Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spill off pipe problems

Views : 1138

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 21:41   #1
John Davies
VOC Member

Default Spill off pipe problems

I have recently reconditioned my 760's engine and am having problems, with, of all the stupid things, the spill off pipes.

I have always used genuine Bosch in the past - a pest to get on but once on tends to last for years. However, I am having trouble now finding any, and the Bosch agents listed locally only in fact do commercial stuff and don't stock it and are not interested in getting it - so much for the Bosch website. Can't get reconditioned injectors locally either

However the pattern stuff seems to last only weeks before the damn things start leaking again.

As far as I can see once problem is simply that by the time the returned diesel gets to the pump there is quite a lot of it in terms of volume - the leakage is worse - and the tendancy of a pipe to fail - gets worse the closer one gets to the injector pump - surely it would have been better to have used a larger bore - 1/4 pipe and had each injector return pipe joining to it. Ah well.

Anyone else had this problem, and found a permanent solution? Apart from this the engine is going well, and has just passed an MOT and flown through the emissions test so I doubt it is an injector problem.

I am going to put cable ties on the pipes 'for now' but presumably as the rubber continues to give they will need replacement and renewal on a frequent basis and I prefer to do a job once and forget it. Apart from tapping the injectors and plumbing a return system in copper pipe as on every other diesel I have worked on there seems to be little chance of that but I will do it if I get fed up enough!!

regards

John Davies

Last edited by John Davies; Sep 2nd, 2009 at 21:46.
John   Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 20:28   #2
John Davies
VOC Member

Update - cable ties don't fit - they are too thick.

The hose I have been buying - two types from two motor factors I trust and use a lot - appears to be deficient. One is maked 3.2mm but is closer to 3.8, the other has hairline cracks running up the inside - ie.e not compatible with the fuel used.

I have now found the type used on my other diesels called 'sky', and very close to bosch quality. I'lll let you know how it works.

If all else fails 3mm washer tubing will fit if the end is placed in hot water, and seems thick enough walled, but would be difficult to put on nos. 5 and 6 injectors with the pump still in place. Being a fraction thinner in terms of outside diameter there may even be room for a clip of some sort if needed or a twist of copper wire.

Regards

John.

Last edited by John Davies; Sep 5th, 2009 at 20:32.
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 21:41   #3
sqig

hi, search for Cheltenham Diesel on the internet and give us a call, we have got leak off pipe and can post it to you, just mention i told u on here
sqig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 21:46   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

why dont you just get some from your volvo dealer ? That lasts indefinitly !
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 22:13   #5
John Davies
VOC Member

There is no longer a Volvo agent locally, and I have never had a problem with aftermarket spill pipe before - it's a simple enough product, or so one would have thought.

John D
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 01:42   #6
jor
VOC 20573

I used Halford's 3.4mm fuel line for the injector return pipe, changed a year ago and in view of your finding I'll check tomorrow to make sure they are dry. Didn't occur to me to get them from Volvo, though I do try and get as much as I can from them these days, last purchase was a battery at ₤87, about the same as a Bosch silver plus, but seeing as the one on it's way out lasted me 5 years and the previous owner a few more likely to be just as good.

jor
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 10:35   #7
MRDART

I secured my hoses with 0.8 mm lockwire....
MRDART is offline   Reply With Quote