Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ignition won't turn past position 1

Views : 1008

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2019, 19:37   #1
Nearlyworks
Michael

Default Ignition won't turn past position 1

Hello I'm new to the forum, hoping this is in the right place..

I have a Japanese imported 2007 XC70 2.5T auto -old shape, facelift.

I've had the ignition problem as mentioned on previous threads:

https://volvoforums.com/forum/2001-2...-switch-65553/

The key wont go past pos 1- just happened when I got back in the car one day. The RAC came out to look and took off the cowls and unscrewed the electrical ignition from the barrel/steering lock so now can drive with key in pos 1 and using a screwdriver to turn the electrical part.

I phoned my local independent volvo garage who said the new part from volvo is £228, need VIN so they can order it. They called back saying volvo are asking if this is an imported car, and if so they can't do anything to help..

I'm hoping that this was due to them not having key details on their system rather than just being bloody minded!

So what to do next? Well, I am considering easing down the baseplate - the solution has worked for others. If it doesn't work what are my solutions? Having watched online videos, the next stage seems to be taking assembly off, drilling it out to get the key cylinder part out and then putting it into a new assembly (or asking a locksmith to do). Or some people mention using new key and replacement unit and taping one of the old keys close by, etc

Surely there must be a work around for getting a new barrel matched to my car. I mean, if the car is manufactured in Sweden, shouldn't the key details be on a central Volvo database somewhere?
Nearlyworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 23:56   #2
MMT5

This happened to me about five years ago and my advice to you is use some ptfe spray lube into the lock and keep putting the key in and out and wiggling gently.

It worked for me and is still fine.
MMT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MMT5 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 09:45   #3
Nearlyworks
Michael

Many thanks, I will try that
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 11:04   #4
Beardieman

Default Import

A Japanese import has nothing to do with this issue. The key and car need to be at a dealer to code them together etc, so may be true of the ignition lock. Other members may know a lot more than me on this. Trouble is, dealers have got us all by the nether regions because independents have to pay a ransom each month to have proper software access. Old diy guys like us are being squeezed off the road or buy new. Can we all afford that?
Beardieman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beardieman For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 13:44   #5
Nearlyworks
Michael

Thanks - I phoned the dealer direct who said for whatever reason they have nothing on my VIN so no key codes, radio codes etc so I couldn't get a new key, ignition etc. I'm going to double check the VIN to see if something has been logged wrong somewhere. Otherwise perhaps I've got a dodgy vehicle..
My worry is I only have one remote key, and I have a 2 year old son. Things often end up in the bin - so don't know what would happen if that got lost! In the meantime I'm using a screwdriver start and considering taking the ignition barrel off and to a locksmith if I can't bodge it. (might buy a second hand one to practice on..)
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 13:53   #6
Nearlyworks
Michael

The other issue is that it was bought from a car dealer (not the importer 2 months ago. It has a 3 month guarantee). I chose not to take it straight back as it's an hour's drive and 2 hours back on public transport and having to do that twice would cost me more in lost hours than biting the bullet and getting it done locally. However, now I'm reconsidering! Although I can imagine there will be some clause on the guarantee getting them out of it..
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 17:02   #7
TLPower

Take the little plate off the bottom and forget about it. My 2005 V70 did it over 4 years ago.
TLPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 17:44   #8
Nearlyworks
Michael

Thanks, I'm hoping to give that a try in situ. Did you use a dremel or just a chisel to loosen the plate?
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 18:39   #9
old onions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearlyworks View Post
The RAC came out to look and took off the cowls and unscrewed the electrical ignition from the barrel/steering lock so now can drive with key in pos 1 and using a screwdriver to turn the electrical part.

I phoned my local independent volvo garage who said the new part from volvo is £228, need VIN so they can order it. They called back saying volvo are asking if this is an imported car, and if so they can't do anything to help..
The very same incident happened to me last weekend. My local indy told me that the RAC/AA knew how to tackle the job and I should ring him back once I had the car mobile. I called the RAC , and the mechanic wouldn't touch it . He waggled the key with no result, said it was beyond him and offered to recover the car the local dealer!

After he left, with the help of contributors here I managed to get the ignition switch off the lock and start it using the screwdriver method. However no matter what I tried I just could not get the baseplate to drop (with my tool kit and skill level ) so I drove it to the same Volvo Indy (with some trepidation, as I didn't fancy doing a screwdriver start in London traffic )

He confirmed that they needed to email the VIN and Reg number to Sweden , who then release the details to the supplier in Germany and the new lock is delivered some 4 days later. It came with a single blade key (non-electronic) which is great for me as I can keep this for use when I am doing watersports, to open the car and retrieve the fob key which I will leave inside.

2006 V70 SE 2.4 Manual
old onions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 19:19   #10
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearlyworks View Post
Thanks, I'm hoping to give that a try in situ. Did you use a dremel or just a chisel to loosen the plate?

PM sent with another method .

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:

Tags
ignition, japanese import, steering lock