Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlight query - new owner

Views : 845

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2020, 16:51   #1
Simeon90

Default Headlight query - new owner

Hi all, picked up a lovely '05 XC90 [2.4 auto] a couple of weeks ago and enjoying it apart from the extremely sluggish acceleration from standing [can live with that] and the headlights - more precisely the switch. Hoping a more experienced owner can advise

It's the model with 3 position switch - '0', Sidelights and Dipped headlights

The previous owner told me he had the running lights switched off by his dealer as he managed to drain the battery once or something, not sure, didn't take too much notice really as I'm perfectly happy not having daytime running lights. Either way, engine running, switch in '0' position = no lights at all. Turn the switch = sidelights then headlights (like you would expect).

The issue I have is that there are seemingly no lights on the dash to indicate the lights are on (except for the full beam when that is switched on) and no 'lights left on' buzzer if you switch off and open the door.

My question really is .. is that correct? And if so it's flipping annoying as it's only a matter of time before my wife or I drain the battery by leaving the lights on

Thank you in advance for any guidance
Simeon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 17:36   #2
john langrick
Master Member

His, my understanding is that with light switch off, a Volvo will have daytime running lights on and instrument clusters. With switch in position 1, just sidelights, no headlights, no instrument cluster and stay on when ignition off. Therefore parking lights. I am amazed at how many motorists drive with just parking lights on at dusk. Do they think they are saving power?

My previous V70 was ex met police and had daytime running lights switched off. Not an issue other than when starting the car at twilight, the dash and control lights are on but not the side and headlights. I would often mistakenly start driving at twilight with no lights at all. All lights turn off when ignition off. But if sidelights on, i.e., position 1, they stay on as parking lights.

I cannot see how the battery can have been drained unless parking lights left on (position 1, and disabling the daytime running lights will not help this.

I now have a bog standard XC90 se. Daytime running lights normal as you would expect from a Volvo.. Certainly if I leave lights in position 1, sidelights would remain on and in time flatten the battery.

I always leave my lights in.position 2. No issue. Note when main beam on, there is a blue light (in centre of dash if I remember). However if you flash them at another motorist, you must operate twice otherwise you are driving with main beam!

If you leave the the light switch off, there is little difference other than all is the same as if in position 2, but main beam will not stay on, the stalk just flashes the main beam but never latches on.

Unless you have light switch on 1 (parking lights). They should all switch off with the ignition wether switched off or position 2. At least that's how mine work.

Hope this makes sense!

But beware an XC90 must have a healthy battery and alternator. If either is failing your XC90 can develop all sorts of problems, spurious and unrelated trouble codes. I understand that using the Volvo diagnostics tool VIDA you can monitor the performance of the battery, something I am yet to try out.

Also note that I believe you have to drive at least 10 mins to put back the power used to start the car. Hencel if you drive a lot of very short journeys, starting and stopping you stand a chance of eventually running the battery down.

John l

Last edited by john langrick; Feb 28th, 2020 at 17:41.
john langrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 02:33   #3
Goldmember
Master Member

Hi and welcome.
I’m not good at writing a lot but a couple of things.
Not being daft but there is a wheel-like dial to the right of the switch that adjusts the brightness of the dash when you have the lights on , make sure it’s all the way up ( I think! )
If that doesn’t work it’s maybe possible the bulbs have gone lighting the dash? Also please try it at night to make sure cos mine ( a 57 plate ) seems to sense daylight and only lights up the dash when it’s getting dark.
Also I wouldn’t worry about leaving the lights on draining the battery, the only way you could do that is if you have the side lights on ( Position 1 ) and surely you would notice them , front side lights and rear red brake lights) being on when you leave/lock the car?
As has been said above just leave them in Position 2 for certain at the moment as they will switch off when you turn off the ignition and definitely come on when you start up next time.
Hope that is of some help .. I’m not very technical

Steve
MegaBob - ‘04 XC90 D5 Spanish! ShedBob - ‘01 Moondust T5 V70, FilthyBob - '04 Silver 2.4 D5 SE V70, Rydell - '99 Silver R AWD V70, SagaBob - '98 Ruby Red 2.5T V70
Goldmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 09:21   #4
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simeon90 View Post
Hi all, picked up a lovely '05 XC90 [2.4 auto] a couple of weeks ago and enjoying it apart from the extremely sluggish acceleration from standing

Thank you in advance for any guidance

That needs looking at as it is not normal.

