Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Injector pump overhaul

Views : 1991

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 5th, 2009, 22:48   #1
John Davies
VOC Member

Default Injector pump overhaul

Having finally got all our Volvos sorted (o.k., I still have to replace a front wing on my wife's 960) and my rebuilt D24TIC engine up and running, I thought I'd start getting bits together to overhaul a spare injection pump - only to find a total dearth of parts and information!

There is plently of data on the internet about later Bosch pumps, and overhaul kits available but nothing on ours, perhaps because it was primarily an industrial unit.

Anyone know of any overhaul instructions and calibration data, and sources of spare parts? Rapid Parts in the States used to do VW golf/rabbit kits which were o.k. for ours (though you needed two kits as it was only a four cylinder) but they no longer list anything.

Anyone any ideas? (Apart from the wiseacres who will doubtless say leave it to the professionals, I enjoy all mechanical work and hardly ever do so if I can posssibly help it.)

Thanks

John D

Last edited by John Davies; Sep 6th, 2009 at 00:45.
John   Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 00:34   #2
jor
VOC 20573

I think you should ask Tom Bryant for help with this if you are determined to do it yourself, he would probably advise against doing it in the first place. He would at least tell you where to get the parts as he offers a rebuild service. There's a thread on the topic on the d24 list and it's current. There's something on Bosch pumps on the Australian Land Rover forums, possibly generic.

jor
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 00:42   #3
John Davies
VOC Member

Thanks for this, and yes, I'll try Tom. Just wondered if there was anything closer to hand.

Have tried the Landrover site but the pump seems too new.

Amazing isn't it? We think of the US as being a throw away society and yet the number of times we have to look accross the pond to keep our old nails on the road is quite incredible - they seem far more willing than us Brits to get their hands dirty and keep something old on the road by reconditioning their own stuff.

Perhaps it is just that their population is four times the size!

Regards

John D

Last edited by John Davies; Sep 6th, 2009 at 00:45.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 10:29   #4
MRDART

I saw a chinese website dealing with dieselpump spares what parts do you need?? there is supposed to be a 11mm pumphead assy available that is intended for the dodge /cummins engine. More fuel can´t be wrong can it??
Anyway bosch should be able to supply all the parts you need however it may cost a bit...
I was lucky enough to browse through the swedish advertising page called blocket where a guy had a brand new bosch pump... I bought it instantly....
I think he has one more if you are interested... he wanted about 500 pounds for one pump....
MRDART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 12:49   #5
jor
VOC 20573

I don't think it will be of much use, but presumably if a V.A.G. workshop manual booklet on the diesel injection and glowplug system exists for the VW Polo diesel (1.4L), then somewhere on the planet there is one for the LT 25, 35, or 45 directly applicable to your cars.
I got it thinking it was something else. It should give you some idea of general principles and of course those special tools required, let me know if you would like a copy.

jor
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 17:35   #6
Laney760
VOC Member

This seller on Ebay reakons he has the right VW Diesel Bosch injector pump rebuild kit for most pumps, you have to give him your 10 digit pump number

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Di...Q5fAccessories

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 00:10   #7
jor
VOC 20573

Here's a link to a step by step of a Bosch pump rebuild.
If this doesn't put you off the idea nothing will..

http://www.vwdieselparts.com/forum/v...epve+stripdown

jor
The Following User Says Thank You to jor For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 22:30   #8
John Davies
VOC Member

Thanks for this Jor - very helpful indeed, not least in terms of diagnosis. The main problem seems to be that any real wear on the piston or body and you are up the creek. Seals replacement however should be a possibility.

Will let you know how I get on.

Regards

John