Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S90 FWD Traction in Ice/Snow

Views : 5845

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2020, 16:55   #41
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyfox View Post
All the 4X4 tech in the world is no good to you, unless you have the right rubber for winter conditions
And remembering the laws of physics. A spinning wheel has less grip than a stationary one. Low engine revs, second or even third gear (manual box required) gentle on the clutch to stop wheelspin, and you can get up gentle slopes with any good tyre.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wizzpop For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 18:57   #42
Davebbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsix View Post
Shouldn't have to look back, not many will be following you anyway unless they're on winters too
Haha true! I'm not as fussed about the getting going, though it is nice! But stopping and going round corners safely interests me more. I still employ proper snow driving techniques, as winter tyres help massively but they're still limited by physics. I see people with winter tyres fall into the same trap 4x4 drivers do, they assume they're invincible. Once you're unstuck, you're going to have a job getting it back... you'll just get it back a bit sooner on winters.
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 03:11   #43
Bashy
Aged Member

I always put winter (S&M) on the front at the very least, they make the world of difference, and will pass many a gridlock due to summer tyre drivers. I wouldnt go for All season though, they must be Winter (S&M) tyres.

I also carry a set of snow chains too but not needed them since that bad snow in 2010 i think it was...

PSi dont recommend using all year round cause the compound is not suited to anything but cold, snow or mud grip. At the very least, make sure to get rain grip C anything higher and even dry traction will be pants, on my last 1.9 DCI Laguna, i had Pirelli Winters on, anything other than snow, grip was pants, setting off from a standstill at a roundabout in the summer (bone dry) it would still spin some, rain pants, snow and mud, excellent lol, i just modified my driving to suit.
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 12:14   #44
Davebbass

I'd sooner have no winter tyres at all than only on the front. Even on a front drive car, there's plenty of research (along with basic physics) to show that having poor grip on the rear of a front drive car and still be pretty catastrophic. All well and good being able to go, but stopping can become tetchy and steering gives you a very tail happy car. Problem is, those getting CrossClimates are happy with them just on the drive wheels until it's too late.

I know a guy who's got winter tyres just on the back of his rear drive car... can't wait to see what in the snow. It'll go, but won't stop or steer!

I'm in the same camp that it must be M/S tyres though, 4 seasons don't appeal to me in the slightest. Cost wise, it's a tiny difference anyway so as long as I'm willing to store tyres, I'm happy with having two sets.
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 13:02   #45
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebbass View Post
I'd sooner have no winter tyres at all than only on the front. Even on a front drive car, there's plenty of research (along with basic physics) to show that having poor grip on the rear of a front drive car and still be pretty catastrophic. All well and good being able to go, but stopping can become tetchy and steering gives you a very tail happy car. Problem is, those getting CrossClimates are happy with them just on the drive wheels until it's too late.

I know a guy who's got winter tyres just on the back of his rear drive car... can't wait to see what in the snow. It'll go, but won't stop or steer!

I'm in the same camp that it must be M/S tyres though, 4 seasons don't appeal to me in the slightest. Cost wise, it's a tiny difference anyway so as long as I'm willing to store tyres, I'm happy with having two sets.
work fine for me, its down to how you drive, stupid mistakes like hard cornering etc then yeah, youre gonna have issues, if youre steady eddie, then you have no issues, if you have summer on and i have winter just on the fronts, i know whos getting home and who aint

as for just on the rear, thats plain crazy talk
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 13:37   #46
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Winters on just the fronts sounds like an accident waiting to happen as the back steps out.

Wonder what your insurance company would make of that.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 14:04   #47
kdst5

Suggest everyone has a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKtnczk8Mxk if they have not already. But in summary it seems a all season tyre is a good compromise for those of us in the south of England who may get snow a few days of a year and in winter where the temperature fluctuate wildly. As you go further north where it is generally colder and more likely to snow then there is an argument for fitting winter tyres in winter.
kdst5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 16:45   #48
Davebbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
work fine for me, its down to how you drive, stupid mistakes like hard cornering etc then yeah, youre gonna have issues, if youre steady eddie, then you have no issues, if you have summer on and i have winter just on the fronts, i know whos getting home and who aint
Until someone cuts you up and you have to brake hard, goodbye back end.

I'd rather get home on foot than potentially total the car... I have proper winters all round without fail anyway.
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 02:11   #49
Bashy
Aged Member

Ok, look at it this way, do you fit chains to all 4 wheels on a FWD car or? and back to you guys......
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 09:17   #50
Ringthane
VOC Member

Ah, winter tyre thread. How I’ve missed you.

Don’t kick it all off, before I’ve come back with the popcorn.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ringthane For This Useful Post: