Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

s40 2008 low beam bulb failure help please

Views : 5612

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2016, 12:35   #1
krispyKreme

Default s40 2008 low beam bulb failure help please

hi i got the message on dash " low beam bulb failure" while driving, i checked and can see the one on the right has gone.( this is the headlight yes ??)

i looked on eurocarparts but that has lots to choose from in prices between £1.31 for 1 and £94 for a pair of xenon ones !

as someone that doesnt do even minor things like bulb change on a car can i get some advice please? id prefer brighter bulbs than i currently have as in dark winter driving i find the volvo doesnt light up the road very well at all ( compared to some newer cars that seem incredibly bright at night even when not on full beam) so is it possible to fit xenon bulbs to a 2008 s40 ? or are their changes that need to be made to headlight area before they can be used ?

also if i go to say kwikfit to get them to do it what do you think theyll charge labour wise ? ( when i bought the car used the used car salesman had a garage next door come put new bulbs in and i remember it took him about 2mins to do if that ! ) cheers for any help
krispyKreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 14:01   #2
zapcity1

For a standard halogen H7 bulb, a straight replacement should be about £6-10.

Halfords will fit for £7 if you don't fancy it. Very easy to do though and worth learning as mine fail every few months! Lift bonnet, pull the pin behind the light, pull out the light unit, unclip cover, change bulb and refit. 2 min. job when you know what to do. Detailed in manual if you need help.

Quality halogen bulbs like Osram Nightbreakers, Philips X-treme Vision etc. will give more light and are a like for like swap. Only about £16-25/pair (easily available from www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk and many others).

I'd try this option first. Cheapish and easy and might give you the improvement you want. Halfords also have a range of brighter bulbs is you need a quick 'fix'. Kwikfit sell Ring bulbs and they also have a range of brighter bulbs.

As far as I understand, Xenon gas-filled bulbs are really just standard halogen bulbs that are usually coated with blue film to mimic the appearance of a genuine xenon HID bulb. These bulbs are not as bright as xenon HID bulbs nor do they last nearly as long. I've got these myself as they look good and are brighter than standard!!

You can upgrade your car's dipped headlights to xenon HID (high intensity discharge) lights but you will need new bulbs and a special ballast to accomplish this. Some great threads on this forum as to what is needed. Kits are not expensive but might not be something you would want to tackle yourself - try http://www.hids-direct.co.uk for more info. Not legal either without the headlight being E marked correctly.

Maybe somebody who has upgraded to HIDs can give you some more info. as to how easy/good the results are?

Last edited by zapcity1; Jul 12th, 2016 at 16:01.
zapcity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 14:53   #3
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapcity1 View Post
Maybe somebody who has upgraded to HIDs can give you some more info. as to how easy/good the results are?
Please see below, so you know roughly what you can get.
left side - H7, dirty lenses, badly alligned.
right side - 35W HID kit, 4300k, clean lenses and focused.

Really worth it, just use your head when doing so - dont go over 6000K, dont put 55W, make sure you have light focused and lower them 1 notch before you are sure you are not blinding anyone. Like with guns - make sure you know what you are doing before you use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hid.jpg (30.3 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by LizardOfBodom; Jul 12th, 2016 at 15:06.
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 15:44   #4
zapcity1

Great info. Might think about an HID conversion.

Last edited by zapcity1; Jul 12th, 2016 at 16:02.
zapcity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 15:50   #5
StatusRed
Premier Member

Changing the bulbs on these cars really is a doddle with no tools required whatsoever!

You open up the bonnet and there is a large metal "pin" holding each headlight unit in place, you take that out, disconnect the electrical connector (it just clicks on) and you can pull the entire headlight unit out and open the main plastic cover which is held on with two swing clips (it will be very obvious) and disconnect the old bulb and put in the new one (you can't put it in wrong as it only goes in one way).

These are the bulbs that I'm currently using they've been on for 4 months now with no issues and are brighter than the original bulbs.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 16:01   #6
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Great info. Think I will have to add HID conversion to my shopping list!
if you decide to go HID route, PLEASE do your homework - read posts related to HIDs and lamps cleaning that are on this forum. There is really all you need to know there, it helped me a lot as well, as I am V50 newbie myself.
Please be aware that HIDs require a little more effort than simply putting new bulb in and can also do unexpected damage (HID and wiper motor post, few lines below).
Good luck with it!
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 16:04   #7
zapcity1

I use the same bulbs as StatusRed's link. Good performance and good price.
The Following User Says Thank You to zapcity1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 16:17   #8
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
I use the same bulbs as StatusRed's link. Good performance and good price.
Emm guys, I'm sorry, not trying to argue with anybody but you do realise those "xenon" bulbs are just for looks? You will get much more lumen output from proper (good) bulb like Osram Nightbreaker Ultra or Philips Extreme that are not using fake coloring technique to artificially change Kelvin factor.
Im sure they are brighter and look better than OEM bulb but trust me - they do throw LESS lumens on road than NBs or Phillps.
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 16:27   #9
krispyKreme

thanks very much for taking time to reply, i think im going to do what you say..get quality halogen bulbs eg osram and fit them myself, ill even attempt to video myself doing this to show others what to do ( or what not to do lol )

thanks everyone else that replied i read all posts, it seems fitting xenon has more to it so ill go for a straight swap, for your info i bought car used in november 2014 so bulbs have lasted until july 2016, when i take them out if they have a brand on them ill let you know as that doesnt seem too bad..how long they lasted.

cheers
ps sjcam sj4000 action cameras are great as dashcams

Quote:
For a standard halogen H7 bulb, a straight replacement should be about £6-10.

Halfords will fit for £7 if you don't fancy it. Very easy to do though and worth learning as mine fail every few months! Lift bonnet, pull the pin behind the light, pull out the light unit, unclip cover, change bulb and refit. 2 min. job when you know what to do. Detailed in manual if you need help.

Quality halogen bulbs like Osram Nightbreakers, Philips X-treme Vision etc. will give more light and are a like for like swap. Only about £16-25/pair (easily available from www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk and many others).

I'd try this option first. Cheapish and easy and might give you the improvement you want. Halfords also have a range of brighter bulbs is you need a quick 'fix'. Kwikfit sell Ring bulbs and they also have a range of brighter bulbs.

As far as I understand, Xenon gas-filled bulbs are really just standard halogen bulbs that are usually coated with blue film to mimic the appearance of a genuine xenon HID bulb. These bulbs are not as bright as xenon HID bulbs nor do they last nearly as long. I've got these myself as they look good and are brighter than standard!!

You can upgrade your car's dipped headlights to xenon HID (high intensity discharge) lights but you will need new bulbs and a special ballast to accomplish this. Some great threads on this forum as to what is needed. Kits are not expensive but might not be something you would want to tackle yourself - try http://www.hids-direct.co.uk for more info. Not legal either without the headlight being E marked correctly.

krispyKreme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krispyKreme For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 18:08   #10
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Emm guys, I'm sorry, not trying to argue with anybody but you do realise those "xenon" bulbs are just for looks? You will get much more lumen output from proper (good) bulb like Osram Nightbreaker Ultra or Philips Extreme that are not using fake coloring technique to artificially change Kelvin factor.
Im sure they are brighter and look better than OEM bulb but trust me - they do throw LESS lumens on road than NBs or Phillps.
Yes I'm fully aware they're just for looks. They give the headlight colour I want, are better than the original bulbs, nowhere near as costly as other bulbs or a HID conversion, are legal and suit my needs perfectly!

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post:

Tags
bulb, headlight, light, low beam, s40