Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone have the Polestar package on an XC90 T8?

Views : 1103

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2020, 09:18   #1
Kingmunky

Default Anyone have the Polestar package on an XC90 T8?

Saw my local dealer has an offer on just now, something like £749 reduced to £498, for Polestar. Reading up on it, it looks as though it's worth the money but I'd like to find out what the real-world effect is on mpg, gear changes, smoothness, acceleration etc etc. Weigh in with your tuppence worth.
Kingmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 09:34   #2
Kingmunky

Wee I just decided to go with it and got the upgrade yesterday and what a difference!

The acceleration has obviously improved but the gearbox is the biggest difference, it's smoother, so much quicker - almost instantaneous with the gear changes, and best of all that 1 second lag when you put your foot down has disappeared. Car feels like a different beast, well worth the money imo.

Right, I'm off to turn a 10 minute drive into an hour long trip!
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 23:31   #3
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmunky View Post
Wee I just decided to go with it and got the upgrade yesterday and what a difference!

The acceleration has obviously improved but the gearbox is the biggest difference, it's smoother, so much quicker - almost instantaneous with the gear changes, and best of all that 1 second lag when you put your foot down has disappeared. Car feels like a different beast, well worth the money imo.

Right, I'm off to turn a 10 minute drive into an hour long trip!
Do you have the factory 390 or 407 model?
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 11:04   #4
Kingmunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
Do you have the factory 390 or 407 model?
Had to google those references, but I'm pretty sure mine was just 313hp from the dealer. It's a 2017 T8 Momentum.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 08:43   #5
Director76
Master Member

Thanks - I think there were several flavours of ICE, the 313hp you have was
upgraded to 320hp at some point (maybe 2018, as this is the spec of my MY18.5) and then it was reduced again to 303hp for MY19 (I think due to the introduction of a gasoline particulate filter). Hence 400, 407 and most recently 390 total PHEV power.

Our car goes back in 10 months time, and I am thinking of ordering a new T8 soon, but I am a little concerned that I will notice a 17 horsepower drop, so I’m interested if anybody has polestar on 390 which I think takes power back to a healthier 404?
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 09:12   #6
Jackysi

I love polestar on my V90 Diesel too, it makes huge difference. But what I was trying to say here was, it's a little "annoying" that Volvo doesn't offer this as "free" or part of car purchase. I get it their point is to make sluggish safe family cars, but in some cases the gearbox being so slow in unsafe. Also as you mentioned, gearbox with Polestar is just like it should be! awesome! So why the difference . Should've made it part of "official" car software not an expensive extra.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 09:31   #7
AB-UK
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackysi View Post
I love polestar on my V90 Diesel too, it makes huge difference. But what I was trying to say here was, it's a little "annoying" that Volvo doesn't offer this as "free" or part of car purchase. I get it their point is to make sluggish safe family cars, but in some cases the gearbox being so slow in unsafe. Also as you mentioned, gearbox with Polestar is just like it should be! awesome! So why the difference . Should've made it part of "official" car software not an expensive extra.
A very good point which has been frequently stated.
Volvo refuse to take note however.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 11:53   #8
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
Our car goes back in 10 months time, and I am thinking of ordering a new T8 soon, but I am a little concerned that I will notice a 17 horsepower drop, so I’m interested if anybody has polestar on 390 which I think takes power back to a healthier 404?
So, on the T8, dont think too much about the peak performance gains as you need a very, very good arse dyno to notice a 17bhp peak gain.
Where the Polestar optimisation is concerned, the biggest gain you get is in the mid-range where the power and torque gains are most noticeable over the stock engine software. The gearbox optimisation is also a very worthwhile benefit of the whole Polestar package too!!
In my opinion, its worth doing to get the mid-range increases alone and im sure with these increases, there will be some economy benefits if the car is driven in an economical way as the engine dosent have to rev as high to extract the same performance as stock, however, where is the fun in driving economically??!!

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 13:15   #9
Kingmunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
So, on the T8, dont think too much about the peak performance gains as you need a very, very good arse dyno to notice a 17bhp peak gain.
Where the Polestar optimisation is concerned, the biggest gain you get is in the mid-range where the power and torque gains are most noticeable over the stock engine software. The gearbox optimisation is also a very worthwhile benefit of the whole Polestar package too!!
In my opinion, its worth doing to get the mid-range increases alone and im sure with these increases, there will be some economy benefits if the car is driven in an economical way as the engine dosent have to rev as high to extract the same performance as stock, however, where is the fun in driving economically??!!
The other big benefit imo is that the car now holds a gear far longer when your foot goes down, so there's no concern when overtaking that it's going to change gear at an awkward moment - it just keeps pulling through the range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
A very good point which has been frequently stated.
Volvo refuse to take note however.
Yeah, there's something not right about it being sold as an upgrade but really is just the car working closer to it's potential.