Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Crankshaft pulley/damper holding tool

Views : 1447

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:33   #1
iisansi

Default Crankshaft pulley/damper holding tool

I'm about to embark on changing the timing belts on my 940 2.4tic, but need to source the tool that locks the crank pulley/damper (is it Volvo tool 5187?).
Would prefer to hire/beg/borrow. Any suggestions?

I've scanned this forum, but not found anything - unless I were to spend days searching!
iisansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:57   #2
jor
VOC 20573

Default timing belt

You are welcome to borrow mine should you, or anyone you know, be passing through NW London anytime in the near future. The tool costs around ₤45 from Volvo, which is a bit much for something only used once every few years, particularly if you are going to change the tensioner and water pump which are similarly priced.

jor

Last edited by jor; Jul 2nd, 2009 at 12:00.
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 12:08   #3
iisansi

Thanks - I'll bear it in mind. As I live near Exeter, logistics might be a problem, so I'll keep you posted
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 22:12   #4
HEAVY747

Talking

Post the tool!! But pay a deposit upfront to keep matters sweet. Then post tool back and get refund. One thing - use new bolt from stealership when putting pulley back on. You can always take starter motor off and jam fly wheel tooth with strong screwdriver will work
HEAVY747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 14:34   #5
MRDART

While you have the pulley/ damper out make a drawing or a photocopy of it and make a proper tool...
Best regards/ MRDART
MRDART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 23:57   #6
John Davies
VOC Member

I made one several years ago but can't find it. If it turns up I will post photos.

Basically - removed radiator - there was no aircon or air conditioning on that car so life was simple. Cut out four small L shaped pieces of 2 x 2 x 5/16 angle iron (only size I had around), to fit recesses on pulley, attached these to cardboard pattern with masking tape, and then transferred them to the centre of a 240/740 rear brake disc - I had already removed all bar a ring about 1 1/2 " wide around the central hole with a grinder.

Tack welded them to ring, tried for size, then seam welded when I was sure. Attached more angle to the ring - to both outer edges, and joined at the top, making a V.

Wedged it under chassis - took 1 and a quarter hours to make and worked a treat until I found the proper thing on ebay!

Regards

John Davies
John   Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 08:29   #7
iisansi

Thanks for all your replies. After much consideration, have decided to take vehicle off the road and take time to give it a bit more renovation, so have bitten the bullet and bought the tool from local independent.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 22:36   #8
jor
VOC 20573

If you are going to go as far as taking it off the road you might consider a thinner HG. Would require someone to measure the height of the pistons, but if there's enough room to take one or two layers out of the part one there are considerable power gains to be had.
The other way of doing it is to modify the pump, as Peter Milnes did with his. He managed 180 hp or thereabouts all the more remarkable on a fuel consumption of 38mpg! His was done professionally, I think that unless you know what you are doing you will probably just end up with more smoke and there is the potential for doing damage.
BTW if you are going to remove the exhaust to rod the cat use a nut splitter, as the studs are not very strong.

jor

Last edited by jor; Sep 14th, 2009 at 22:39.
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 18:10   #9
iisansi

Thanks, Jor - this is tempting.
I have already opened another thread on how to improve lower-down power, as I couldn't relocate much earlier posts on this topic. Would you know where I could locate information on Peter Milnes' "tweeks"?

iisansi