Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Look what I bought!

Views : 15299

Replies : 141

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2011, 20:51   #101
minesa240x3
loyalty

Hi Paul glad to hear your still enjoying the car!Mine to gets a bit grubby but then again as far as my daughter is concerned it is a "car".

I jokingly said "no eating today as I have friends to pick up tonite"I might as well have talked to the wheels as she still carried on but being careful.I had to go and buy some car air fresheners to get rid of the smell of barbecue chicken.

The monday morning was nice as each one came up to me and thanked me again for taking the trouble.

As for beaches and kids?I refuse to drive my cars on the beach unless it's very dry and not windy.On holiday it always gets covered in sand mud and food stuff,Oh and dog hairs but we use and enjoy our cars so theres nothing that can't be put right with a good clean and hoover out.

On a more somber note I heard tonite that a friend and workmate who retired some time ago had passed away last nite.His name was Dennis Herbert.

Very sad news as he was one amazing bloke.He used to drive our mobile crane.Well one day we decided to wind him up a bit!I got out of the van after dinner and walked over to his crane.I could see him clearly watching me.I climbed up into the lower cab and started it up.The old cranes had to be fired up from the driving cab first and then switched off to then start the top cab.All the time he was slouched down in his van watching me.My mate came over and started to banks me to the concrete structure we had to lift.I revved it up and soon found which lever did what!

All this time he kept his eye on me.After succesfully lowering the concrete into place I switched the crane off and stepped out.
Well he came charging over shouting and hollering"Well if you want to drive it get on with it I don't care"You think your good enough then you don't need me you clever *"//er.

Then after the outburst as he was accustomed to doing he said" ok well you did ok so get in and I'll show you how to balance the controls to be more fluent"

I spent the rest of the day moving and placing all the remaining blocks.

So yes I can operate a crane thanks to my old mate dennis.

As he was known and loved by so many I have a feeling a lot of my work coleuges will be attending the funeral!This will probably mean me driving a lot of them to the funeral.I definately will not accept any money this time as it will be my way of paying my respect to him.

Better try and get the headlining sorted quick.

Thanks Brian.
PS I know I ramble on but hey thats just me I suppose?

3579 views.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 21:49   #102
chris&julie

hi just caught up on this thread nice progress on the car i think you can get away with throwing every possable accessorie at this one, mabey something more sweedish for the bonnet emblem (prancing moose) keep up the good work
chris&julie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chris&julie For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 22:09   #103
minesa240x3
loyalty

Hi thanks for reading it.I do ramble on somewhat.I like to think if anyones unable to sleep then if they just read my posts then they'll soon drift off.

Yes lots of accessories(hopefully)and the bonnet emblem is swedish Lol,It's from a PV445 A stylised swallow.I have been thinking about the emblem just lately and if I can get something that complies ie detachable or sprung mounted then I may change it.
Until that time I can live with the swallow.

My sister in law has been hinting about using it for her wedding.I have tried to talk her out of it but as money is tight then I may have to help out.It has had white ribbons on before as the "Gaffa" tape is still visible on the front door pillars.I need something to tie onto at the front so maybe?watch this space.
Regards Brian.

3610 views.
Old May 4th, 2011, 00:17   #104
minesa240x3
loyalty

Hi folks not much to report but thought I better write something.Just in case anyone needs some help sleeping tonight,,,,
Well all is well with the old gal,Shes running really well and no horribles to speak of.I've just been enjoying driving it it's as simple as that really.

Had a few comments,,nice ones I might add,Apart from one joker who shouted across"Nice car mate have you had it long or has it always been that long"?
I think there may be a funny line that actually works there somewhere but he was smiling.

It did get a rest the last bank holiday weekend as I took the go faster 740 down to bournemouth.Yes it's a go faster as I enjoy putting the pedal down with this one.Five speed manual and 2.3L I just love it.
I was hoping to drive the 240SE this last weekend but somehow it didn't happen.It must be getting a bit fed up as I haven't driven it for quite a while.Poor old thing!

Anyway I did take a few piccies of the Limo last weekend.We went out to a boot sale on the monday as there wasn't much else to do.Now bearing in mind I had spent most of the sunday afternoon polishing it I wasn't best pleased when I saw the big clouds of brown dust leading into the field carpark.AH well to late now so in I go carefully negotiating the narrow gate with a sharp left bend.No trouble then I have to find a suitable place to park it up.Not in the line of the falling dust but right over in the far corner.The walk is good for you apparently?

