Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Update on overheating issues

Views : 1147

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2020, 19:23   #11
c1800
Master Member

Best to replace the pump with a cast metal impeller, not the stamped sheet metal impeller. The cast impeller is known to provide better circulation at idle and is the OEM type.

Another thing I did when flushing was take the drain tap fully out of the block, the one rearward of the oil filter and blow compressed air in there. You might be surprised as to how much crud it loosens up. Flushed several times with garden hose on thermostat opening and reverse flow with garden hose (with a spray nozzle on the hose) in the drain tap hole. More crud.

Good luck.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 11:57   #12
niveketak
66 Amazon

OK having taken Derek's advice I jacked the front of the car up high and ran it with the heater valve open. The car got nice and hot so I tried the heater, cold. I let it cool down but noted the two heater hoses were not warm. Removing them reveled no water in the hoses but some in the metal heater radiator pipes. I thought I would be clever and fill up the two hoses but this just caused the water to go down the overflow pipe. I am thinking the heater radiator may be blocked so will try and flush that out before I go any further. Could someone kindly take a picture of the hose layout to the heater for me, they went back as they came off when I changed the head but there is no guarantee they were on right in the first place as the previous French owner was a bit of a bodger when it came to mechanicals I discovered.
niveketak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 13:23   #13
old fart
Master Member

I'm assuming these are correct, as the heater works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2096.JPG (126.7 KB, 19 views)
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to old fart For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 13:28   #14
niveketak
66 Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
I'm assuming these are correct, as the heater works.
Thanks for the picture mate much appreciated.

Just a question from the image, does the hose from the base of the heater matrix go to the L shaped pipe on the head or to the red metal pipe down the side of the head. Difficult to see on the pic.
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 13:45   #15
old fart
Master Member

Pipe from bottom of matrix goes to the L shaped bracket, hose from the other pipe goes to the valve. It's no wonder you couldn't tell from the pic, it's hard enough to see from 6 inches away!
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to old fart For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 14:44   #16
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

niveketak;

That hose routing sounds correct, but if Cooling Sys is hot and you get no heat from Heating/Defrost Sys (presumably when Heater Control Valve is set to warm), that confirms a blockage in that path...typically HCV or Bowden Control cable to same, but ANY blockage would obviously lead to the same result.

Correct Heater/Defrost Sys hose routing: https://www.sw-em.com/Cooling_System...efrost_systems Hose routing is actually not critical for cooling, and improper routing by itself is unlikely to cause overheating...

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 14:57   #17
niveketak
66 Amazon

No blockage found as yet all seem to run free so still fiddling!
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 21:55   #18
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

...or if Heater Control Valve is open and there's no Coolant flow, a big bubble where we would want Coolant! I recommend you burp your system!
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 09:06   #19
niveketak
66 Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
...or if Heater Control Valve is open and there's no Coolant flow, a big bubble where we would want Coolant! I recommend you burp your system!
How on earth do you burb a cooling system Ron? On that subject though, yesterday the heater hoses were getting hot but, the temp gauge was up towards max and there was the sound of over pressuring which would mean you are probably right I think. If you can break down the "burp" scenario I would be happy to have a go it is getting very frustrating at the moment.
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 09:52   #20
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Another basic question from me!!!

When you say the thing is overheating, what do you mean exactly?
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote