Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 D5 Rear Diff Noise

Views : 11453

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2014, 11:44   #1
Geordieboy5

Default XC90 D5 Rear Diff Noise

Hi everyone

Noise from my Rear Differential is getting worse. My mechanic says that there is oil coming from the drivers side half shaft. He is going to get it on the ramps to take a look. The noise is a deep drumming noise not unlike a wheel bearing, but the oil from the half shaft frightens me!!!!

Any thoughts on what this could be and potential horrific costs?

Car is a D5 Auto 56 Plate with Full Volvo History.

Many Thanks

Last edited by Geordieboy5; Feb 5th, 2014 at 11:49. Reason: Addition of info
Geordieboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 16:59   #2
xc90fubar

Don't know but defo get it fixed soonest.

I didn't identify the problem with mine in time (long story) - and then the rear diff blew on the motorway in spectacular style, literally split the rear diff casing like an apple. Took out the haldex and propshaft with it.

Cost to repair quoted as many many ££££££.

Hence the reason my old bus is now 2 wheel drive..!

Fubar
xc90fubar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xc90fubar For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 07:09   #3
Geordieboy5

Default Replacing Bearings and Oil in the Rear Differential

It appears that there is oil leaking from the drivers side Halfshaft bearing, with possibly some from the propshaft bearing as well. It has been getting noisier for a little while now, but it sounded like wheel bearings. It is up on the ramps today for a look.

Question: Can the bearings + seals for the Halfshaft and Propshaft be replaced and the Diff flushed and refilled with oil?

Cheers
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 14:47   #4
Geordieboy5

Default No Oil in the Diff

So it seems like there is no Oil left in the Diff, hence the noise.

Question is, can a new seal be fitted to the Diff and then top it up with Oil?

I am getting some awful quotes on a new Diff!
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 15:36   #5
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordieboy5 View Post
So it seems like there is no Oil left in the Diff, hence the noise.

Question is, can a new seal be fitted to the Diff and then top it up with Oil?

I am getting some awful quotes on a new Diff!
If it has no oil and is making strange noises looks as if it is a bit late to fit new seal and add oil, suggest you look for a breaker who has a replacement axle.
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GJB For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 20:19   #6
A lex
Premier Member

If theres no oil left in the diff, its buggered.

I wouldnt even attempt a refill, it might last a while / it might not - but it will fail again.

Options:

1 - Take out a new mortgage and visit the dealer

2 - Whore yourself on the weekends and visit a breaker

3 - Take all the gubbins out and run it 2WD.

A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A lex For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 22:33   #7
rogerb
Lets take it to bits

My one made a deep drumming sound , new rear dif unit , thankfully under warranty.
According to dealer common around 2007 2008 cars.
Roger
rogerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 08:16   #8
Geordieboy5

Thumbs up Diff Topped up!

Well my XC90 is back from the Garage.

It turns out that the drain of oil has been incredibly slow over the last 2 years. My Mechanic topped it up and it appears to be holding the oil (but he'll check again after 500 miles). Hopefully the diff is okay!!! The noise, was a collapsed wheel bearing and also the offside was badly worn. The Hum Drum was unbelievable, but now the car is quiet and smooth again. She's like a new car to be honest. Even the interior trim has stopped squeaking for the time being.

Bearings were £160 each and with all the other work including a service it came to £500. I wasn't disappointed in that. Now to get the Summer tyres back on and get the 4 wheel alignment done. Seems like only VOLVO can do it where it lasts!

Thanks again for your help everyone!
The Following User Says Thank You to Geordieboy5 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2016, 14:05   #9
RichHodge

Default may help

Just wanted to help all the people who have had issues with the transmission or weird vibration noises from under the car. I have an XC90 2010. I bought it 6 months ago from a dealer and took out an extended 3 year warranty ( thank god). The car had very low mileage 35,000. Been driven by an old chap to the shops and back.

Anyway about 4 months ago I noticed a weird noise when I got to 5th Gear at 2200 revs. It sounded like a weird vibration noise almost like an exhaust sound/ grating noise. Almost like the noise when you have a hole in your exhaust. My first thought was the catalytic converter going. I took it into the dealer and they said it was an engine mounting and same thing again. At same time the AWD light came up saying not working. It went back in and as the car had been sitting for a few year not doing anything the filters in the Haldex Pump had clogged up.

Finally to car in last week and they had it for a week and have diagnosed the problem as being the drive shaft dampers worn out causing the drive shaft to oscillate at certain revs or between gears. They have just fitted a new drive shaft and dampers kit and it seems to be fixed. Total cost for new prop/ drive shaft plus labour about £600. Warranty covered the lot and now the car seems really responsive. Hopefully that will be the end of it. Hope that helps

Richard
RichHodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 05:52   #10
Petelaws88

Unhappy XC90 5D 2010 Rear Differential

Hi, I've had a noise which I'm told is the rear diff. (XC90 5D) At 80+kph when engine breaking (decelerating) from 2000 to 1500rpm there's a loud whirring noise. This disappears when I accelerate or if I use any throttle or move outside of the rpm range. I'm told the cost is 14,000 dollars to fix. I'm gutted obviously but can't understand how a car of this quality has such a problem at 125,000km. I've always had the car serviced with a Volvo dealer and bought new in the uk. Now live in NZ and mainly use for trips to school with the odd road trip. Do I just suck it up or is there anything I can do?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Pete
Petelaws88 is offline   Reply With Quote