Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel particulate filter and rising oil levels discussion

Views : 154694

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2016, 23:46   #41
5cilinder
Premier Member

The 7% was minimum and was sometimes more due to thos enviroment terrorists that wanted soyoil from burned woods
The engines should be the same in the varying models
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2016, 00:59   #42
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
I think the biofuel content was at least 7% and even over 10% in some cases (in the past)
I have both ecu maps with and without the dpf software update and they seem to run under the same lamdas during regeneration (including post injection) also the regeneration intervals are the same
I had no rising oilevels with both of them but biocontent is max 2% over here

Now with more modern dieselengines nowadays with piezo injectors there are more injections pro cycle possible so maybe that curbs a bit
And if the oilring is different (source?} than it could a be bit of a difference
But with the older dpf d5ś it was almost the german and uk d5ś with the high biodiesel content that had the excessive problems
Bio diesel is a real good additive, as it keeps the fuel system nice and clean, in fact tests have shown it's better than most in-tank fuel additives in both lubricity and cleaning terms.

Early DPF systems were designed to increase long term main block wear rates, by contaminating the oil with fuel. The Bio fraction is much less volatile than normal diesel. The flaspoint of normal diesel is around 50, but for Bio diesel it's around 80c which is often not as high as the oil temp, so it accumulates if you short trip a lot.
I've seen contamination figures as high as 10% in a used oil analysis, when the limit is 2% for no significant long term effect.

Diesel is the second worst oil contaminant to ant-freeze, as it thins the oil down, often turning an SAE 30 into a 20. That is often thin enough to make the block rattle when fully warm.
It also interferes with the anti-wear, extreme pressure and in particular the friction modifier additives included in a major brand top of the range oil.

There are 2 ways of reducing the extra wear rates that result from contaminated diesel, firstly, move up one grade from OEM, which means using an Xw40 and change the oil far more often. Secondly use an additive like Liqui Moly Ceratec to boost the anti wear and friction modifying additives, then if you move up one grade to an Xw40 the max recommended oil change interval might be OK.

Ceratec is in my opinion the best oil additive around for older engines or ones that contaminate their oil. It contains hBn, a hexagonal form of Boron Nitride in an ultra fine suspension (It's a nano particle ceramic) AND more traditional Moly (Mo).
If you use a good major brand oil, the extra Mo is not needed, but the hBn is. Oddly enough Liqui Moly Ceratec is also real good at protecting a block if it gets overheated or subject to a leaky head gasket. Alas it will not prevent the head warping if you do a full steam train job.

Have a happy Christamas all!

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Dec 25th, 2016 at 01:05.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 25th, 2016, 01:12   #43
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
The 7% was minimum and was sometimes more due to thos enviroment terrorists that wanted soyoil from burned woods
The engines should be the same in the varying models
Soya oil (It's probably rapeseed) is a Veggie oil and there is some added to diesel (About 1% in Go Green countries). It's not good news as it tends to either be dirty to start with, or contains other contaminants that are not good news. It's also a negative in lubricity terms, although only if you use a lot of it and don't use a good fuel additive or about 10% Bio diesel.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Dec 25th, 2016 at 01:33.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 00:50   #44
Nickthecook

Default You need to check this before spending £100's on new parts.

I've owned a Euro4 V70 D5 for nearly 4 years and have spent a lot of time investigating the DPF Problems. Primarily, the issue lays with an EGR design problem. Volvo's information regarding this system, is some what ambiguous. The system should have a 2nd MAP Sensor after the Throttle Module, as can be seen on the Euro5 D5. Without this, the ECM can only 'Guess' what's going on based on information taken from other sensors.

The system is based on Ford2003. A High Pressure Loop EGR, that creates a pressure drop on the intake side, by using the throttle plate to restrict boost pressure and adjusting the VGT Vanes to increase exhaust pressure. However, what happens if your EGR is blocked? Or there's a fault with one of the sensors used to calculate this pressure drop? It is possible for a vacuum to be created between the throttle and the cylinders without the ECM having any indication. It might take a 'Perfect Storm' for this to happen, but due to another problem I've identified, the first time the owner has any idea there's a problem, will be the dreaded 'Soot Filter Full'Message. But that's not all, this problem will also prevent a proper regeneration from taking place, here's why.