The XC90 is a heavy car but even with the 163 bhp D5 engine it should not be sluggish.

Something is wrong with it. See if you can find someone to read the codes on it for you.👍

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 09:32   #5
CondorXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
That needs looking at as it is not normal.

The XC90 is a heavy car but even with the 163 bhp D5 engine it should not be sluggish.

Something is wrong with it. See if you can find someone to read the codes on it for you.👍
Agree - they are definitely not sluggish. Not sports performance acceleration mind you, if that's your comparison! But quick off the mark.
I noticed mine was a bit slow to accelerate shortly after purchase - intercooler was leaking, replaced under warranty from the dealer who sold it to me, no quibble. And much quicker off the mark now, albeit a 185.

XC90 2008 Sport SE Geartronic, sunroof, privacy, heated seats, phone/RTI, Nav, HP Sound,
CondorXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CondorXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 09:42   #6
05XC90

I've an 05 as well, as said
0 = lights will come on when you start the car and off when you switch off ignition (full beam won't stay on). Mine
1 = sidelights but these will stay on when you turn the ignition off
2 = lights on and full beam will operate if required. I'm almost sure that the lights go off when ignition switched off though.

Mine doesn't have a buzzer either, I've left the sidelights on a few times and forgotten (thankfully never long enough to drain the battery).

I'm used to driving hot hatches etc and the D5 doesn't compare but there's power there when you sink your foot once you get used to how to drive it. Have you tried selecting the gears yourself to see if that makes any difference?
05XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 10:55   #7
Simeon90

Thank you all for the replys

84k miles, full dealer history with new alternator and health check in January so I'm fairly confident it's in good health.

Re the sluggishness, this feels more gearbox related than engine; mostly pulling out at roundabouts, it seems to 'think' for a second longer than I'd like. However, as said in replys, this is my first auto car and used to driving things a bit more sprightly (and lighter!)

Been out to check lights this morning and the below is right, except I have no running lights when switch is at '0'. I think I was confused as for some reason I thought the lights stayed on with key out when the switch is turned to position 2 (full lights).

Is there a list on here of people with Vida that would be happy to do a scan and turn on my running lights? I'm from VW Audi forum world and we have this for VCDS used on those cars

Once again, thanks for the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05XC90 View Post
I've an 05 as well, as said
0 = lights will come on when you start the car and off when you switch off ignition (full beam won't stay on). Mine
1 = sidelights but these will stay on when you turn the ignition off
2 = lights on and full beam will operate if required. I'm almost sure that the lights go off when ignition switched off though.

Mine doesn't have a buzzer either, I've left the sidelights on a few times and forgotten (thankfully never long enough to drain the battery).

I'm used to driving hot hatches etc and the D5 doesn't compare but there's power there when you sink your foot once you get used to how to drive it. Have you tried selecting the gears yourself to see if that makes any difference?
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 11:40   #8
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:

84k miles, full dealer history with new alternator and health check in January so I'm fairly confident it's in good health.

Re the sluggishness, this feels more gearbox related than engine; mostly pulling out at roundabouts, it seems to 'think' for a second longer than I'd like. However, as said in replys, this is my first auto car and used to driving things a bit more sprightly (and lighter!)

Once again, thanks for the help

Ok, that makes sense.

That phenomenon was reported extensively a good few years ago and it seems that certain cars were troubled by it and others not.

I'll try to find a link to it.👍

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/archi...p/t-63947.html

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Feb 29th, 2020 at 11:53.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 12:32   #9
Simeon90

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Ok, that makes sense.

That phenomenon was reported extensively a good few years ago and it seems that certain cars were troubled by it and others not.

I'll try to find a link to it.👍

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/archi...p/t-63947.html
Yep, that describes it... lucky me :
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 12:32   #10
05XC90

Quote:

Try selecting the gears for yourself at times like this, although it may be a case of getting accustomed to it. I totally get what you mean, we'd a c220cdi auto before this so I was used to an auto box but it took me a while to get used to exactly what you're saying. 84k is super low for one of these, sounds like you've got a good one.
I've always been a VAG man myself (still have 3) but needed a 7seater and refuse to drive a people carrier so the XC90 was the only option of a quality 7seater, cracking cars!
05XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote