Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbocharger dead

Views : 1247

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2009, 12:05   #1
alenas

Default Turbocharger dead

Hi,

I found a very nice C30 D5 '07 (black saphire with bronze dual tone, 18" etc) in Italy. It was a company car.
Problem is that turbocharger is dead (though engine starts). It has 120.000 KM on it, so no more warranty.
I never test drived a C30, but I like what I see.

I think that person did not change oil for a while, so on a hot day, twisty mountain roads it is pretty easy to kill turbo with old oil. Also I am afraid If that was the case, then engine could be worn out as well (rings, pistons, etc).

Do you know if Volvo turbo's are reliable? Could there be any other problems? What do you think - is it worth the risk getting that kind of car for a very low price?
alenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 12:41   #2
Bernard333
Premier Member

What price is it ? Its a good car and the cost of a new turbo would be relatively low compared to the cars value so would be a bit suspicious about the rest of it , why cant they be bothered getting it fixed and then getting a good price ? Personally I would never sell a car with a major fault as you are having to more or less give it away but I would certainly risk buying one , if it were a bit closer to home I would also be interested in it .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 13:30   #3
mick2404

Not quite the same car but a friend at work has a S40 TD.

His turbo died, and including fitting it came in at about 350 quid including a guaranteed re-con turbo..

HTH

Mick
mick2404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 13:45   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenas View Post
Hi,

I found a very nice C30 D5 '07 (black saphire with bronze dual tone, 18" etc) in Italy. It was a company car.
Problem is that turbocharger is dead (though engine starts). It has 120.000 KM on it, so no more warranty.
I never test drived a C30, but I like what I see.

I think that person did not change oil for a while, so on a hot day, twisty mountain roads it is pretty easy to kill turbo with old oil. Also I am afraid If that was the case, then engine could be worn out as well (rings, pistons, etc).

Do you know if Volvo turbo's are reliable? Could there be any other problems? What do you think - is it worth the risk getting that kind of car for a very low price?
Volvo's turbochargers are extremely reliable , i would get a check of the service history , the whole engine could be caked up inside , I recently came a cross a D5 which had been completely neglected from new to 38000 miles , It finaly expired when a piston melted due to the oil cooling jets blocking .. The whole inside of the engine was coated with 6 mm of what looked like filthy black grease .. The filter was completely disintegrated ..
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 23:05   #5
alenas

It is for 7500 euros (that is with shipping to Lithuania and finders fee).
I am very suspicios that there is much more to it, than just turbo.
Car belonged to some restaurant - it has logos on the doors - so i bet it was trashed a lot...
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 23:26   #6
grass hopper
Premier Member

i would leggit.gif as you could be chucking your money down the bog.gif
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 23:36   #7
alenas

Also I wonder if it is safe to drive a car with turbocharger not working?
Cause then turbo heats up a lot and it heats the oil - and oil inside turbo might not be circulating when it is not spinning and then it boils and makes all that fudge that later goes into the engine and clogs everything...It would not be hard to take whole engine apart and check/fix - but it would take a long time and lots of frustration
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 15:44   #8
Bernard333
Premier Member

I wouldnt drive it if the rotor is not spinning , I dont even know if you could drive a car with a seized turbo , if the rotor is spinning it would depend on how badly the oil seals have failed. If after the foregoing posts you still decide to buy the car I have a D5 turbo which I believe to be from a 185bhp engine . The turbo came off a low mileage car and appears in almost new condition the casting has no corrosion at all ( its done 8000kM) , its a one peice manifold/main casting as opposed to the older 163bhp D5 which is a completely separate turbo . The stepper motor has failed and this would need swopping from the other car , let me know if you are interested I would either sell it outright or swop it for your old turbo but you wont see many original Volvo/Garrett units for sale for this car until they have been around for a few more years and more start failing . I am not really too bothered wether or not I sell the turbo so dont feel under any pressure . You could also get a turbo refurb kit and fix the existing turbo yourself .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c30, diesel, turbocharger