All of these sensors and modules rely on electrical power and although your voltage readings may be fine, low amperage output from the alternator will struggle to push that voltage past any resistance. The early Euro4's alternator, is controlled by the ECM via the LIN Network. There is a very simple way to tell if there's a problem, but for whatever reason Volvo left it out of the owners handbook. If, when the key is turned to ignition pos2 the 'Check Engine' symbol fails to illuminate, it indicates an ECM Power supply problem (Source VIDA.) With the power steering pump situated directly above the alternator, a few drips of hydraulic fluid onto the carbon brushes is all it takes to significantly reduce output. Early Euro4's were also fitted with a specific type of alternator called an 'Overrunning Alternator Decoupler,' or A.O.D. for short. At the time of production, the pulleys were only available from one firm worldwide, based in North America. They gave the pulleys a surprisingly short life span under optimal conditions, of only 50k miles. My D5 has always been lumpy at idle, something I've always assumed was due to worn engine pads, but I was wrong. The vibration at idle was infact caused by the Alternator pulley.

So far we have the problematic HPL EGR and an alternator that despite charging the battery, is failing in all other areas, now comes the kicker.

The DPF Pressure Sensor is connected to a 5v Reference Circuit (Circuit 2,) as are many other sensors, including the DPF Temp sensor, MAF Temperature Sensor, MAP Sensor and quite a few others. It takes only one of these to develop a fault and it will effect the rest of the sensors on the circuit. However, the alternators drop in output coupled to a 5v ref fault, does seem to over sensitize the DPF Pressure Sensor. With my vehicle, it was the changes made by the HPL EGR on a gear change that caused the 'Soot Filter Full' Messages warning.

Bringing it all together, the setting the ECM puts the car into for regeneration be it with or without the presence of the 'Soot Filter Full,' and reduced power (BTW, 'Limp Mode,' doesn't knock out the Turbo, it reduces fuel flow.) does nothing to improve matters, infact it makes them worse. The DPF Temp Sensor reading will be overstated due to the 5v ref fault and a host of other data required for successful regeneration, will also be skewed for the same reason. Therefore the ECM may think it's reached that critical 600°C, when infact it's under 300°C. Only at that ideal 2,200rpm, will the throttle open enough to prevent the vacuum I mentioned earlier, from sucking oil past the rings, further restricting the DPF (in regen the EGR is fixed at 95% closed.) You may find you get a 'Soot Filter Full,' mesaage, that goes when the engine has been off for 5 minutes or more. This means it is a 'Spike' in pressure, not calculated soot loading, that has caused the message. Spikes are mostly caused by an electrical problem elsewhere. The majority of the data required for the DPF System to function properly, is gathered from sensors on that 5v ref. The same goes for the EGR, which WILL cause genuine DPF Problems.

My 5v ref system was playing up due to a faulty A/C pressure sensor, however it wasn't until I fitted a remanufactured alternator that the ECM finally picked it up. I had MAF Temperatures of -40°C, 7psi boost at idle, 400hpa DPF Pressure at idle and DPF Temperatures of pushing 1,000°c, yet the only fault the ECM could identify.....you got it, the DPF Pressure.

Remanufactured alternator was £140 (less £30 if you return your old one.) P.s. if you need to replace the DPF Pressure Sensor, it has to be a genuine Volvo one (ok, so it's actually a Ford part.) Aftermarket pressure sensors will NOT adapt in range.

BTW, before carrying out the work, I honestly thought the engine was old and ready for scrap at 238,000 miles. It is now quieter and smoother than at any point whilst I've owned it.

Sadly, Volvo only do as VIDA says The first thing they do is read the codes, which in this case is of no use. Yes, replacing the DPF will provide a temporary fix as the flow is so good the faults won't push it into the danger zone......YET.

I can't say this will be the same for all Euro4's. Later models have their alternators connected to the CEM, rather than ECM. But I'd it's using silly amounts of oil, it's down to the Throttle plate causing a vacuum, and that can be happen for other reasons also.
Nickthecook is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickthecook For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 17:26   #45
Bigfoot13

Default 2018 V90 D4 rising oil level

Today, I have taken in my V90 as the oil level notification message came up. This is the second time- first time was approximately a year ago, if I remember correctly. I have had the car for 18 months and it was serviced in April.

It seems that the problem has not been sorted out at all. Volvo are doing an oil change under warranty at present but I will be interested to see if they try to get me to pay once out of warranty. They have been very helpful- neither time have I called prior to arriving at the garage and both times they have fitted me in immediately.
Bigfoot13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2020, 10:10   #46
MoraruM

Default S90 D4 my18 oil rising level

Hi guys
I have bought a volvo s90 18plate from motorpoint just before the lockdown
I have been to Volvo once with the oil raising issue paid to have it fixed .Since i bought the car I drove about 2000 miles mainly 30 miles trips twice a day week days . I drive with the auto stop start off it is annoying to keep it on I live in London. I have a Peugeot van 64 plate and when regenerate process happens I have a light and a message on dashboard DPF cleaning keep vehicle moving.
Can someone advise if this is gone be a permanent issue can it be sorted
Can I do something to watch it .Can Volvo do something?
Can I take legall action?
I have paid 20k for the car .
Thanks
MoraruM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 12:42   #47
richardbowen

Default diesel engines

This post is quite helpful.
richardbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2020, 10:02   #48
Agro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot13 View Post
Today, I have taken in my V90 as the oil level notification message came up. This is the second time- first time was approximately a year ago, if I remember correctly. I have had the car for 18 months and it was serviced in April.

