Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Left foot braking.

Views : 4122

Replies : 76

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2018, 20:07   #31
m0bzy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
Used it a lot in old freewheel Saab 96s. Huge fun. Good in fwd for tucking nose in and getting tail up on its toes. With freewheel you could match engine revs under braking and pull out of corners swiftly. Huge fun cars.
Add the sound of that two-stroke.
m0bzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 21:36   #32
MikeGMT
VOC Member

I tried left foot braking on the way home tonight (roads were nice and quiet, and nothing behind as far as the eye could see), so thought I would give it a go. Result, I didn't smack my head on the screen but you could really feel the brakes come on although nowhere near a emergency stop. Not got the finnesse that my right foot has where I can smoothly taper the brake force. Guess it's a lot to do with muscle memory, think I'll just carry on with right foot braking as I can't really see any benefit for road driving.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 22:03   #33
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
all the time , you have two pedals and two feet !

Using your left foot for braking considerably helps with safety . I hover my left foot over the brake in tricky situations which saves valuable time if you need to stop quickly .
The same here. With a Auto I never brake with my right foot. In a manual then it's simple enough to go back to right foot braking. The engine and car sound is not the same between the two so you never forget what gearbox you are driving.

In karting you have to brake with your left foot. Many children struggle with Co-ordination as do more women than men. I find it strange that some drivers can manage a clutch with left foot but not the brake!
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 23:22   #34
canis
Non Fragile

It's simply that most people are used to pressing a clutch, which requires a lot more exertion than the brake. So when they try pressing the brake for the first time they brake more sharpley than they expected. That'd change with practice.

I'm confused by, someone said earlier, "keeping the revs up". How? On a manual, the relationship with the wheels and the engine is entirely fixed, pressing both brake and accelerator simultaneously would have each working against the other. What gives?
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 00:22   #35
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post

I'm confused by, someone said earlier, "keeping the revs up". How? On a manual, the relationship with the wheels and the engine is entirely fixed, pressing both brake and accelerator simultaneously would have each working against the other. What gives?
Hmm, I read that post and the thing that immediately sprang to mind was Heel and Toeing, a different topic altogether I know. Used to do this quite often when I had my Focus ST when looping the gears to match the revs, but of course you would eventually have to dip the clutch.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeGMT For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 06:31   #36
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
It's simply that most people are used to pressing a clutch, which requires a lot more exertion than the brake. So when they try pressing the brake for the first time they brake more sharpley than they expected. That'd change with practice.

More common on narrow power band competition engines, by braking with your left foot against the engine you slow or settle the car while keeping the engine in the power band, relaxing the brakes sees the car already accelerating.
The likes of Roger Clarke and Ari Vatanen in the ford RS were masters of it, along with clutchless gear changes long before the advent of sequential gearboxes.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 08:12   #37
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
More common on narrow power band competition engines, by braking with your left foot against the engine you slow or settle the car while keeping the engine in the power band, relaxing the brakes sees the car already accelerating.
With a manual gearbox???
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 16:22   #38
pookie
Premier Member

Quote:
With a manual gearbox???
Yup!

Salut!
Pookie
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 19:32   #39
pookie
Premier Member

Rather like Clan, I've driven many different vehicles in my time including ( I think a Lanchester ) with the accelerator in the middle of the three pedals and the left hand pedal actuating the gear change. No left foot braking on that one!
However I have always used my left foot to brake my 855R and lots of other automatics. There have been some very interesting replies to my question for which I thank you all.

Salut!

Pookie
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 20:51   #40
Father Ted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
Hmm, I read that post and the thing that immediately sprang to mind was Heel and Toeing, a different topic altogether I know. Used to do this quite often when I had my Focus ST when looping the gears to match the revs, but of course you would eventually have to dip the clutch.
That's what I thought, too.
I used to have to do that in my Cavalier as it would stall easily when hot (never cold). Couldn't get to the bottom of it, so sold it instead!