.) and I've never had to make a claim.
Old Dec 8th, 2023, 14:22   #5
EssexExile
Master Member

I suppose it depends on whether you could afford an expensive repair if it came along. Personally I'm taking the risk, my last Volvo lasted 10 years with no problems and I'm hoping this one does the same.
Old Dec 8th, 2023, 15:37   #6
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Exclamation

If I had any car with a hybrid, Mild hybrid, 48v system or full EV , I would put an officially sanctioned, manufacturer branded warranty on it.

The component costs (plus difficult diagnosis time and strip down / fitting) make £600 a year a bargain if you have to use it.

I've two recent experiences:-

Volvo - blower fan (fortunately not the £2500 air con compressor) - a days Labour + part
Audi - 48v system not fully charging. Could be a 48v battery, starter generator and 12v battery replacement, or at least 2 hours diagnosis and charging.

Put it on your credit card if you have to! If you don't make a claim, it's terrible value
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2023, 22:25   #7
NickRno77

I just renewed my Volvo (Car Care Plan)Warranty

2019 S60 T5

5th Year Warranty

Product: Volvo Renewal Warranty

Total Price: £513.00

Policy Start Date: 08/11/2023

Policy Duration: 12

Direct Debit Instalments: 10 payments of £51.30
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 11:38   #8
Bernieg4hwa

Default Volvo Warranties T8 Battery and car

Hi Guys
New to the group I have a 2017 XC60 T8, done 42000 miles and runs great , I would say best car I've ever owned. I really can't fault it ,comfort performance, really good . Only had one problem when I first got it leaking seal on the back axle and drive shaft needed replacing . All done under the third party dealers warranty .
That warranty runs out at the end of March , I know I can get an extended warranty for it for around £500 or so , which should cover all parts including the ERAD.
However the Hybrid battery warranty from Volvo runs out in a years time and I don't fancy the risk of them having to be replaced. I've no idea how reliable these Hybrid batteries are so any guidance would be appreciated.
Also is is possible to get an extended warranty for the hybrid batteries?
Thanks again
Bernie
Bernieg4hwa is offline   Reply With Quote