It seems that the problem has not been sorted out at all. Volvo are doing an oil change under warranty at present but I will be interested to see if they try to get me to pay once out of warranty. They have been very helpful- neither time have I called prior to arriving at the garage and both times they have fitted me in immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoraruM View Post
Hi guys
I have bought a volvo s90 18plate from motorpoint just before the lockdown
I have been to Volvo once with the oil raising issue paid to have it fixed .Since i bought the car I drove about 2000 miles mainly 30 miles trips twice a day week days . I drive with the auto stop start off it is annoying to keep it on I live in London. I have a Peugeot van 64 plate and when regenerate process happens I have a light and a message on dashboard DPF cleaning keep vehicle moving.
Can someone advise if this is gone be a permanent issue can it be sorted
Can I do something to watch it .Can Volvo do something?
Can I take legall action?
I have paid 20k for the car .
Thanks
I've had this problem for years with both our cars (2014 XC70 D5 with 42000klms and 2013 V40 D4 5 cyl with 26000 klms). The V40 is the worst of the 2 and I've extracted over 1 litre of oil from it over a 6 month period.

No one can give me a sensible answer. The Volvo dealer told me that it's because "we don't drive the cars enough, the cars do not get a change to allow the DFP to go through the regeneration process so it dumps the soot into the sump". Makes perfect sense doesn't it?

I've had the old oil from both cars tested and they both got a pass. I've given up trying to find out.

The dealer's oil of choice down here is ELF Solaris FE 5W-30 which doesn't meet the required Acea A5/B5 spec.

For a long time I used Penrite Full Synthetic 5W-30 which does meet ACEA A5/B5.

I decided to change to Penrite HRR 5 Diesel 5W-40 Semi Synthetic (higher heat tolerance in warmer environments) and this seems to have reduced the issue but not resolved it. Oils stays cleaner for longer and doesn't grow as much.

I also regularly check the oil levels of both cars; change them every 6 or so months, and ensure the levels stay just below full. To extract any oil I have a syringe attached to a 4mm ID plastic tube (such as used is garden micro irrigation); shove it down the dip stick hole and suck out what I need.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Agro; Jul 19th, 2020 at 11:00.
Agro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 17:35   #49
John Laidlaw
JDL,Wirral

sorry for the 'holy thread resurrection' moment
But my XC90 had the oil overfill issue in March this year whilst still under warranty, dealer just drained, refilled I was told. I wonder if they did a forced regen or not? They were remarkably quiet about the whole thing really.
Anyway fast forward to this week, I decided to have a quick look at the car status and it shows the oil level again overfilled (no warning lights though).
The car is out of warranty so I'm wonering whether it will be sufficient just to get a local 'Kwik Fit' type of organisation to do an Oil change and filter change?
That way the level will right again at least.
Car is driving OK, it's on a 4 year lease until May 2021 but it's making me nervous as of course during this strange year it's not being driven enough...
thoughts?
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 00:18   #50
Agro

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Laidlaw View Post
sorry for the 'holy thread resurrection' moment
But my XC90 had the oil overfill issue in March this year whilst still under warranty, dealer just drained, refilled I was told. I wonder if they did a forced regen or not? They were remarkably quiet about the whole thing really.
Anyway fast forward to this week, I decided to have a quick look at the car status and it shows the oil level again overfilled (no warning lights though).
The car is out of warranty so I'm wonering whether it will be sufficient just to get a local 'Kwik Fit' type of organisation to do an Oil change and filter change?
That way the level will right again at least.
Car is driving OK, it's on a 4 year lease until May 2021 but it's making me nervous as of course during this strange year it's not being driven enough...
thoughts?
Depends if you are due for an oil and filter change. If not then go to a chemist and buy a large 50ml or larger syringe, then a hardware and get a 400mm length of 4mm ID micro irrigation riser tube that will fit onto the syringe (you may also be able to get something similar from an auto parts store). Stick the tube down the dip stick hole and suck out as much oil as needed until you reach the middle of the min/max level. Check the level regularly and repeat as required.

Tip.. Remove the syringe from the tube rather than pull the whole thing in and out each time.