Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Don't Use BREMBO brake pads !!!

Views : 2840

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2020, 09:02   #11
Javaman365
Arthur Daley's Understudy

In the interests of balance....
I formerly had a Honda CRV, and the " new OEM" brakes went wobbly just outside of warranty.
Rather then argue, I bought brembo discs and pads.
My spanner man made a house call and was relieved I hadn't bought Pagid, as he'd had return 3 batches of pads and discs which had all worn out in under 3 months each time.

You pays your money etc..... Every manufacturer has off days, though you'd like to think a brake manufacturer didn't!
Javaman365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 11:07   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikewatch2000 View Post
just a warning to anyone thinking of using Brembo brake pads.

18 months ago i replaced both rear discs and one calliper so decided to use Brembo pads.

two weekends ago i was driving and all of a sudden noticed a loss of braking efficiency and a sudden screeching noise.
I stopped to check and saw the one rear disc was scoring as there was no material left on the outer brake pad. They have done less than 20 thousand miles.

this weekend i removed the pads and in doing so when lifting off the calliper the lining from the inner pad fell out. there was over 6 mm of material left.
on checking the other side i found both pads had 7mm of friction material left but one pad was showing definite signed of lifting from the metal.

anyone who has these fitted i would suggest keeping an eye out for any similar problems. luckily i was only travelling at low speeds when this happened and i am not a boy racer as my average of 35+ mpg suggest (auto diesel) so they have not had a hard life.
and those who may consider these pads as an option, i'd think twice.

safe driving
always stick to volvo pads NONE are better ...
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 22:32   #13
madspark01

On the issue of the Brembo pads one of my mates is a manager for 2 branches of a national motor factors and I asked him about brembo pads for my van and he made it clear to stay away from them. To use his words not worth the money and un reliable due to the amount of returns and warranty issues with them ie garages claiming against the chain for labour to replace due to failure. He can't understand why they are still selling them.
This is only his opinion but an informed opinion non the less.
madspark01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to madspark01 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 19:45   #14
kenny
Master Member

I fitted a set of Brembo discs and pads to a Tiguan bought from a German supplier and found them great but have since fitted a set to an X3 bought from Euro crap parts and they warped very quickly. Sent them back and sent months fighting on a warranty claim. Only got my money back after involving my credit card company.
I have since fitted Textar who are OEM for BMW just now again bought from a German supplier.

Be careful where you buy so you know you are getting the real deal.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kenny For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 22:40   #15
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Indeed, the main thing is, avoid ecp and buy genuine from such as misterauto! (Or Ferodo from suttonautofactors right here in uk)
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 22:54   #16
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
always stick to volvo pads NONE are better ...
I've lost count of the number of newbies on here over the past 6 years with persistent brake pulling and judder problems - fixed by fitting a set of genuine discs and pads. The 2.25T XC90 is hard on brakes.

Another bag of sh*te to avoid is Apec. I bought a XC60 last year and it needed front brakes, the seller agreed to do them, I asked for genuine parts but Apec were fitted. Already juddering 8k miles later, will be swapping them for some proper ones in a few weeks.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 23:46   #17
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I've lost count of the number of newbies on here over the past 6 years with persistent brake pulling and judder problems - fixed by fitting a set of genuine discs and pads. The 2.25T XC90 is hard on brakes.

Another bag of sh*te to avoid is Apec. I bought a XC60 last year and it needed front brakes, the seller agreed to do them, I asked for genuine parts but Apec were fitted. Already juddering 8k miles later, will be swapping them for some proper ones in a few weeks.
Actually... As much as it pains me to say it, I have found Apec ok! In the past I replaced some crappy mintex discs with Apec which were nicely made and performed/lasted well. Didnt dabble witt their pads uniti recently, my wifes octavia needed new brakes, they worked very well indeed buy were well worn. Upon removal I found that all was Apec,,and was suitably impressed/astonished.
Since that I ended up fitting Apec pads to rear of my V70, amd they alone improved the stopping power,,though can be cooked if pushing hard, regardless, they are working well! Coupled now with Ferodo pads/discs up front, the braking is significantly better now than when purchased.

Last edited by AndyV7o; Feb 29th, 2020 at 23:49.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2020, 12:13   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Actually... As much as it pains me to say it, I have found Apec ok! In the past I replaced some crappy mintex discs with Apec which were nicely made and performed/lasted well. Didnt dabble witt their pads uniti recently, my wifes octavia needed new brakes, they worked very well indeed buy were well worn. Upon removal I found that all was Apec,,and was suitably impressed/astonished.
Since that I ended up fitting Apec pads to rear of my V70, amd they alone improved the stopping power,,though can be cooked if pushing hard, regardless, they are working well! Coupled now with Ferodo pads/discs up front, the braking is significantly better now than when purchased.
The Apex pads in my 340 are just fine , but more dust than the volvo ones which i can no longer get . there is also a light squeek below 5 mph when coming to a gentle stop . That happens to the renault clio next door too , you can always tell when they come home :-) The last batch volvo made had the material 4 mm thinner ! The rear brakes are 32 years old and still show no noticeable wear or leaks ! Thats typical by the way not a special example .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Genuine volvo pads 1.jpg (145.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Genuine volvo pads 2.jpg (176.7 KB, 6 views)