Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60R stage 1 remap!!

Views : 15643

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 4th, 2010, 18:45   #1
janner_sy

Default S60R stage 1 remap!!

hey up guys, a few questions for you.

Im in the market for a AWD saloon that can tune to 330Hp with only an exhaust, intake and remap. So far i have whittled it down to the Mazda 6MPS and the volvo S60R.

Previously i have had a Mk2 octavia vRS, and mk2 Focus ST, both remapped and setup with before and after runs n a dyno to confirm and show the performance increases, it also takes a fair while for them to set this up. This is also the same with the 6 MPS as well. so you can see if the maps are good, and if it is indeed safe for the car.

now ive been researching tuning options(or lack of) for the Volvo S60R. From what i see, the only options seem to be just a generic map that is loaded via the OBDII port. are there not any live mapping options from tuners with dyno's,

this is the only thing putting me off getting one at the moment. im having know luck finding guys in he UK that can genuinely remap the car, as a pose to the shed loads of "we remap your car at your door with our maps we bought off EBAY" tuners.

Also ive had no luck trying to find any dyno graphs of any standard and or stage 1 tuned cars?

what sort of power could i realistically see with a lone remap, and what would tat increase to with an exhaust, intake and stage 2 remap?

thanks in advance guys

Sy

Last edited by janner_sy; Sep 4th, 2010 at 19:09.
janner_sy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 20:09   #2
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Quote:
Originally Posted by janner_sy View Post
hey up guys, a few questions for you.

Im in the market for a AWD saloon that can tune to 330Hp with only an exhaust, intake and remap. So far i have whittled it down to the Mazda 6MPS and the volvo S60R.

Previously i have had a Mk2 octavia vRS, and mk2 Focus ST, both remapped and setup with before and after runs n a dyno to confirm and show the performance increases, it also takes a fair while for them to set this up. This is also the same with the 6 MPS as well. so you can see if the maps are good, and if it is indeed safe for the car.

now ive been researching tuning options(or lack of) for the Volvo S60R. From what i see, the only options seem to be just a generic map that is loaded via the OBDII port. are there not any live mapping options from tuners with dyno's,

this is the only thing putting me off getting one at the moment. im having know luck finding guys in he UK that can genuinely remap the car, as a pose to the shed loads of "we remap your car at your door with our maps we bought off EBAY" tuners.

Also ive had no luck trying to find any dyno graphs of any standard and or stage 1 tuned cars?

what sort of power could i realistically see with a lone remap, and what would tat increase to with an exhaust, intake and stage 2 remap?

thanks in advance guys

Sy
Might be worth heading over to T5D5 http://forums.t5d5.org/ and looking for info from the likes of DTP, GazT4R and Pyaap. They all run S60R's which have been breathed on and know the pitfalls of remapping the engines.

HTH

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 20:28   #3
janner_sy

cheers pal

is that a UK forum??
janner_sy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 20:36   #4
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Quote:
Originally Posted by janner_sy View Post
cheers pal

is that a UK forum??
Based in the UK but there are members from elsewhere in the world.

Wunderful thing this interweb doodad.

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 10:05   #5
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Copied from T5D5..The writer is Ashok aka pyaap

Tuning via OBD2 using correct kit is possible on the S60R but if live mapping is what you're after, then there is only one choice which is MTE. Personally speaking, tuning on a dyno is absolute madness - I've logged my cars when running on the road and on a dyno and they pull anywhere between 8-10 deg of ignition advance on a dyno because of the lack of proper cooling. If you drive your car on a dyno then map it on a dyno, if you drive it on the road, then map it on the road - its that simple IMO. You'll never get a tuner (bar MTE) wanting to do it on the road because firstly, everyone else lacks the full capability of working with the ECU in the car (for both data logging and recalibration) and most can't live map anywhere apart from their business premises (again MTE are the exception). In addition, tuners would very much like to charge you for dyno time which is WAY more expensive than doing it on the road in a controlled environment.

I will disagree with "Dunk" (I accept he's playing Devil's advocate) though in that my R has been through various states of tune from a stage 1 up and it IS very noticeable to get just a stage 1 / 2 map which takes the car up to around 320-330bhp and 480Nm - the improvement in torque is very noticeable and the car does not feel anywhere near as "asthmatic".