After walking around said car boot and buying nothing much apart from a chrome wing mirror for a quid.The old school sort that fixes to the roof gutter using two small pinch screws.Don't know why I got it really as I don't intend bolting it to any of mine but it sure is puirty.

Some guy was selling loads of bottles of auto fluid for volvo's genuine stuff as well in genuine volvo marked bottles.But they were the little bottles and he wanted a fiver each for them.I use 5 Litre cans from COMMA.about £18.00 last time I bought some.

I headed back to the car which by now was looking lonely as most had gone home.Then I spotted a photo oppertunity.Lovely old trees grass and a clean car.Well by now it wasn't very clean!in fact it was looking very brown all over.Still not to worry it can't be spotless all the time.

So here are a few piccies complete with dust.It's harder than you think taking landscape piccies as you only notice things in the background after taking them and the sun can be a real pain with chrome reflecting into the lens and shadows cutting across the pictures.

I even tried the little box's at the top of my photo browser which changes the picture to sepia and black and white and it really changes the look.
I also hoovered out the whole car for the first time too.That took flipping ages but came up really good.No piccies of that yet.
Regards Brian.

.3821 views.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0389res.jpg (347.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0390res.jpg (372.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0391res.jpg (322.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0393res.jpg (396.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0395res.jpg (395.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0396res.jpg (395.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0398res.jpg (397.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0401res.jpg (341.3 KB, 22 views)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:14   #105
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Hearse/estate

Has anyone ever turned a hearse into an estate? That would be really fun - 5 seats and a 6 foot loading length behind the rear seat. It would need about 300bhp to move, but that is not too impossible with a turbo twin-cam...
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rogerthechorister For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2011, 12:18   #106
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthechorister View Post
Has anyone ever turned a hearse into an estate? That would be really fun - 5 seats and a 6 foot loading length behind the rear seat. It would need about 300bhp to move, but that is not too impossible with a turbo twin-cam...
Don't say things like that, if Mike Brace see's it, he'll end up with another project on the go lol
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2011, 14:23   #107
940_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthechorister View Post
Volvo themselves effectively did with the Transfer, stretched 245 Airport taxi. Quite a few were built as hearses and the like.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2011, 17:27   #108
wooble
Stay gold baby!

I recently visited a chap who ran a limo business to pick up an ebay purchase, while I was there I discovered that he had very close ties with Volvo HQ, to the point that his company were the importers for most of the S90 Royal and Executives, as well as many of the 940/960 limos, hearses and ambulances. while I was there, there were three S90 Royals and a 960 ambo in the back of his garage, among countless other volvo paraphernalia. Among their collection of past cars, he showed me a picture of a six-door stretched 940 estate they had specially built at the Volvo factory. He told me it was one of only 2 ever made, and he'd sold it to a chap in Wales a few years ago. I've got a picture from an old brochure he gave me if anybody's interested.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wooble For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2011, 19:27   #109
minesa240x3
loyalty

Hi Wooble! Now am I interested?Let me think for a bit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,YES I DO want a look at the rare estate.
Put it on here if you want!As I'm always saying I love piccies the more the better.

I took the roof lining out of the old stripped out 940 estate tonite.I'm going to see if it can be salvaged to help cover the limo roof lining.Well some of it.It's in reasonable condition but obviousley not long enough.The mould in the limo roof lining starts at the back window and creeps forward towards the middle seats after that it just has the odd spot.All caused by the leaking rear window which I have temporarily fixed with wide tape on the outside.
I think I mentioned before that I was trying to find some nice material to cover the lot.No small job.
I was going to try and hold it up with flat rods like you get in the 240 roof linings,there are seams on the roof side and the rod slides through and clips onto the sides but with an upward curve to keep it tensioned.
So not solid, baggy but tight!

Also took the door grab handles off the 9 and will be putting them on the vacant holes on the limo.It only had two at the very rear and one on the front passenger side.So three more will finish it off.

Regards Brian.
Piccies please wooble.
Old May 4th, 2011, 19:43   #110
OldBlueVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesa240x3 View Post
I think I mentioned before that I was trying to find some nice material to cover the lot.No small job.
I came across this website selling headlining material on my internet travels but I haven't bought from them.
http://www.as-trim.co.uk/
I did buy 6 metres of headlining material for my 740 a couple of years ago. That's enough material to mess up the first attempt and get it right the second time! Unfortunately, as I bought it mail-order I bought a very dark beige by mistake instead of the cream. I still haven't decided whether I'll use the material or buy some more in the correct colour.

Yes please post a photo wooble.
OldBlueVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldBlueVolvo For This Useful Post: