Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF)

Views : 4775

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 18:53   #1
ian4richardson

Default V50 Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF)

My second hand V50 with 40,000 miles has just had a DMF failure. Can anyone advise on the design life for a DMF and whether a solid clutch can be fitted?
Thank you

Last edited by ian4richardson; Aug 2nd, 2012 at 18:54. Reason: update
ian4richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 19:14   #2
stuv7010v

they normally last to approx 80-100k miles but as with everything this depends on use.
kits to change to solid flywheel and modified clutch can be purchased from LUK or sachs.
but from experience i would not advise this nor would i do it to my own car,
the whole set up was designed with a dmf integral to the vibration damping of the engine, without it excess stress is put on gearbox and other components.
i can say 100% that it is a bad idea to change dmf for solid, i helped a friend remove the dmf from his p307 10k miles ago, the gearbox now chatters away on idle and its very harsh setting off and vibrations can be felt when maintaining steady speed.
hope this helps
stuv7010v is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuv7010v For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 19:28   #3
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

some say it is fine to go SMF but others which i have to agree with i was designed with DMF and you can damage the shafts because of the additional vibration.

it can be done though.

DMF's life really do depend on driving style most people say change up a bit higher not early on as this reduces the wear on the DMF because there is less vibrations at the slightly higher revs.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 19:47   #4
don kalmar union
Trader

Default Kalmar Union single mass flywheel.

I do keep single mass lightened flywheels in stock to mate with the M66 box that is in some cars....

You can find it here on my website: http://kalmar-union.com/parts/volvo-...-transmission/

regards, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 23:59   #5
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

IF your on the M66 box

Go Focus RS clutch and DMF got it in mine.. SO much better... can get it all done for £750 at pumabuild.... you'd be mad not to.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 18:35   #6
ian4richardson

WARNING Volvo second hand cars

Having driven a Vauxhaul for 140,000 miles, to then have the DMF (dual mass flywheel) fail on a Volvo at 40,000 miles is unacceptable performance for a major transmission component ~ it will cost £1,200-£1,500 to put right.

In Volvo's words they refuse to publicise component failure rates, but willing to contribute to the repairs of those with new cars and serviced by Volvo Dealers.

I wonder if this is a significant problem for the industry?

Second buyers - from my experience don't be fooled by the margue.
ian4richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 18:38   #7
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian4richardson View Post

Having driven a Vauxhaul for 140,000 miles, to then have the DMF (dual mass flywheel) fail on a Volvo at 40,000 miles is unacceptable performance for a major transmission component ~ it will cost £1,200-£1,500 to put right.

In Volvo's words they refuse to publicise component failure rates, but willing to contribute to the repairs of those with new cars and serviced by Volvo Dealers.

Erm, well, it is mainly only one engine which has the DMF failure and that is (mainly) the 2.0D. All the others have more or less no issues...

I'm not far from the 100.000 miles and my 2.0l PETROL has no issues what so ever with the DMF.

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 19:03   #8
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian4richardson View Post

it is just not volvo. some cars go for miles and miles without issue with the DMF it all depends on driving style changing up to early or letting it labour in a to higher gear for to long puts more strain on the DMF to remove the vibrations.

loads of cars suffer with DMF problems mainly diesels because of the more rough nature of them, and if you were trying to put off buyers of volvo to second hand cars there is very few cars without DMF these days not just volvo so getting fooled by a marque is a pile of toss.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 19:23   #9
harveys
Master Member

The DMF are very easy to damage if you get stuck some where and slip the clutch to much,and can smell it burning/cooking it.
I have seen a Mercedes sprinter DMF burnt out with only 1200 miles on it the heat will melt the spacers that separate The flywheel to the clutch friction steel plate surface.
They work very well if they are not abused and will last quite well.
Just to ask the cars that they fail on do you tow or is it loaded up most of the time or do you rest your foot on the clutch pedal.
harveys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dmf, fail, flywheel, low mileage, v50