The intake system on these cars is good enough for around 450bhp so I'd leave that as is.

As for dyno figures, again, don't believe them as gospel, no matter what is said. Dyno Dynamic dynos are just as unreliable as all the rest and dyno figures only give you one side of the story - I for one can guarantee that some cars here with half the power will dance rings round a widely publicised 600bhp one on a circuit - its all about driveability and if you read the feedback on here, you'll find only one tuner really does it well on their off the shelf maps.

This is a recent graph from my car (further in the thread) but again, even with those figures it was pulling 8 degrees of ignition right at the top so on the road, the car will be putting out more than it recorded on the dyno:

http://forums.t5d5.o...9-s60r-t5-fmic/

If you want to see a graph for an off the shelf stage 2 remap (i.e. with sports exhaust), do a search for my graph from the Nov 2008 rolling road day.

If its the area under the curve(s) that you're interested in, I think you will have to agree that the results from my car are quite impressive. If you look up the print out of the dyno graph from my 256,000 mile T5 auto with a stage 1 tune on the Bletchley RR day thread, you will again see pretty much the same curve profile. MTE does give very good driveability with good, progressive boost control which does set them apart from their competition.

My cars get the very best treatment I can afford but when I demand performance from them, I expect them to deliver. I'm no longer interested in dyno pulls or one or two sprints to 7000rpm (9500rpm in my T4) because IMO they're no measure of a car's capability. As most on here will tell you, my yard-stick is how well a car can cope with a 30-40min non-stop session at demanding circuits like Silverstone and Castle Combe; reliability is key and I for one will never accept the myriad of excuses which I have heard tuners come up with when their tuned cars start rapidly losing performance after only a few laps of hard driving - it simply masks their lack of knowledge and ability to do proper calibration work.

If you do end up getting an R, before you do ANY tuning to it whatsoever, post back for advice because there are a number of things which you really should do before demanding more performance from the car, and these are relatively inexpensive.
strbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 15:16   #6
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Thanks Tony,

I can only reitterate the sentiments. I am always saying driveability is worth more than massive horsepower any day of the week out in the real world.
If the OP's not possessed by the notion of massive top speeds, then gearing (again as I'm always saying) plays a massive role in getting you down the road quicker than the next guy.

Too many people are obsessed with the idea of massive horsepower readouts from dynos, that often just don't translate into real world GO!!!
Trouble is, lots of people choose not to listen when you tell them a few simple facts in life, and it all ends in tears sooner or later.

Cheers,

T

Last edited by T240; Sep 5th, 2010 at 15:24.
T240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T240 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 13:06   #7
loopy

what about bsr
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 01:07   #8
glock19

I've seen MTE perform the tuning and the thing that keeps running in my mind is - how come he doesn't use a WB to measure his fueling ? Are the newer Volvos running WB that you can read off the car ?

I think his map is catered more to customer wants, for instance : removal of torque limiter, much higher boost, etc, eveything you name it whereas other tuners have reservations about sending you a very customised map to a car they have no first-hand knowledge off. In a nutshell, all these tuners know as much as each other but how far they go depends on the reprecussions involved.

FYI, I too can get very customised maps (thru emails) from RICA and they catered turbo change GT3071-R, bigger injectors, etc (for S60-T5) but again, how many people will excuse the tuner when things go wrong since the tuner is not present to look into every details of the car ?
glock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 19:53   #9
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock19 View Post
I've seen MTE perform the tuning and the thing that keeps running in my mind is - how come he doesn't use a WB to measure his fueling ? Are the newer Volvos running WB that you can read off the car ?

I think his map is catered more to customer wants, for instance : removal of torque limiter, much higher boost, etc, eveything you name it whereas other tuners have reservations about sending you a very customised map to a car they have no first-hand knowledge off. In a nutshell, all these tuners know as much as each other but how far they go depends on the reprecussions involved.

FYI, I too can get very customised maps (thru emails) from RICA and they catered turbo change GT3071-R, bigger injectors, etc (for S60-T5) but again, how many people will excuse the tuner when things go wrong since the tuner is not present to look into every details of the car ?

Thats very interesting....
RT Mechanics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 20:55   #10
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock19 View Post

In the UK MTE (Marco) does use a WB to measure the fueling
strbryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
croocks, rica, rica penang